How can I get an ROC Passport?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

How can I get an ROC Passport?

Postby XinBiDe » 26 May 2009, 10:00

As an American with no ties to Taiwan except a wife, could one get a Taiwanese passport? Assuming I've lived there for several years...
XinBiDe
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: How can I get an ROC Passport?

Postby sandman » 26 May 2009, 10:06

Give up your US one, first, then you can apply for an ROC one. If you're below 35 or so, expect to be drafted. Several people posting here have done so. There are threads on the subject.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby XinBiDe » 26 May 2009, 10:10

I have to sacrifice my US citizenship just to have an ROC passport?
XinBiDe

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 26 May 2009, 10:22

XinBiDe wrote:I have to sacrifice my US citizenship just to have an ROC passport?

Yes.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 26 May 2009, 10:51

hardly seems tempting, does it? and you'll eventually be a citizen of the PRC if things keep going the way they are, which is another joy to contemplate.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

189 Recommends(s)
243 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 03 Jun 2009, 10:11

urodacus wrote:hardly seems tempting, does it? and you'll eventually be a citizen of the PRC if things keep going the way they are, which is another joy to contemplate.

Well never mind it's very convenient when you go to China to know you are not an illegal immigrant and that you can legally work. :roflmao:
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Return to Dual Nationality