1. Dim the lights and turn on the music. Barry White is good, but YMMV.
3. Wait nine months.
4. Once bun is out of oven, get an English Birth Certificate from the hospital.
5. Go to the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei
. Their address is 365 Fuxing North Road, 13F, Taipei, and their telephone number is . They're open from 9:00 to 11:30 M-F. They're right across from the Zhongshan Middle School MRT Station. At the Canadian Trade Office pick up a Child Passport Application (for Canadians under 16 years of age) and
an application for Canadian Citizenship Certificate. The passport will be issued before the citizenship is ready, so it's just a 1 year, non-renewable passport. The passport takes 15 working days to process, and the citizenship takes up to 13 months, although they say recently many applications have been processed in as little as 6 to 7 months.
6.For the child's passport application you will need to fill out the pertinent details on the application form, and you will also have to have a guarantor - someone "who can confirm the child's identity and has knowledge of the child." The guarantor must perform Free of Charge the following two tasks:
a)Certify the information on the application form
b)Write on the back of ONE of the child's photos, "I certify this to be a true likeness of (child's name), and sign.
The guarantor must:
be available to Passport Canada for verification;
have known you (the applicant) personally for at least TWO years,
have known you and the child well enough to be confident that the statements you have made in the application form are true;
live within the district of the passport issuing office;
sign the "Declaration of Guarantor section on the application form;
sign the statement on the back of ONE of the photos; and
be included in ONE of the following groups:
- dentist, medical doctor
-judge, magistrate, police officer
-practising lawyer, notary
-signing officer of a bank
If you have not known an eligible guarantor for at least two years, you must complete a "Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" form PPT 132, available from any passport issuing office.This form must be completed at your expense before a person authorized by law to administer an oath or solemn affirmation. This may delay the issuing time of the passport, and I got the impression that they really don't like having to go this route, so try to find a guarantor.
7. The child's passport application also requires two photos, 50 mm wide and 70 mm long. The length from chin to crown of head must be 31 to 36 mm. The child's Canadian Citizenship Certificate application also requires 2 photos, but they have to be 35 mm wide and 53 mm long. The length from chin to crown of head must be 25 to 35 mm, with a plain white signature strip (no more than 10mm and no less than 6mm deep) at the bottom of the photo. I recommend going to the Shiwei photo studio around the corner from the Canadian Trade Office, as they're very familiar with the exact specifications required for each application. Their address is 113 Minquan East Road, Section 3, Taipei. Their telephone number is .
8. For the child's Canadian Citizenship Certificate application you should also provide:
-both parents' passports
-proof of the Canadian parent(s)' citizenship ie: a Canadian birth certificate or a Canadian Citizenship Certificate. They have to see ORIGINAL documents, photocopies will not be accepted.
-the original marriage certificate of the child's parents, if available.
-the child's original, official, birth certificate, which shows the child's personal birth details and indicates the full names of the natural parents. If this document is not in English or French, you have to arrange to have the certifcate translated by a licensed or notarized translator before it will be accepted by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship for processing.
9. The current cost of a one year passport for a child is $600NT, and the Canadian Citizenship Certificate is $2200 NT.
10.It's also required to bring the baby there in person
so that they can verify that she is the child in the photographs.