Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Dual Citizenship

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Dual Citizenship

Postby nonredneck » 02 May 2013, 16:19

ironfist wrote:question about USA/ROC dual C.

If I open an account with my other citizenship (not US) in USA. And later I get divorced or lawsuit or bankrupted or anything like that. Can they get to that account? I think they can't because it's another person' account pretty much. But if they can link you then maybe they can? anyone actually got experience in this and know the answer? What will they ask if you wanna open a bank account in USA with a foreign passport or ID? USA address? ID I guess?, will they check the visa too? because I won't enter USA with that passport...I will enter US with USA passport.thanks guys.

You will need to give the bank your Social security number when you open the bank account. Since you are a US citizen, you have a social number, which they will want. If you try to open an account with a foreign passport, they will want an individual Taxpayer identification number, which is only for non-US citizens. However, if you tried to apply for one, you would be lying to the US government since you already have a SSN.

You can read up it here, But probably best not to try to defraud a country where the biggest crime is not paying your taxes.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Internat ... mbers-(TIN)
An ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a tax processing number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN). It is a 9-digit number, beginning with the number "9", formatted like an SSN (NNN-NN-NNNN).

To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (PDF) . The Form W-7 requires documentation substantiating foreign/alien status and true identity for each individual. You may either mail the documentation, along with the Form W-7, to the address shown in the Form W-7 Instructions, present it at IRS walk-in offices, or process your application through an Acceptance Agent authorized by the IRS.
nonredneck
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Conflicting stories to obtain hukou

Postby ET_go_home » 09 Jul 2013, 12:11

Hi all,

Hoping to get to the bottom of this with the knowledge here.

So like many, I'm looking to become a Taiwanese citizen (both passport and hukou) in addition to my US citizenship. My parents are both Taiwanese and have lived in Taipei forever. I've been told to get the ball rolling, first step is to obtain that overseas Taiwanese passport which I'll do when I fly back to San Francisco this Thursday. However, regarding hukou, I've heard two different versions:

A) have to stay in Taiwan for six months 'straight' over 2-year period
B) have to stay in Taiwan for 400 days 'combined' over two years with unlimited in and out

I can't seem to find the info on the web to confirm so hoping you folks could help me out. Also, regarding military service, I'm turning 36 this October, may I assume I'm exempted due to age?

Thanks everyone and please let me know if I'm missing anything else.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
ken
ET_go_home
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Re: Conflicting stories to obtain hukou

Postby gnaij » 09 Jul 2013, 12:27

ET_go_home wrote:Hi all,

Hoping to get to the bottom of this with the knowledge here.

So like many, I'm looking to become a Taiwanese citizen (both passport and hukou) in addition to my US citizenship. My parents are both Taiwanese and have lived in Taipei forever. I've been told to get the ball rolling, first step is to obtain that overseas Taiwanese passport which I'll do when I fly back to San Francisco this Thursday. However, regarding hukou, I've heard two different versions:

A) have to stay in Taiwan for six months 'straight' over 2-year period
B) have to stay in Taiwan for 400 days 'combined' over two years with unlimited in and out

I can't seem to find the info on the web to confirm so hoping you folks could help me out. Also, regarding military service, I'm turning 36 this October, may I assume I'm exempted due to age?

Thanks everyone and please let me know if I'm missing anything else.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
ken

The residency requirements are continuously for 1 year, 270 days per year for 3 years, or 183 days per year for 5 years. There's a bill under consideration in the legislature that will do away with these residency requirements, so you may find yourself able to establish huji sooner than that. (I started another thread on this topic.)
gnaij
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby ET_go_home » 09 Jul 2013, 12:49

Thanks very much for that info!

Now I'm confused where my fellow ABC got the "400 days combined over two years" deal from...especially when he applied it for his own huji. That also means I won't be able to make any business trips aboard after starting my new job in Taipei next month. Hope they pass the new revisions soon 'cause selfishly speaking, if my parents have lived their whole lives in Taiwan, then their kids should get the preferential/expedited treatment...
ET_go_home

Postby 2Enigma » 06 Mar 2014, 17:12

I had an opportunity today to speak with a very high administration guy. I was asked what problems Westerners have in Taiwan. After 3 minutes of listing them, I finally came to dual citizenship. I was told that it's "being discussed". I understood that it's not really Western folks but Chinese Mainlanders overrunning the place and skewing the elections. (As if they aren't already skewed)
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

In Taiwan since: 13 Sep 1991

Postby Zla'od » 18 Mar 2014, 08:53

There was something about this in the TT yesterday. Apparently some DPP legislators favor revising this rule, but the Ministry of the Interior would rather make exceptions on a case-by-case basis for those who have made "extraordinary contributions" to Taiwan, not average people who have neglected to devote our lives to charity and are not near our deathbeds.

Article here: http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/fore ... lators.htm

Taiwanease has more reliable coverage of this sort of thing: http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/leg ... nomobile=1
“What part of a woman is the yet, anyway? I heard there was a fight here in Tulsa, and a woman was shot in the fracas. The doc said the bullet is in her yet. And how did the bullet get in her yet, when she was shot in the fracas?"
Zla'od
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Dual Nationality