Military duty

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Military duty

Postby bismarck » 19 Mar 2009, 16:13

lotzuni wrote:Until you have been in a real war, fought face to face with the enemy, don't brag. Less than an year in the army doesn't make you more man than the others. If being a soldier is so imoprtant go to Iraq instyead of being here in Taiwan hiding as a buxiban laoban. Besides, dogs that bark rarely bite, so Bismack, fall from your high horse. You never been in a real war!

Really? I've been on that horse and rode it. Not all of us hide out in college forever.

lotzuni wrote:All this criticism means nothing if you're here in Taiwan. You are not participating in the war either, fighting with your fellow men in Iraq are you ? You are watching the war from afar. Doing nothing and brag about manhood stuff and calling me selfish.

Not, it seems, that all that money was well spent either. I trust you'll find we're all here. Care to meet up?
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 19 Mar 2009, 16:13

TainanCowboy wrote:
lotzuni wrote:All this criticism means nothing if you're here in Taiwan. You are not participating in the war either, fighting with your fellow men in Iraq are you ? You are watching the war from afar. Doing nothing and brag about manhood stuff and calling me selfish.

lotzuni -
Yea, I am in Taiwan. However, I have done my time in the military and beyond. And that time included a "real war" and several more that had all the accouterments of war.
Don't be so fast with your fingers in trying to disparage the experiences of other to justify your own short-comings. You're just digging yourself in deeper.

Well said. :bravo:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby lotzuni » 19 Mar 2009, 16:31

bismarck wrote:
TainanCowboy wrote:

lotzuni -
Yea, I am in Taiwan. However, I have done my time in the military and beyond. And that time included a "real war" and several more that had all the accouterments of war.
Don't be so fast with your fingers in trying to disparage the experiences of other to justify your own short-comings. You're just digging yourself in deeper.

Well said. :bravo:

You know, posting old war pictures in the web while a real war is still going on in your country and the world, and wasting your time in front of the computer exchanging a discussion war of thoughts in the comfort of your room with AC doesn't make me believe you really care about serving your country. Criticize if you want, but here in Taiwan right now we are doing the same, just exchanging words, you lecture about the rampant violence out there but you are still here, you are not doing much either, and the war is an outgoing on there while China and Taiwan are still in peaceful terms.
lotzuni
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby cfimages » 19 Mar 2009, 17:31

TainanCowboy wrote:
cfimages wrote:I've no idea what the point of that was bismarck.
Cfi -
Yes...yes I think you do know what that was about. I seem to remember you posting quite knowledgeably about your serving at a service club back in Australia. If I remember correctly, you spoke well about the gents in the club, former Diggers all.

So I do think you know what Bismarck is talking about.

My point was that I don't see what relevance the photos had to the discussion at hand. Yes, I worked in a service club in Aust (as a bartender during my uni years) and the gents there were generally decent men and mostly Diggers. However, they were pretty much all volunteers not conscripts. I don't have an issue with people freely choosing to serve (although I wouldn't do it), I do have a problem with the whole concept of conscription. Forcing people to join to military just because of the country they happen to be born in, or the era, is just plain wrong, morally and ethically, and as such, those who avoid the service should be encouraged.

A war such as WW2, where global freedoms were at stake, is an exception. The vast majority of wars throughout history have been unneccessary, and certainly no wars that have been fought since have been necessary, no matter how the media and politicians like to spin them.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

189 Recommends(s)
191 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 19 Mar 2009, 17:53

lotzuni wrote:You know, posting old war pictures in the web while a real war is still going on in your country and the world, and wasting your time in front of the computer exchanging a discussion war of thoughts in the comfort of your room with AC doesn't make me believe you really care about serving your country. Criticize if you want, but here in Taiwan right now we are doing the same, just exchanging words, you lecture about the rampant violence out there but you are still here, you are not doing much either, and the war is an outgoing on there while China and Taiwan are still in peaceful terms.

