Giving up CA citizenship for ROC, getting original CA back

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Giving up CA citizenship for ROC, getting original CA back

Postby dan2006 » 27 Aug 2008, 17:36

Im just curious, if one gives up their Canadian citizenship to get ROC citizenship, does Canada allow the Canadian born person to reapply and get their citizenship back, or do they have to go through the entire process as a new immigrant..

Thanks
Forumosan avatar
dan2006
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
55 Recommends(s)
70 Recognized(s)

Re: Giving up CA citizenship for ROC, getting original CA back

Postby Senlando » 28 Aug 2008, 14:09

I have almost the exact same question, except I was born and razed in Taiwan by Canadian parents. Therefor I am a citizen of Canada, but not of my home country Taiwan. So I'm also wondering if i can easily get Canadian citizenship back if I was to revoke it?

Dankon!
Senlando
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Satellite TV » 29 Aug 2008, 18:18

I believe that if you RENOUNCE Canadian Citizenship you cannot re-apply for it to be resumed.

You should write to Immigration in Canada and ask what the law is.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby planet2wheels » 08 Sep 2008, 20:05

I got my UK citizenship back - based on a loophole in the law (and not by virtue of whether my country of birth allowed me to recover it, having once renounced it).

what loophole is that?

One which states "if, after having renounced citizenship, said person does not become a citizen of the a third country within 6 months, he or she shall be deemed to have remained a (british) citizen".

here's the rub;

Taiwan law makes it physically impossible to become a citizen after having renounced your original citizenship, within 6 months. The fastest you can do it is 1 year. Ergo, after 6 months, you can regain (british) citizenship. I'd be willing to bet other countries also have this law.

C'mon all you would-be duals, exploit the xenophobia inherent in the system to work in your favour!

Conclusion: get a decent immigration lawyer, and find out if your own country has such a "6 months claw-back" law.
Forumosan avatar
planet2wheels
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 08 Sep 2008, 21:41

govt-attache wrote:I got my UK citizenship back - based on a loophole in the law (and not by virtue of whether my country of birth allowed me to recover it, having once renounced it).

what loophole is that? One which states "if, after having renounced citizenship, said person does not become a citizen of the a third country within 6 months, he or she shall be deemed to have remained a (british) citizen".

here's the rub;

Taiwan law makes it physically impossible to become a citizen after having renounced your original citizenship, within 6 months. The fastest you can do it is 1 year. Ergo, after 6 months, you can regain (british) citizenship. I'd be willing to bet other countries also have this law.

C'mon all you would-be duals, exploit the xenophobia inherent in the system to work in your favour!Conclusion: get a decent immigration lawyer, and find out if your own country has such a "6 months claw-back" law.

Doesnt work that way for Australia, as I can tell ya. We don't have the same law. No time limit to allow due process.

Who told you about that law? erm an ex Aussie who knew something about the British law you didnt. Don't need a lawyer always nowadays as citizenship laws are available on the net. The OP can simply do a goodle search for Canada Immigration Citizenship Laws and do some research.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Postby KenTaiwan98 » 28 Jan 2009, 23:29

It's a pity that you can't reference that law. I searched for it and it brought up nil. Oh, wait I found it on the home office sit. URL

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Interesting... Interesting

Kenneth
In exile now... not returning to Forumosa.
KenTaiwan98
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby dan2006 » 25 Jul 2012, 03:34

Im bringing up another old thread of mine as the question was unanswered before but for anyone who wants to know in the future.

I was sleepless tonight so I thought I would ask the Canadian government if it is possible to renounce and resume citizenship.

As per them and according to the new rules, you cannot renounce and resume again. You would have to reapply like a new immigrant all over again.

In addition, there is no 6 months to get citizenship rule anymore that would allow you to resume. They do a test to ensure that you are in your right mind when you say you want to renounce, and then they allow you to renounce immediately, whether or not you have citizenship elsewhere. I was advised they don't care if you are stateless or not as you made the choice.

So there goes that idea :D
Forumosan avatar
dan2006

ORIGINAL POSTER
55 Recommends(s)
70 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 25 Jul 2012, 09:25

What benefits do you want that something like an APRC doesn't offer? I know there are benefits but what specifically are you after?
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

107 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 25 Jul 2012, 11:38

Abacus wrote:What benefits do you want that something like an APRC doesn't offer? I know there are benefits but what specifically are you after?

For things like getting credit in your own name and not always being in the foreigner category when you attempt to do business here. A lot of companies will still use the foreigner rule even with a APRC.
Forumosan avatar
dan2006

ORIGINAL POSTER
55 Recommends(s)
70 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 25 Jul 2012, 13:00

From my understanding, you can get it back. However, it would require applying for an immigrant visa (they are not accepting applications at the moment, so it could take a few years). Once you have an immigrant visa, you need three years of residency in Canada, and then you need to take a test.

So to answer your question, you can get it back, but it's not as easy as in some countries where you just need to fill in a form.
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg

107 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Dual Nationality