Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Born in Taiwan, Can I become a citizen?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby papercut » 16 Mar 2008, 07:24

Hello all,

I was born in Taiwan and have spent about 12-13 years or so here on and off throughout my life (in my earlt 30's). My parents are both westerners. Is there a way for me to become a permanent resident or citizen without have to renounce my original citizenship?

Cheers
papercut
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Born in Taiwan, Can I become a citizen?

Postby veryh2o » 19 May 2008, 11:56

papercut wrote:Hello all,

I was born in Taiwan and have spent about 12-13 years or so here on and off throughout my life (in my earlt 30's). My parents are both westerners. Is there a way for me to become a permanent resident or citizen without have to renounce my original citizenship?

Cheers

Hi,

I think if you have a birth certificate which indicate you were born in Taiwan then I think you can get the citizenship of Taiwan easily.

Taiwan accepts dual citizenship.

Shan
veryh2o
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 19 May 2008, 12:37

veryh2o wrote:I think if you have a birth certificate which indicate you were born in Taiwan then I think you can get the citizenship of Taiwan easily.
Don't you need to have a Taiwanese parent? Maybe even just the father counts? I have no idea, but that is usual for most countries.

Only for Taiwanese, not for foreigners. Foreigners must give up their citizenship, but Taiwanese don't.

Lots of threads on this I'm sure somewhere.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby veryh2o » 19 May 2008, 13:58

Big Fluffy Matthew wrote:
veryh2o wrote:I think if you have a birth certificate which indicate you were born in Taiwan then I think you can get the citizenship of Taiwan easily.
Don't you need to have a Taiwanese parent? Maybe even just the father counts? I have no idea, but that is usual for most countries.

Only for Taiwanese, not for foreigners. Foreigners must give up their citizenship, but Taiwanese don't.

Lots of threads on this I'm sure somewhere.

I am fairly sure that you just need to prove that you are born in Taiwan then you are a Taiwanese citizen. I think this same law applies in USA. Wierd, I know, but I think this is how it works. Someone can confirm this?

I didn't know Taiwan doesn't allow foreigner to have dual citizenship.

Shan
veryh2o

Postby Tyc00n » 19 May 2008, 16:42

Looking forward to Military Service are you?
Forumosan avatar
Tyc00n
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 19 May 2008, 16:51

US law is born in US, automatically becomes citizen.

Here in Taiwan is a bit more complicated. OP should have done that when he was 18, now it is a bit difficult.

Article 9    A foreign national who applies for nationalization according
          to Article 3 to Article 7 shall provide the certification of
          his/her loss of previous nationality

EDIT: used to be only father counted, now both can "pass on" nationality to child, but, and this is the big but, there is a cut at a certain age. For example, some people -around 30- would be out of the chance to become Taiwanese. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

657 Recommends(s)
520 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 23 May 2008, 12:06

veryh2o wrote: I am fairly sure that you just need to prove that you are born in Taiwan then you are a Taiwanese citizen. I think this same law applies in USA. Wierd, I know, but I think this is how it works. Someone can confirm this?

I didn't know Taiwan doesn't allow foreigner to have dual citizenship.

Shan

I am fairly sure you haven't got a clue. To be an ROC citizen by birth in Taiwan prior to 2000 the father must be an ROC citizen.

So my son who was born in 1991, in Taichung, whose mother is an ROC Citizen, only holds Australian Citizenship and does not have ROC nationality.

So for the OP afraid to say that no, he cannot claim ROC nationalty by birth. Although I am now an ROC citizen for the last 10 years m son is not. heheheh no ROC Army service for him. :D
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby tommy525 » 08 Jun 2008, 09:37

Question: Does a child who is born in Taiwan now get TAiwanese citizenship if both of his parents are foreign citizens and dont have TAiwan citizenship?
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

586 Recommends(s)
369 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 08 Jun 2008, 19:50

tommy525 wrote:Question: Does a child who is born in Taiwan now get Taiwanese citizenship if both of his parents are foreign citizens and dont have TAiwan citizenship?

NO.... one parent must be an ROC citizen.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Postby LPeterC » 19 Jun 2008, 13:19

Here is a link to the National Immigration Agency:
Nationality Act

Since you were born in Taiwan, Article 4 should apply.
LPeterC
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Dual Nationality