Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Making Canadians

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Re:

Postby navillus » 19 Aug 2011, 12:48

Mordeth wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Please Note: The PPT 132 form may not be accepted in some situations. For example, if you have been living in Taiwan for over 3 years, you will be expected by Passport Canada to have a guarantor and the form will likely be refused.

But considering it's a "rule" for doctors and dentists to NOT sign forms.......I think they'll understand.

I didn't get any hassle at all other that being questioned "Why is it that you have been here for 12 years and don't know anyone to sign the form?" Answer "I know a a few people on your list but they freak out a little bit when you ask them to sign something for you"

I used to have a doctor friend in town who did this but he moved to Zhanghua so it's just easier to pay them than do all the footwork now.
"collective madness is called sanity"
Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
navillus
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Re: Making Canadians

Postby Mordeth » 19 Aug 2011, 12:50

I'm friends with the local......head of area.....guy. Sigh.

The head of a city is a Mayor
the head of an area of the city is a ________.

Can he sign the guarantor papers?
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

Re: Re:

Postby Mordeth » 25 Aug 2011, 16:53

navillus wrote:
Mordeth wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Please Note: The PPT 132 form may not be accepted in some situations. For example, if you have been living in Taiwan for over 3 years, you will be expected by Passport Canada to have a guarantor and the form will likely be refused.

But considering it's a "rule" for doctors and dentists to NOT sign forms.......I think they'll understand.

I didn't get any hassle at all other that being questioned "Why is it that you have been here for 12 years and don't know anyone to sign the form?" Answer "I know a a few people on your list but they freak out a little bit when you ask them to sign something for you"

I used to have a doctor friend in town who did this but he moved to Zhanghua so it's just easier to pay them than do all the footwork now.

I did the "in Lieu of guarantor" form no problem. Just told her that doctors refuse to sign and that was nothing new for her. And she said it wouldn't affect the time it took to get the passport. It was a fairly easy process. I didn't have some of the info they needed. Namely my work info for the last 5 years. I told her I worked "here and there" and I didn't have addresses....and she was like "OK, I'll just write 'ground school' and that's fine". Went rather smoothly.

Also the new office is 3 minutes walking distance from Taipei 101.
Mordeth

Postby Mordeth » 30 Aug 2011, 20:38

Passport is already ready. They said 3 weeks it only took 1.

Quick question though. I use my son's Canadian passport to get him into Canada. But what about when the little half breed is re-entering Taiwan? Do I need to apply for his Taiwanese passport to get him back into this country? Or can he enter with his Canadian one?
Mordeth

Postby sandman » 30 Aug 2011, 21:43

He needs to leave and enter Taiwan on the same passport. If he leaves on the Canadian one, he'll need to re-enter on the same one and he'll then need a visa, ARC, visa runs, etc., just like any other foreigner.
In fact, if he was born here there's a good chance he won't even be allowed to leave on anything other than a local passport (I'm not 100 percent on this part though).
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby Mordeth » 31 Aug 2011, 01:11

sandman wrote:He needs to leave and enter Taiwan on the same passport. If he leaves on the Canadian one, he'll need to re-enter on the same one and he'll then need a visa, ARC, visa runs, etc., just like any other foreigner.
In fact, if he was born here there's a good chance he won't even be allowed to leave on anything other than a local passport (I'm not 100 percent on this part though).

Thanks for that. I'm new to this dual passport thing. But I should have thought of it before now. I'm supposed to leave next week....now I got to rush to get the Taiwan passport.
Mordeth

Postby Chris » 31 Aug 2011, 01:29

Yes... passports are not something to put off till the last minute: they take time, sometimes weeks.

Perhaps they have an expedite option.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby 914 » 02 Mar 2012, 22:48

FYI:

As of February 1, 2012, all Canadian citizenship certificates are 8.5x11 paper size documents. The "cards" are no longer issued after February 1, 2012. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

I sent in our application for my child's citizenship certificate in February 2011 from California to Nova Scotia. CIC received it 2/21/2011. They started processing it 3/18/2011. They issued the citizenship card 1/24/2012. I received it in Taiwan (mail rerouted from US) 2/29/2012. So on average, 11 months.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother

Postby zmlr300 » 09 Mar 2012, 09:03

914 wrote:FYI:

As of February 1, 2012, all Canadian citizenship certificates are 8.5x11 paper size documents. The "cards" are no longer issued after February 1, 2012. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

I sent in our application for my child's citizenship certificate in February 2011 from California to Nova Scotia. CIC received it 2/21/2011. They started processing it 3/18/2011. They issued the citizenship card 1/24/2012. I received it in Taiwan (mail rerouted from US) 2/29/2012. So on average, 11 months.

Talking about efficiency eh?

My son is just shy of 22 months old, he had 3 passports for over an year already. (Taiwan, Japan, Canada)
zmlr300
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Kobayashi » 25 Jul 2012, 23:22

Question: my child was born in Taiwan a few weeks ago. I need to get back to Canada as soon as possible as that is where my job is. Could she simply enter Canada with her Taiwanese passport and we'll take care of all the Canadian citizenship stuff when we're back in Canada?
Kobayashi
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Dual Nationality