Military duty

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Military duty

Postby lotzuni » 16 Mar 2009, 16:37

Northcoast Surfer wrote:
lotzuni wrote:I'm already 32, and I keep going on my studies, I finished college, master degree and now I am trying to get my doctor degree and postponing army duty as much as I can. Maybe this thing will be extinct in a couple of years.

Why don't you just suck it up and do your military service? I do not understand why so many people have such an aversion to it. It's no big deal at all.

Well, after a higher education I can teach in a college, earn money, doing army I don't earn anything, besides, do you know that in general, they do some abuse on the little soldiers, the ones with only high school degree? My uncle served in the army when he was 37, doctor degree and they put him in a room with AC working on a computer and his army service was more like working in an office. Many chinese parents try to get their kids to go study overseas to avoid the army and the abuse that goes inside, which only the locals know about.
lotzuni
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Satellite TV » 16 Mar 2009, 19:19

lotzuni wrote:Well, after a higher education I can teach in a college, earn money, doing army I don't earn anything, besides, do you know that in general, they do some abuse on the little soldiers, the ones with only high school degree? My uncle served in the army when he was 37, doctor degree and they put him in a room with AC working on a computer and his army service was more like working in an office. Many Chinese parents try to get their kids to go study overseas to avoid the army and the abuse that goes inside, which only the locals know about.

Mate there have been plenty of foreigners serve out their service after gettting ID cards. Anyways study on... cause chaps like you who study for years and years are unemployable in the end. You wont be able to actually do anything meaningful.

There are plenty of 30's something PHd graduates who cant find jobs. Mainly cause nobody wants an over educated useless sack of potatoes.

PS in the Army you also get paid... Don't think only the locals know what goes on in the Army.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby lotzuni » 16 Mar 2009, 20:32

Satellite TV wrote:
lotzuni wrote:Well, after a higher education I can teach in a college, earn money, doing army I don't earn anything, besides, do you know that in general, they do some abuse on the little soldiers, the ones with only high school degree? My uncle served in the army when he was 37, doctor degree and they put him in a room with AC working on a computer and his army service was more like working in an office. Many Chinese parents try to get their kids to go study overseas to avoid the army and the abuse that goes inside, which only the locals know about.

Mate there have been plenty of foreigners serve out their service after gettting ID cards. Anyways study on... cause chaps like you who study for years and years are unemployable in the end. You wont be able to actually do anything meaningful.

There are plenty of 30's something PHd graduates who cant find jobs. Mainly cause nobody wants an over educated useless sack of potatoes.

PS in the Army you also get paid... Don't think only the locals know what goes on in the Army.

PS. The army pays so little that many soldiers try to get a wife from Vietnam, because most taiwanese gals won't marry a soldier, unless if he is highly conected to a influential politician.
lotzuni

Postby Satellite TV » 16 Mar 2009, 23:03

lotzuni wrote:[PS. The army pays so little that many soldiers try to get a wife from Vietnam, because most taiwanese gals won't marry a soldier, unless if he is highly conected to a influential politician.

That won't make any difference to you. You dont even have any influence lol
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Postby bismarck » 17 Mar 2009, 00:36

lotzuni wrote:
Satellite TV wrote:

PS. The army pays so little that many soldiers try to get a wife from Vietnam, because most taiwanese gals won't marry a soldier, unless if he is highly conected to a influential politician.

Mate, no offense, but judging from your posts and your very poor knowledge of anything outside the four walls of "higher learning" I suggest you pack it in and go do something else for a bit. Even if that something is back packing through a foreign country teaching Chinese.

I mean, c'mon. You're 32 for fecks sakes. :noway:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 17 Mar 2009, 00:40

lotzuni wrote:
Northcoast Surfer wrote:
lotzuni wrote:I'm already 32, and I keep going on my studies, I finished college, master degree and now I am trying to get my doctor degree and postponing army duty as much as I can. Maybe this thing will be extinct in a couple of years.

Why don't you just suck it up and do your military service? I do not understand why so many people have such an aversion to it. It's no big deal at all.

