Taiwanese citizenship via marriage

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Taiwanese citizenship via marriage

Postby Pioneer Kuro » 03 Jul 2009, 09:33

I am in the process of applying for the ROC citizenship but I am stuck here because
my country doesn’t issue a certificate or any other written document as a proof that I have renounced my original citizenship, according to the immigration laws of my country, if I become a citizen of a foreign country I automatically loose my original citizenship. In this case how can I prove this to the Taiwanese government without a written document? Thanks in advance.
Pioneer Kuro
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby Screaming Jesus » 04 Jul 2009, 15:40

I wonder (just thinking out loud) whether they would know any better if the applicant just...forged their own letter, pretending to be the foreign government, and saying that such-and-such a person really had renounced their citizenship...?

I mean, their security would be aimed at preventing people from falsely claiming that nationality, not falsely denying it--right?
Screaming Jesus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 04 Jul 2009, 15:51

Unless you are the first one from your nation to apply for ROC nationality, wouldnt they already know what your nation provides in the way of paperwork or that it doesnt?
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

520 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 04 Jul 2009, 21:14

Screaming Jesus wrote:I wonder (just thinking out loud) whether they would know any better if the applicant just...forged their own letter, pretending to be the foreign government, and saying that such-and-such a person really had renounced their citizenship...?

I mean, their security would be aimed at preventing people from falsely claiming that nationality, not falsely denying it--right?

No only fools would try that. After you have the document you have to get it notarized by your own government first. The TECO office then contacts the person who signed the form to verify that they are first an authorized person who can sign and secondly tp prevent fraud. Then the TECO office notarizes the document as being valid. Immigration in Australia did this and also they translated it for free into traditional Mandarin ( considered an essential document ) as well.

Submitting fraudulent documents is clearly a stupid idea. It would not only prevent you from obtaining citizenship but you would end up in jail for forgery before being deported.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Pioneer Kuro » 06 Jul 2009, 19:14

Thanks for the input guys, I haven't done anything illegal in the past and never will. Anyway I got some kind of good news from the MOFA in my country today. It looks like the law regarding dual citizenship had been revised back in 2003. that means I may be able to renounce my original nationality. I will report back when the things progress, Thanks again for your replies. :)
Pioneer Kuro

Previous

x

Return to Dual Nationality