*BC and ROC National ID

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

*BC and ROC National ID

Postby answerer » 30 Dec 2007, 01:20

Very sorry if this has been addressed already. I've searched the forum, MOI, BOCA, Taipei City, Household Registration, etc and haven't found the information I need.

Recently, I've had two friends who are both ABCs receive their ROC National IDs. They both claim to never have been on the Household Registration (hukou) and said that all they need to do was 1)Get a ROC passport 2)Get a Overseas Chinese stamp on it 3)Enter Taiwan with it.

However, since their parents took care of most of the details, they aren't sure about the exact requirements.

Has anyone here gone through that process and/or could explain the requirements and necessary documents?
answerer
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Hartzell » 31 Dec 2007, 12:37

Well, under Article 7 of the ROC Constitution, all "people of the ROC" are equal in all ways.

Hence, (assuming that the government follows the ROC Constitution), it should be a very straightforward process.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

Re: *BC and ROC National ID

Postby Yellow Cartman » 31 Dec 2007, 12:47

answerer wrote:Very sorry if this has been addressed already. I've searched the forum, MOI, BOCA, Taipei City, Household Registration, etc and haven't found the information I need.

Recently, I've had two friends who are both ABCs receive their ROC National IDs. They both claim to never have been on the Household Registration (hukou) and said that all they need to do was 1)Get a ROC passport 2)Get a Overseas Chinese stamp on it 3)Enter Taiwan with it.

However, since their parents took care of most of the details, they aren't sure about the exact requirements.

Has anyone here gone through that process and/or could explain the requirements and necessary documents?

I think ironfist went through this process just recently in the past year.

In my experience, not being on a hukou, would absolutely require some proof that the ABC and parent were related by blood such as birth cert (even if on the hukuo, some proof would be asked for documenting relationship or that you are that person on the hukuo because the hukuo name would be in Chinese and your documentation would be in English). And, that parent would absolutely have to have a hukuo in Taiwan in order for this to proceed. Otherwise, the only other way is that the relevant agencies turned one eye away and just "gave it" to them which may be depending on where it was processed. But basically, no hukuo tying yourself to Taiwan (i.e. through family or marriage) means SOL for anyone looking to get their ROC ID.

Processes and documentation is what the relevant agencies you're dealing with require you to have. May be a lot, may be a little. That's Taiwan. I'd suggest you really try to get the details from your friends to see if you can get on that same track as them, using the same agencies/people if possible to save yourself the hassles.

Good luck.
Trillian: You idiot! You signed the order to destroy Earth!
Zaphod: I did?
Arthur: He did?
Trillian: Love and kisses Zaphod? You didn't even read it, did you?
Zaphod: Well, I'm president, I don't have a lot of time for reading.
Trillian: My whole planet destroyed because you thought someone wanted your autograph!
Forumosan avatar
Yellow Cartman
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Return to Dual Nationality