Well, after a higher education I can teach in a college, earn money, doing army I don't earn anything, besides, do you know that in general, they do some abuse on the little soldiers, the ones with only high school degree? My uncle served in the army when he was 37, doctor degree and they put him in a room with AC working on a computer and his army service was more like working in an office. Many Chinese parents try to get their kids to go study overseas to avoid the army and the abuse that goes inside, which only the locals know about.

I may be wrong, but I remember something about Northcoast Surfer having done military service in Taiwan already.
As to locals knowledge of what goes on, I have several friends and family that have either completed military service, or are currently in the Army. SatTV's BIL is also in the military and I think he'll back me up when I say they are fairly well paid past the year's service (permanent members), especially senior non coms and officers.

We're not exactly fresh of the boat or just passing through you know...
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby lotzuni » 17 Mar 2009, 09:05

I don't know where you guys get the idea that I don't have a job just because I am doing a doctor degree. School education cost money, are not free. And my job certainly pays me enough to continue my studies. Besides, what does a soldier in Taiwan do? Perform coreography to the President at double 10 like the Buckingham soldiers who are more ornamental than useful? Or stand like a statue in the national monuments? Please !!! Some guys need more brain stimulation than doing that 24/7 for a miserable wage that will only pay for your electricity, water, cigars, and nothing else. If being a soldier was that good, a lot of chinese parents will be pushing their sons to do it instead of trying to get them in a plane and to do something else in another country.
lotzuni

Postby Anubis » 17 Mar 2009, 09:28

So, you're doing your Phd because you want to dodge military service? And I always thought Phd students have a real interest in their subject. You know, doing something they are passionate about, emerging themselves in ground-breaking research aimed at making an impact on the world out there. :neutral:

And before you ask, yes, I did my military service. :p
Sekhem Em Pet

Taiwan UP
Forumosan avatar
Anubis
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby lotzuni » 17 Mar 2009, 09:41

Anubis wrote:So, you're doing your Phd because you want to dodge military service? And I always thought Phd students have a real interest in their subject. You know, doing something they are passionate about, emerging themselves in ground-breaking research aimed at making an impact on the world out there. :neutral:

Well, this is your assumption. I do love my studies. And if you love the military service by all means go for it. And also tell the President,ex-president, politicians that sending their children to other countries for further studies will turn them into potato sacks. They need to come back and do military services, this is patriotism. Forget about doing something else, buying homes here and there, investing in foreign fake companies (Ah-Bian, are you listening?). And Ah'Bian is 100% taiwanese, according to him and his supporters, but his son (and daughter) are trying to get to other countries to live and invest the money. And other politicians (KMT, DPP) are doing the same and smiling at the parades watching the dutiful men in the army marching and saluting.
lotzuni

Postby Anubis » 17 Mar 2009, 09:56

lotzuni wrote:
Anubis wrote:So, you're doing your Phd because you want to dodge military service? And I always thought Phd students have a real interest in their subject. You know, doing something they are passionate about, emerging themselves in ground-breaking research aimed at making an impact on the world out there. :neutral:

Well, this is your assumption. I do love my studies. And if you love the military service by all means go for it. And also tell the President,ex-president, politicians that sending their children to other countries for further studies will turn them into potato sacks. They need to come back and do military services, this is patriotism. Forget about doing something else, buying homes here and there, investing in foreign fake companies (Ah-Bian, are you listening?). And Ah'Bian is 100% taiwanese, according to him and his supporters, but his son (and daughter) are trying to get to other countries to live and invest the money. And other politicians (KMT, DPP) are doing the same and smiling at the parades watching the dutiful men in the army marching and saluting.

You wrote:
"I'm already 32, and I keep going on my studies, I finished college, master degree and now I am trying to get my doctor degree and postponing army duty as much as I can. Maybe this thing will be extinct in a couple of years."

The way you said it sounds like dodging to me. But, yes, you are right, it IS my assumption.
Sekhem Em Pet

Taiwan UP
Forumosan avatar
Anubis

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Dual Nationality