News on changes in citizenship for Canadians living abroad

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Making Canadians

Postby MotorcycleRider » 18 Apr 2009, 12:05

Making Canadian has become a bit more complicated for second generation overseas born children. Looks like my grandchildren will have to be born on Canadian soil. This will probably affect some people in Taiwan, who are second generation oversea Canadians.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules.asp
Forumosan avatar
MotorcycleRider
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
 
Posts: 752
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 07 Jan 2005, 11:52
Location: At work, where else!

6000

Re: Making Canadians

Postby maoman » 18 Apr 2009, 12:44

MotorcycleRider wrote:Making Canadian has become a bit more complicated for second generation overseas born children. Looks like my grandchildren will have to be born on Canadian soil. This will probably affect some people in Taiwan, who are second generation oversea Canadians.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules.asp

It only applies to second-generation foreign -born Canadians who were born after April 17, 2009. So my two year old daughter can have a Canadian child outside of Canada, but my (as yet unborn) second child can not.
I'm very unhappy with this legislation - for the first time, the government is distinguishing classes of Canadian-ness. Boo! Hiss!
Image
Forumosan avatar
maoman
 
Posts: 12280
Joined: 15 Sep 1999, 16:01
Location: Lotus Hill
72 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Making Canadians

Postby MotorcycleRider » 18 Apr 2009, 12:53

Yeah, the Canadian government is really pissing people off lately, first the new the HST tax system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonized_Sales_Tax, which would make certain things more expensive, and now this. WTF Canada!
Forumosan avatar
MotorcycleRider
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
 
Posts: 752
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 07 Jan 2005, 11:52
Location: At work, where else!

6000

News on changes in citizenship for Canadians living abroad

Postby Sleepyhead » 18 Apr 2009, 21:13

These are big changes.

First, children born to Canadian citizens may no longer automatically receive Canadian citizenship, even when both parents are. If you're having a kid here, check with the consulate on the new rules or you may have to apply for citizenship for your sprog.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/New ... 415818.cms

Second, some Canadians who gave up their citizenship (not by choice, or other reasons) may be able to regain it automatically. If you married a Taiwanese and were forced to give it up by the Taiwan government, getting it back may be possible just by applying. Again, check with the Canadian consulate for legal specifics.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1239931 ... =yhoofront

And excuse if others have posted this. A search for "Canadian citizen" didn't produce any results.
Me and some friends who / We been buddies since Boca Raton
Signed on a ship to /
Take a trip to old Taiwan
Got as far as Siam / Took it on the lam
Arrived in Hong Kong with all our money gone
We joined up with a a gang then
We found we couldn't go home

We still remain here / Where we don't belong
That's what they call us / Cowboys In Hong Kong
Forumosan avatar
Sleepyhead
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 Mar 2008, 15:43
Location: Taipei
1 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Making Canadians

Postby 914 » 18 Apr 2009, 22:12

Maoman wrote:It only applies to second-generation foreign -born Canadians who were born after April 17, 2009. So my two year old daughter can have a Canadian child outside of Canada, but my (as yet unborn) second child can not.
I'm very unhappy with this legislation - for the first time, the government is distinguishing classes of Canadian-ness. Boo! Hiss!

Wrong. Passing on Canadian citizenship ends with the first generation born abroad. The date of birth of any of your children doesn't matter. Your foreign-born children, however, can not pass on Canadian citizenship to their children if their children are born outside of Canada.

From http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules.asp#become:
Understanding the first generation limitation

Under the current rules, it’s possible for Canadians to pass on their citizenship to endless generations born outside Canada. To protect the value of Canadian citizenship for the future, the new law will – with a few exceptions – limit citizenship by descent to one generation born outside Canada.

This means that children born to Canadian parents in the first generation outside Canada will only be Canadian at birth if:

* one parent was born in Canada, or
* one parent became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada and was later granted citizenship (also called naturalization).
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
914
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: 01 Jun 2004, 16:11
Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Making Canadians

Postby maoman » 18 Apr 2009, 22:55

914 wrote:
Maoman wrote:It only applies to second-generation foreign -born Canadians who were born after April 17, 2009. So my two year old daughter can have a Canadian child outside of Canada, but my (as yet unborn) second child can not.
I'm very unhappy with this legislation - for the first time, the government is distinguishing classes of Canadian-ness. Boo! Hiss!

Wrong. Passing on Canadian citizenship ends with the first generation born abroad. The date of birth of any of your children doesn't matter. Your foreign-born children, however, can not pass on Canadian citizenship to their children if their children are born outside of Canada.

From http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules.asp#become:
Understanding the first generation limitation

Under the current rules, it’s possible for Canadians to pass on their citizenship to endless generations born outside Canada. To protect the value of Canadian citizenship for the future, the new law will – with a few exceptions – limit citizenship by descent to one generation born outside Canada.

This means that children born to Canadian parents in the first generation outside Canada will only be Canadian at birth if:

* one parent was born in Canada, or
* one parent became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada and was later granted citizenship (also called naturalization).

Yes, yes, I know all that. But I was reading from a gov't site that said this is not retroactive to Canadians born before the bill is passed into law. I'll try to find the exact link again.
Image
Forumosan avatar
maoman
 
Posts: 12280
Joined: 15 Sep 1999, 16:01
Location: Lotus Hill
72 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: News on changes in citizenship for Canadians living abroad

Postby Chewycorns » 19 Apr 2009, 12:14

You can renounce your citizenship, apply for new citizenship in another country, and then get back your citizenship in 1 year instead of 3 years before.

Anyone gonna take the plunge because of this?

Immigration Canada wrote:Yes. If you were a Canadian citizen in the past, but gave up, or renounced, your citizenship to take the citizenship of another country, you may resume your Canadian citizenship. To do this, former Canadians must obtain permanent resident status and live in Canada for at least one year before applying for citizenship.


http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... -faq01.asp
Forumosan avatar
Chewycorns
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5644
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 09:38
Location: Back in the Great Wide Open
1 Recognized(s)

6000

Surprise! You're a Canadian!

Postby Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer » 20 Apr 2009, 23:22

No really, hundreds of thousands of people, we're not sure how many, are soon to be Canadian! Isn't that just peachy!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123993183347727843.html
Thanks to a new law, Canada will bestow citizenship Friday on what its government believes could be hundreds of thousands of unsuspecting foreigners, most of them Americans.

The April 17 amendment to Canada's Citizenship Act automatically restores Canadian nationality to many people forced to renounce it when they became citizens of another country. It also grants citizenship to their children.



Isn't that nice! Hundreds of thousands of new little Canadians!
Forumosan avatar
Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
 
Posts: 979
Joined: 27 Jan 2008, 12:40
2 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Surprise! You're a Canadian!

Postby Mucha Man » 20 Apr 2009, 23:35

Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer wrote:....Isn't that nice! Hundreds of thousands of new little Canadians!


It's a beautiful thing in these hard times.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 17835
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
637 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Surprise! You're a Canadian!

Postby Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer » 20 Apr 2009, 23:39

Muzha Man wrote:
Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer wrote:....Isn't that nice! Hundreds of thousands of new little Canadians!


It's a beautiful thing in these hard times.


agreed. I didn't want to post the entire article, but this makes things a lot easier for so many people.

I'm sorry though, the idea of Americans waking up and finding out they are really Canadian makes me :lol: I'm only human!
Forumosan avatar
Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
 
Posts: 979
Joined: 27 Jan 2008, 12:40
2 Recognized(s)

6000





 
 
 x

Return to Dual Nationality



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 3 visitors

To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions -- WILLIAM JAMES