how to get a taiwan ID using my Taiwan overseas passport?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: how to get a taiwan ID using my Taiwan overseas passport?

Postby Satellite TV » 24 Aug 2009, 13:42

BAH wrote:In your passport does it list an ID 身份證 number?

I was also able to get mine within a day -- just established residency with a relative.

Overseas Chinese passports do not have an ID card number.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby denlim » 24 Aug 2009, 23:02

What is the length of residency with Taiwan passport? 1 year? have read about that way back 2003 or 2004, but when I was there, nobody can teel if its still in effect, but anyway, incase iI will be able to have the lenght of residency needed, where do I apply for HH?

And another thing, how or where can I apply for work visa or anything that will let me work legally while on my Taiwan passport. My employer and I have explored almost everything including hiring a lawyer for this purpose,but to no avail. thats why I had to get out and get in again as a foreigner.

My passport doesnt have an ID number in it.

Thanks
denlim
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby 555 boba » 10 Feb 2010, 00:33

I have Overseas Taiwan passport without National ID number. I was born in US and lived in TW when I was younger, but only parents registered and have number. I was left off of Hukou since I entered with US passport so the time did not count to establish residency. I plan to return to Taiwan for family reason and need to establish permanent residency, but the Visa is only good for 3 months. I would need 1 year.

What is the best way to extend visa to get one year of residency requirement to get National ID number and therefore permanent residency status?

Do I need to extend in 3 month increment? I would have to extend three times then? Will they give me 1 year at a time?
555 boba

Postby Hartzell » 11 Feb 2010, 15:33

I wonder if this Article from the Republic of China CONSTITUTION might provide the solution to the problems mentioned in this thread (I am here giving the original Chinese version and then the English language translation which appears on many Taiwan websites) --

第七條

中華民國人民,無分男女,宗教,種族,階級,黨派,在法律上一律平等。

Article 7

All citizens of the Republic of China, irrespective of sex, religion, ethnic origin, class, or party affiliation, shall be equal before the law.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

OBVIOUSLY, the Chinese version is "controlling." I note that the Chinese version does not use the term 公民, which is the word for "citizen" or "citizens." (As I recall, this word for "citizen" does not appear in the ROC Constitution . . . . . ) The Chinese version of this Article 7 uses the word 人民, which means "people." In addition, the English wording of "shall be" is rather outdated, a more straightforward translation of the original Chinese would be "are." Hence, I assume that the more correct English translation of this would be the following, (and that "foreigners" are excluded from the application of this Article) --

Article 7

All people of the Republic of China, irrespective of sex, religion, ethnic origin, class, or party affiliation, are equal before the law.

= = = = = = = = = = = =

Note: This Article 7 clearly gives "people of the ROC" a kind of cross-the-board equality under the law. For foreigners, one would have to look at individual situations, and see what legal provisions apply. For example, according to Article 7, if you are included in the scope of "people of the ROC" you would clearly have unrestricted WORK RIGHTS in the Taiwan area. (For foreigners, obviously, since 1992 their work rights have been regulated by the Employment Services Act. For other situations, foreigners would be required to investigate what laws apply.)

However, for those who are within the scope of "people of the ROC" it is clear that the ROC Constitution gives you EQUALITY . . . . . in other words the ROC Constitution does not allow the creation of different classes, ranks, or categories of nationals/citizens . . . . . .
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

Postby IceEagle » 11 Feb 2010, 21:55

Hartzell wrote:I wonder if this Article from the Republic of China CONSTITUTION might provide the solution to the problems mentioned in this thread

第七條

中華民國人民,無分男女,宗教,種族,階級,黨派,在法律上一律平等。

Article 7

All people of the Republic of China, irrespective of sex, religion, ethnic origin, class, or party affiliation, are equal before the law.

階級 means social class. I think most readers of the English version would see the word class and know that social class was the implied term, but the Chinese version makes that explicit.

Hartzell wrote:However, for those who are within the scope of "people of the ROC" it is clear that the ROC Constitution gives you EQUALITY . . . . . in other words the ROC Constitution does not allow the creation of different classes, ranks, or categories of nationals/citizens . . . . . .

Yes it does. It simply states that laws can not discriminate on the basis of gender, religion, ethnic origin, social class, or party affiliation. But discrimination by the law due to place of birth or area of household registration is not forbidden, at least not by Article 7.
IceEagle
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby chengtamer101 » 17 Jul 2012, 13:26

I need help I was born in egypt but my father taiwanese and i got taiwan passport when I was 21 years old but without id no so i just ask if I want to apply for id which place I must go and how to do that ???
chengtamer101

In Taiwan since: 18 Mar 2012

Postby BAH » 25 Jul 2012, 14:01

chengtamer101 wrote:I need help I was born in egypt but my father taiwanese and i got taiwan passport when I was 21 years old but without id no so i just ask if I want to apply for id which place I must go and how to do that ???

Tamer, please read this thread (and ask follow-up questions in it):

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=95347
Forumosan avatar
BAH
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby calvin.com » 21 Sep 2013, 10:18

saw this earlier post (basically I've the same situation) and have a quick question.

Do you need to enter Taiwan with a Taiwan passport in order to apply for the ID? Or you could enter with a US passport and apply for the ID?

Thanks for help,
-C

------------------
Have you ever lived in Taiwan before and received household registration? If you were ever registered and then revoked because you left the country for a period longer than two years you may be able to re-register. That is the case with me - I was born in Taiwan but moved out of the country at a young age, but since I was registered before I was able to resume registration AND get my national ID card within the same day of arriving back to Taiwan.
calvin.com

Postby hsinhai78 » 21 Sep 2013, 12:40

calvin.com wrote:saw this earlier post (basically I've the same situation) and have a quick question.

Do you need to enter Taiwan with a Taiwan passport in order to apply for the ID? Or you could enter with a US passport and apply for the ID?

Thanks for help,
-C

------------------
Have you ever lived in Taiwan before and received household registration? If you were ever registered and then revoked because you left the country for a period longer than two years you may be able to re-register. That is the case with me - I was born in Taiwan but moved out of the country at a young age, but since I was registered before I was able to resume registration AND get my national ID card within the same day of arriving back to Taiwan.

You must enter with your ROC passport.
Forumosan avatar
hsinhai78
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

393 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Dual Nationality