Lotzuni -
It would appear that you have run out of coherent responses to support your position.
The point is, you are seeking to justify personal selfishness and cowardice by claiming that it is a position of reason and intellect. Your premise is flawed. While it may be the norm among many here in Taiwan, which is the country under discussion, it is still a flawed view in regards to the betterment of the country. To perpetuate and maintain such a skewered view point degrades the reasoning ability and personal responsibility and accountability of the entire populace.
If done long enough, you have...well...you have an entire country believing that "Its not may baby" should be the national motto.

Wait one!...thats what we have now....darned if it didn't come true.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby lotzuni » 19 Mar 2009, 18:46

TainanCowboy wrote:
lotzuni wrote:You know, posting old war pictures in the web while a real war is still going on in your country and the world, and wasting your time in front of the computer exchanging a discussion war of thoughts in the comfort of your room with AC doesn't make me believe you really care about serving your country. Criticize if you want, but here in Taiwan right now we are doing the same, just exchanging words, you lecture about the rampant violence out there but you are still here, you are not doing much either, and the war is an outgoing on there while China and Taiwan are still in peaceful terms.

Lotzuni -
It would appear that you have run out of coherent responses to support your position.
The point is, you are seeking to justify personal selfishness and cowardice by claiming that it is a position of reason and intellect. Your premise is flawed. While it may be the norm among many here in Taiwan, which is the country under discussion, it is still a flawed view in regards to the betterment of the country. To perpetuate and maintain such a skewered view point degrades the reasoning ability and personal responsibility and accountability of the entire populace.
If done long enough, you have...well...you have an entire country believing that "Its not may baby" should be the national motto.

Wait one!...thats what we have now....darned if it didn't come true.

OK if you consider me a coward for not having served the army yet, be it. Your opinion is very mean and rude. In your country people can choose to go or not to the army,, here we are drafted. Will you call your fellow men who didn't volunteer in the army as coward? Then there are millions there, you don't need to call the guys here cowards. And how about you, here in Taiwan all these years during your country's war, come here and call me coward but in my mind the word about people who lecture others for not doing something that he is also not doing is Hypocrite
lotzuni

Postby Chris » 19 Mar 2009, 19:15

lotzuni wrote:And how about you, here in Taiwan all these years during your country's war, come here and call me coward but in my mind the word about people who lecture others for not doing something that he is also not doing is Hypocrite

FYI, lotzuni: you're engaged in a conversation with one of Forumosa's most right-leaning conservatives.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 19 Mar 2009, 20:13

If Gordon Fucking Broon ever told me I should "serve my country" or "do my duty" I'd do everything in my power to go to his house and stick an icepick deep into his rectum, but I'd sooner spend time in prison than murder some strangers just because he told me I should.
Does that make me a coward, TC?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 19 Mar 2009, 20:18

Would you defend Taiwan?
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby lbksig » 19 Mar 2009, 21:11

lotzuni wrote:OK if you consider me a coward for not having served the army yet, be it. Your opinion is very mean and rude. In your country people can choose to go or not to the army,, here we are drafted. Will you call your fellow men who didn't volunteer in the army as coward? Then there are millions there, you don't need to call the guys here cowards. And how about you, here in Taiwan all these years during your country's war, come here and call me coward but in my mind the word about people who lecture others for not doing something that he is also not doing is Hypocrite

He's entitled to his opinion as are you. If you didn't notice, TC also stated that he did serve in the US military during a wartime period. Just because we are at a war now and he isn't serving doesn't change the fact that he did serve at one point in time. That aside, you may not have to worry much longer. According to Defense Minister Chen Chao-min, Taiwan is supposed to be phasing out conscription in the next 5 years with the end in 2014.

Chris wrote:FYI, lotzuni: you're engaged in a conversation with one of Forumosa's most right-leaning conservatives.

What does that have to do with anything Chris? Lotzuni is also engaged in an argument with Bismark. Are you gong to call him a right-leaning conservative and take some pot shots at him too?
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Obama's offering a payroll tax cut, but only for small business. Ok, fair's fair. We pay taxes, but only for small government. - Fred Thompson
lbksig
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Dual Nationality