Giving up CA citizenship for ROC, getting original CA back

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Giving up CA citizenship for ROC, getting original CA back

Postby Abacus » 25 Jul 2012, 15:01

dan2006 wrote:
Abacus wrote:What benefits do you want that something like an APRC doesn't offer? I know there are benefits but what specifically are you after?

For things like getting credit in your own name and not always being in the foreigner category when you attempt to do business here. A lot of companies will still use the foreigner rule even with a APRC.

these are your reasons? Use you Canadian credit card (it works everywhere that takes a credit card) and everyone will still see you as a foreigner regardless if you have citizenship.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 25 Jul 2012, 17:47

Abacus wrote:
dan2006 wrote:
Abacus wrote:What benefits do you want that something like an APRC doesn't offer? I know there are benefits but what specifically are you after?

For things like getting credit in your own name and not always being in the foreigner category when you attempt to do business here. A lot of companies will still use the foreigner rule even with a APRC.

these are your reasons? Use you Canadian credit card (it works everywhere that takes a credit card) and everyone will still see you as a foreigner regardless if you have citizenship.

Everyone will always see you as a foreigner, but legally as a citizen they can't use that to select against you.

It also provides a sense of permanency if you intend to live here permanently. But I killed the idea anyway when I found out how complicated it is to resume once you renounce.
Forumosan avatar
dan2006
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 25 Jul 2012, 18:31

I don't think you know why you want to become an ROC citizen or even why you want to live here. I remember your posts from awhile ago because we have similar backgrounds in some ways. I would need a really, really good reason to give up my US citizenship. trying to find a sense of permanency is just grasping at straws imo. Just enjoy your vacation every 90 days if you don't have a job.
Abacus

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 25 Jul 2012, 18:50

You wouldn't have to worry about the 6-month-per-year residency requirement.

You could have an additional passport, and therefore have more travel options to different countries. (E.g. going to China on a Taibaozheng, or paying lower visa fees for certain countries than you would on your original citizenship, or being able to visit countries your government forbids you to visit or that forbid people from your country from visiting.)
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 25 Jul 2012, 18:59

Chris wrote:

You could have an additional passport, and therefore have more travel options to different countries. (E.g. going to China on a Taibaozheng, or paying lower visa fees for certain countries than you would on your original citizenship, or being able to visit countries your government forbids you to visit or that forbid people from your country from visiting.)

The going to China part is interesting as well. (Taibaozheng)

Essentially I would do it if it wasn't such a pain to get the Canadian one back. :)

Anyway, i thought I would just post it in case any Canadians had the question in the future.
Forumosan avatar
dan2006

ORIGINAL POSTER
60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 25 Jul 2012, 19:05

Chris wrote:

These are benefits but not really reasons to renounce your citizenship.

Do you really get to keep your CA passport if you renounce your citizenship? I doubt it.
Abacus

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby asian boy » 26 Jul 2012, 11:06

Chris wrote:

What countries have visa fees for visitors?
Forumosan avatar
asian boy
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Dual Nationality