Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Making Canadians

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Making Canadians

Postby Mordeth » 15 Jul 2009, 22:26

Do you have to get the passport first? Couldn't you just get the Canadian certificate?
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: 26 Nov 2004, 22:05
Location: Taoyuan County
13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)



Re: Making Canadians

Postby maoman » 15 Jul 2009, 22:45

Mordeth wrote:Do you have to get the passport first? Couldn't you just get the Canadian certificate?

No, you don't have to. But you can get the passport in a couple of weeks. The certificate of Canadian citizenship takes anywhere from half a year to a year.
Image
Forumosan avatar
maoman
 
Posts: 12290
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 15 Sep 1999, 16:01
Location: Lotus Hill
76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)



Re: Making Canadians

Postby Mordeth » 16 Jul 2009, 09:56

Maoman wrote:
Mordeth wrote:Do you have to get the passport first? Couldn't you just get the Canadian certificate?

No, you don't have to. But you can get the passport in a couple of weeks. The certificate of Canadian citizenship takes anywhere from half a year to a year.


I'm just thinking that by the time he goes to Canada he'll probably need a new passport even if I get one now....so no point in doing added paperwork if I don't need to.

But I hear you should get the Canadian certificate ASAP, because if you wait too long they grow suspicious. A friend of mine waited until his daughter was 2....and they told him that he waited too long and are demanding all sorts of extra proof/paper work.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: 26 Nov 2004, 22:05
Location: Taoyuan County
13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)



Re: Making Canadians

Postby maoman » 16 Jul 2009, 11:24

Mordeth wrote:
Maoman wrote:
Mordeth wrote:Do you have to get the passport first? Couldn't you just get the Canadian certificate?

No, you don't have to. But you can get the passport in a couple of weeks. The certificate of Canadian citizenship takes anywhere from half a year to a year.


I'm just thinking that by the time he goes to Canada he'll probably need a new passport even if I get one now....so no point in doing added paperwork if I don't need to.

But I hear you should get the Canadian certificate ASAP, because if you wait too long they grow suspicious. A friend of mine waited until his daughter was 2....and they told him that he waited too long and are demanding all sorts of extra proof/paper work.

The passport they issue is a temporary one - it's valid for a year. When you get the certificate of Canadian citizenship, you bring in the passport and they extend it to a normal five year passport. I applied for both her passport and her Canadian Citizenship at the same time. Why make two trips?
Image
Forumosan avatar
maoman
 
Posts: 12290
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 15 Sep 1999, 16:01
Location: Lotus Hill
76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)



Re: Making Canadians

Postby the chief » 16 Jul 2009, 11:29

Maoman wrote:The passport they issue is a temporary one - it's valid for a year. When you get the certificate of Canadian citizenship, you bring in the passport and they extend it to a normal five year passport. I applied for both her passport and her Canadian Citizenship at the same time. Why make two trips?


Yeah, that's what I did, it was like one of the first years they were doing the citizenship card, but I don't recall it taking that long to get?
It's been a while, I may be mis-remembering.
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
 
Posts: 6193
Joined: 02 Jul 2004, 17:03
Location: So that's us...out here on the raggedy edge
24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)



Re: Making Canadians

Postby Gilgamesh » 12 Aug 2009, 22:30

If your child is under three years of age then the passport is only good for three years. After this, then you get the five year passport.
Gilgamesh
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 499
Joined: 26 Dec 2004, 20:37
3 Recognized(s)



Re:

Postby sulavaca » 13 Aug 2009, 00:17

Lord Lucan wrote:How bizarre that the baby has to "apply" for citizenship. Surely it is a Canadian citizen the minute it pops out of mummy? Oh I see. The citizenship certificate costs NT$2,200. Ka-ching!


That's because only humans can enter contract. A human cannot enter contract on another human's behalf.

In the U.K. we practice against the law which is to ambiguously sign over humans (rather, "people")as property to the government by way of birth certificate which is why some claim to get away with acts against statutes (not law) as they claim to have never entered contract with the government by their own hand.

Congratulations. Your child is now the property of the Canadian government.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 09 Jul 2006, 10:48
Location: Taipei
4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)



Re: Re:

Postby maoman » 13 Aug 2009, 01:04

sulavaca wrote:Congratulations. Your child is now the property of the Canadian government.

Um, no.
Image
Forumosan avatar
maoman
 
Posts: 12290
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 15 Sep 1999, 16:01
Location: Lotus Hill
76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)



Re: Making Canadians

Postby sulavaca » 13 Aug 2009, 01:19

"No" to what?

I No to your "No"

No infinity! aha! :lol:
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
 
Posts: 5044
Joined: 09 Jul 2006, 10:48
Location: Taipei
4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)



Re:

Postby Mordeth » 26 Aug 2009, 17:33

urodacus wrote:
Lord Lucan wrote:
if I was going to have kids, I would go home first so they would not be taiwanese. save many problems later...


Much better to have two passports instead of only one. If I have another child....I'll make sure I'm overseas somewhere so that he'll be Canadian plus whatever country I'm in.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: 26 Nov 2004, 22:05
Location: Taoyuan County
13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Dual Nationality



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 visitors

An all-too-common scenario: I hand you a cup of coffee and say, 'Cream and sugar?' You say, 'What?' I say, 'Cream and sugar?' You say, 'What?' Come on, people. What do you think we're going to ask after we've handed you coffee? Your favorite color?
From "13 Things Your Flight Attendant Won't Tell You"