Choose 2 Citizenships or Take All 3?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Rascal » 05 Oct 2007, 18:33

914 wrote:I did some investigating and becoming a naturalized US citizen has a few perks: voting rights, applying to certain government jobs, and being able to stay outside of the USA for longer than six months at a time.

You don't need a US passport to do that.

;)
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Re: Choose 2 Citizenships or Take All 3?

Postby 914 » 09 Mar 2012, 10:55

Resurrecting an old thread because I don't want to start another one about the same thing.

This was in the "Making Canadians" thread:

zmlr300 wrote:
914 wrote:FYI:

As of February 1, 2012, all Canadian citizenship certificates are 8.5x11 paper size documents. The "cards" are no longer issued after February 1, 2012. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

I sent in our application for my child's citizenship certificate in February 2011 from California to Nova Scotia. CIC received it 2/21/2011. They started processing it 3/18/2011. They issued the citizenship card 1/24/2012. I received it in Taiwan (mail rerouted from US) 2/29/2012. So on average, 11 months.

Talking about efficiency eh?

My son is just shy of 22 months old, he had 3 passports for over an year already. (Taiwan, Japan, Canada)

I have a question about getting passports for children. How beneficial is it to apply for multiple passports for a child? Currently our children just have US passports, proof of Canadian citizenship, and I think the ROC ID (is that the same as proof of citizenship? Not sure) is a lost cause at this point since we're all living in TW on ARCs anyway.

We all have US passports, but with a Jewish last name (mine is tacked on to my own surname, not in place of) we wonder if it's better for the kids to get Canadian passports like I also have to make travel as a family easier. I mean, if anything happens, the woman and children will be safe! :wink: It's not something we've given that much thought to yet, since we've no immediate plans to travel to any Muslim or middle east countries, but you always wonder with the anti-Semitic/anti-USA sentiments in certain countries...

Zmlr300: can you tell me why you decided to get 3 passports for your child? Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Thanks!
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 10 Mar 2012, 12:35

I've got three passports.

Right now I don't see my US passport as EVER being useful (aside from for visiting family), but when kiddies are babbies what's the point in ruling out options? You never know where life might take you or them. If they're eligible for multiple citizenships get them ALL. (Like Pokemon.)

For certain countries (like Japan) you need to pretend you don't have any other citizenships, or they delete your Japanese citizenship. For the others I have no idea, but none of my countries know I hold more than two citizenships (actually, I once entered Taiwan on my Australian, married on my US and have my ARC on my UK, so technically Taiwan has a record of all of my nationalities - whether or not they can reconcile that to the same person is another question).

If I have to give up one permanently I'd give up my US because it is the least useful to me, but I would like to keep it as you never know where you'll end up!
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Re:

Postby Chris » 11 Mar 2012, 10:35

maoman wrote:
914 wrote:And in case anyone is wondering, you don't need to give up any of the above citizenship(s) when you take on another of the above.

That's not quite true. You have to give up citizenship in other countries if you wish to acquire ROC citizenship.

Unless you have Taiwanese ancestry.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby cyborg_ninja » 15 Mar 2012, 00:22

914 wrote:Resurrecting an old thread because I don't want to start another one about the same thing.

This was in the "Making Canadians" thread:

zmlr300 wrote:
914 wrote:FYI:

As of February 1, 2012, all Canadian citizenship certificates are 8.5x11 paper size documents. The "cards" are no longer issued after February 1, 2012. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

I sent in our application for my child's citizenship certificate in February 2011 from California to Nova Scotia. CIC received it 2/21/2011. They started processing it 3/18/2011. They issued the citizenship card 1/24/2012. I received it in Taiwan (mail rerouted from US) 2/29/2012. So on average, 11 months.

Talking about efficiency eh?

My son is just shy of 22 months old, he had 3 passports for over an year already. (Taiwan, Japan, Canada)

I have a question about getting passports for children. How beneficial is it to apply for multiple passports for a child? Currently our children just have US passports, proof of Canadian citizenship, and I think the ROC ID (is that the same as proof of citizenship? Not sure) is a lost cause at this point since we're all living in TW on ARCs anyway.

We all have US passports, but with a Jewish last name (mine is tacked on to my own surname, not in place of) we wonder if it's better for the kids to get Canadian passports like I also have to make travel as a family easier. I mean, if anything happens, the woman and children will be safe! :wink: It's not something we've given that much thought to yet, since we've no immediate plans to travel to any Muslim or middle east countries, but you always wonder with the anti-Semitic/anti-USA sentiments in certain countries...

Zmlr300: can you tell me why you decided to get 3 passports for your child? Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Thanks!

Well for one, Canadian passport holders don't pay the same visa fees :P

Having ROC ID means your kids have citizenship.
cyborg_ninja
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Dual Nationality