Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Financial requirements for citizenship

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby jlick » 01 Oct 2007, 12:09

Bu Lai En wrote:Actually that's completely wrong. You only need it for one day. I've done it.

That's certainly good news, however the law still says the savings needs to be there for one year, so it may be you were just lucky or that the examination of this will change in the future.
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

In Taiwan since: 17 Nov 1999

Postby Bu Lai En » 01 Oct 2007, 20:12

That's certainly good news, however the law still says the savings needs to be there for one year

It depends how you interpret the law (and as we know, in Taiwan government departments have a ludicrously wide scope for how they interpret the laws). At first I read it as meaning that you needed to make that sum in your total number of deposits over a year. Anyway the Household Registration people have their own internal regulations, and they just require a proof of bank balance form from a bank (for which a deposit for a day will suffice).
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby thenhbushman » 28 Jan 2008, 20:07

what I want to know is, can i just renounce my US citizenship now and live in Taiwan while i wait to qualify for citizenship (length of time). I have a JFRV/ARC.
MJ Klein 朱育辰
Hukou Shiang, Hsinchu County 新竹縣湖口鄉
thenhbushman
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby jlick » 28 Jan 2008, 22:11

thenhbushman wrote:what I want to know is, can i just renounce my US citizenship now and live in Taiwan while i wait to qualify for citizenship (length of time). I have a JFRV/ARC.

Well for one thing, your ARC is limited by your passport validity. You won't be able to renew your ARC if you no longer have a passport.
jlick

In Taiwan since: 17 Nov 1999

Postby Bu Lai En » 29 Jan 2008, 11:50

what I want to know is, can i just renounce my US citizenship now and live in Taiwan while i wait to qualify for citizenship (length of time). I have a JFRV/ARC.

No way.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Bu Lai En

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: hmmm

Postby MustangSammy » 29 Jan 2008, 15:33

Battery9 wrote:I am considering letting go of my valuable South-African passport and becoming a Taiwanese citizen.
But I have no money saved.........

Do I also need a huge lump of money to stand a chance? Couldn't find it anywhere.

Why would you want to give up your South African passport?
MustangSammy
Smurf account
Smurf account

Postby sandman » 29 Jan 2008, 15:47

MustangSammy wrote:
Battery9 wrote:I am considering letting go of my valuable South-African passport and becoming a Taiwanese citizen.

Do I also need a huge lump of money to stand a chance? Couldn't find it anywhere.

You have to renounce your citizenship in order to become an ROC citizen.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby MustangSammy » 30 Jan 2008, 21:07

sandman wrote:
MustangSammy wrote:

You have to renounce your citizenship in order to become an ROC citizen.

I know that, but why would Battery 9 want to give up his/her SA citizenship? If there's only one thing useful about having an SA passport, is that it is more useful than a Taiwanese passport.
MustangSammy
Smurf account
Smurf account

Postby planet2wheels » 01 Mar 2008, 23:12

Getting back to the topic of Financial requirements for citizenship, I also can confirm you only need the cash for one day, cos its the call of household registration people. As an unmarried Brit, I had to show NT$5m. That part of the process was probably the easiest part.
planet2wheels
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby coolingtower » 22 May 2008, 17:14

The Household Registry office only looked at my tax statement from the previous year. I remember it was either $731,000 or $713,000. I really don't remember needing a bank statement. Perhaps it is how much you report on your tax form in a year and not "minimum deposit".

The only non-government documents I needed were proof of employment with the company's stamp, and a copy of my passport.

There is bound to be someone who is in the process of becoming a citizen and makes frequent visits to a HR office who will eventually ask, find the truth and post it here.

(In the above requirements, it does seem odd that he/she meet ANY of the following" and then the last one is "Anything else as recognized by the MOI." It sounds like the MOI could randomly describe your requirements, nullifying the "any" in their top statements.)
"It's not safe to hope for the best....without preparing for the worst."
coolingtower
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Dual Nationality