Seeking opinions/advice on current best options

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Seeking opinions/advice on current best options

Postby Dark Horse » 06 Jul 2004, 19:08

This posting is being written in the hopes that I can get pointed in some good directions and hopefully get some good advice along the way. I have posted it in two threads because I don’t know which one it is better suited in. Mods please help, your decisions will be respected.

I am hitting a crossroads in my situation in Taiwan and need to know which is the best way to move. I have spent a lot of time reading postings on these forums that relate to my situation but still find it confusing and sometimes information seems dated.

To make it easier to follow I will bullet the important points

Dark Horse
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 305
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 10:45
2 Recognized(s)


Postby Falcon » 07 Jul 2004, 21:11

Hartzell is knowledgeable about Legal Matters. He is only an email away. He generally meets people in the lobby of where his office is in Neihu, Taipei.

Basically, if you are happy with your current work situation, then stay there for the time being. "Open Work Permits" apply to those married to Taiwan nationals. Permanent Residency is NT$10,000 if you meet the requirements. It is not a small piece of change, but then it does appear that P.R. gives you the right to apply with the CLA to get a work permit that lets you do anything. (You still have to apply, according to what I understand, as compared to the "foreign spouses" who do not even need to apply, when their residency is based on marriage.)

Renouncing US citizenship is not an option, since Taiwan is not considered a sovereign nation by the world community. Moreover . . . . when you travel to foreign countries on an ROC passport . . . . . who will believe you are "Chinese"?? Hence, they may suspect your passport is forged . . . . .



Postby Satellite TV » 08 Jul 2004, 23:29

Moreover . . . . when you travel to foreign countries on an ROC passport . . . . . who will believe you are "Chinese"?? Hence, they may suspect your passport is forged . . . . .[/quote]

Really, I've never had more than the odd smirk when traveling on my ROC passport with my nice digital white face.

Do asians get their Euro or US Aussie Canadian passports scrutinized more carefully becuase they are not white.
It's even more amusing to apply for your Compatriot Visa for China but they still let you in. And for Malaysia they give you your own travel document so they dont have to stamp your ROC passport.

Better yet is going back to your country of birth. They'll just thinkyour eccentric... but most of the foreigners who live here long term are probably that way anyways. Especially those with ROC nationality.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Posts: 7073
Joined: 18 Jun 2004, 11:10



Return to Dual Nationality

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: IceEagle and 2 visitors

In theory one is aware that the earth revolves, but in practice one does not perceive it, the ground upon which one treads seems not to move, and one can live undisturbed. So it is with Time in one's life -- MARCEL PROUST, The Past Recaptured, 1927