ABC getting TW passport

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

ABC getting TW passport

Postby valor » 27 Jul 2009, 00:00

So here is the deal.

My girlfriend is an ABC (American) and wanting to get her Taiwanese passport. She was born and raised in America, never lived here as a child only visited family for a few weeks at a time when she did come over. Right now she is 23 years old, and has been living in Taiwan teaching English. Her parents are both Taiwanese residing in America. Both her parents are dual citizens (America and Taiwan). Can she get her Taiwanese passport? And most importantly, does she have to give up her American citizenship? That is the most important question for us as she is not willing to do that, she wants to be a dual citizen.
Forumosan avatar
valor
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: ABC getting TW passport

Postby Satellite TV » 27 Jul 2009, 23:21

valor wrote:So here is the deal.

My girlfriend is an ABC (American) and wanting to get her Taiwanese passport. She was born and raised in America, never lived here as a child only visited family for a few weeks at a time when she did come over. Right now she is 23 years old, and has been living in Taiwan teaching English. Her parents are both Taiwanese residing in America. Both her parents are dual citizens (America and Taiwan). Can she get her Taiwanese passport? And most importantly, does she have to give up her American citizenship? That is the most important question for us as she is not willing to do that, she wants to be a dual citizen.

Depends if her birth was registered in Taiwan and she got an ID number before.

If not she should best contact TECO or the local overnment here NIA
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Satellite TV » 29 Jul 2009, 16:15

I just spoke to my next door office neighbour.

American born but with parents from Taiwan..

The lass needs to apply for an ROC overseas CHinese passport. She can enter Taiwan on this.

She needs to live in Taiwan for 2 years to qualify for an ID card. It could be less I think as I know my neighbour travels overseas and when I did my ROC Nationality I just sayed for 12 months without leaving to get my ID card faster.

She does not need to give up her US nationality.

She will need to apply for a work permit to legally work here as an overseas chinese though.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Postby fh2000 » 01 Aug 2011, 00:48

Satellite TV wrote:I just spoke to my next door office neighbour.

American born but with parents from Taiwan..

The lass needs to apply for an ROC overseas CHinese passport. She can enter Taiwan on this.

She needs to live in Taiwan for 2 years to qualify for an ID card. It could be less I think as I know my neighbour travels overseas and when I did my ROC Nationality I just sayed for 12 months without leaving to get my ID card faster.

She does not need to give up her US nationality.

She will need to apply for a work permit to legally work here as an overseas chinese though.

I have a follow up question on this for my children.

I am a dual citizen (US and Taiwan) and I have hou-kou in Taipei. My children were born in US and currently in US. They are 17 and 15. I will need first to get ROC oversees Chinese passport for them.

Do they also have to fulfill the rule of living in Taiwan for 2 years in order to qualify for ID Cards?
fh2000

7 Recognized(s)

Postby whitetiger » 01 Aug 2011, 01:05

Taiwanese people can be dual citizens here. Everyone else can not.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein
Forumosan avatar
whitetiger
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby EdwardJChow » 15 Jun 2012, 18:55

To whoever,

I had a follow up question to the ABC getting TW passport. I am in the same situation. I am an ABC(a guy though) that has been in Taiwan for a little over 2 years. I just got a kindergarten job and before everything was fine. But now today 6/15, they are asking me if I can get a Taiwanese passport because they told me a few months ago one of their foreign teachers broke up with a Taiwanese girl and she notified the authorities. So the school got fined and warned about this. I was born in America and obviously have a US Passport and have been using an ARC since I have been in Taiwan. Both my parents have dual citizenship. Just wondering how easy is it to get a Taiwanese passport and to make sure, I don't have to go to the army right? Is the drill I have to leave Taiwan every 4 months for a day or what? I was born 1/27/80(32 Years old). Any help anyone can provide for me would be great. I guess I will go to the place where I got my ARC before and can ask them as well. Also right now I have an ARC from two of my jobs(This kindi would be my 3rd job) so does getting a Taiwan ID affect any of this? Sorry I know this is a very convulated story but I thought I would just ask on here and see if anyone knows. Thanks.
EdwardJChow
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

x

Return to Dual Nationality