How do I become a Taiwanese citizen? Am I a dual national?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: How do I become a Taiwanese citizen? Am I a dual national?

Postby Curious Biker » 15 Apr 2010, 23:28

[/quote]
He's white. No WAY he can be a TW citizen. :roll:[/quote]

I rather a white TW citizen that loves the culture, people, and the land then a bunch of sell-out that protects their own interest and doesn't want anything to do with Taiwanese.

Green blooded Valcan
Curious Biker
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Satellite TV » 16 Apr 2010, 00:32

Poagao wrote:
Curious Biker wrote:Was it because you’re white or because you’re not TW Citizen?

OMG SatTV we've found someone who doesn't know you're a TW citizen! Then again, being a green-blooded Vulcan, he might have an excuse...

He probably doesnt know you are a TAiwan Citizen. After all there are about 21 millions citizens on this island and I believe that Curious Biker has yet to arrive and experience long term life here. It's bound to be very interesting for him.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Curious Biker » 16 Apr 2010, 04:32

Satellite TV wrote:
Poagao wrote:
Curious Biker wrote:Was it because you’re white or because you’re not TW Citizen?

OMG SatTV we've found someone who doesn't know you're a TW citizen! Then again, being a green-blooded Vulcan, he might have an excuse...

He probably doesnt know you are a TAiwan Citizen. After all there are about 21 millions citizens on this island and I believe that Curious Biker has yet to arrive and experience long term life here. It's bound to be very interesting for him.

You guys're probably right... thanks again! I probably will need more help from the folks here in the future.
Curious Biker

Postby bismarck » 16 Apr 2010, 07:45

Poagao wrote:

Not sure about him being Vulcan. They usually speak fluent English. He even managed to come away thinking Tommy is Sat TV's son... :eek: :roflmao:
Klingon, maybe?

btw, Curious Biker, you may find that not everyone down here is as "green" as you think they are. A fair amount are damn near "blue". Bit of advice, steer clear of political conversations unless it's at home with relatives or friends whose affiliations you're sure of. Never seen anyone anywhere get as angry as a Taiwanese over a casual political remark.

Edit: and if your wife is Taiwanese you could qualify to apply for Taiwanese citizenship by virtue of being married to her. Down side is you'd have to give up your original nationality. Some countries allow you to regain citizenship after you've renounced it, so depending on where you come from that may be an option to explore...
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby Curious Biker » 16 Apr 2010, 23:20

bismarck wrote:
Poagao wrote:

Not sure about him being Vulcan. They usually speak fluent English. He even managed to come away thinking Tommy is Sat TV's son... :eek: :roflmao:
Klingon, maybe?

btw, Curious Biker, you may find that not everyone down here is as "green" as you think they are. A fair amount are damn near "blue". Bit of advice, steer clear of political conversations unless it's at home with relatives or friends whose affiliations you're sure of. Never seen anyone anywhere get as angry as a Taiwanese over a casual political remark.

Edit: and if your wife is Taiwanese you could qualify to apply for Taiwanese citizenship by virtue of being married to her. Down side is you'd have to give up your original nationality. Some countries allow you to regain citizenship after you've renounced it, so depending on where you come from that may be an option to explore...

Look, I'm as dumb as you think... why would this community be "green"? I've seen one thread that says "DDP is bunch racist a-hole". I don't want to sound like Sarah Palin and I'm not. How about a show of hand how many of you guys speak Taiwanese (not Mandarin) as Taiwanese Citizen. Boa-wow! Point taken. Thanks! I'll stay clear of politics.

Btw.. I was addressing Tommy's thread and sort of jumped into wrong conclusion with SatTV mentioning of his boy. My bad. Sorry about that Sat.

Anyway... thanks again for the tips.
Curious Biker

Postby Poagao » 16 Apr 2010, 23:58

Curious Biker wrote:How about a show of hand how many of you guys speak Taiwanese (not Mandarin) as Taiwanese Citizen. Boa-wow! Point taken.

:hand:

But I'm not exactly green either.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
70 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 17 Apr 2010, 02:35

Curious Biker wrote:
tommy525 wrote:rereading your post. Apply for the tourist visa. Its a lot easier then even attempting to get citizenship for the reasons outlined. Me for example? Born in Taipei, lived there most of my life. US citizen due to US military dad. Cant get TW citizenship. Considered a "tourist" for all the years Iv lived in Taiwan. Hows that for human rights?

Can you imagine someone born in the USA and living there for decades who was still considered a "tourist"??

Hey man... I know this thread is kind of dated but this comment really caught my attention. Wait a min... you're born and raised in TW, acquired U.S. Citizenship via G.I. Dad, and yet not considered TW Citizen?!?! How'd that work?!?! You MUST have been considered Citizens of TAIPEI then (instead of TW)... in which what most Taipei people think of themselves anyway! LOL. This is goofy. What was the reason that you're not a TW Citizen? You grew up there and you must have household registration... your mom is there... wait... maybe you speak only Mandarin and not Taiwanese (just kidding :lol: ).

That's the reason why even though I'm 2nd generation foreign born Taiwanese.... my son & I still speaks fluent Taiwanese.

Share some details... it'll be good for everyone to learn... this is sad and wrong. Yeah... sounds a lot like our President and I started to believe that Hawaii is part of Japan.

Ok i havent visited this thread in a while. Yes born in Taiwan to TW mommy and American dad. But considered from birth to be US citizen. NO TW citizenship ever. Because at that time the laws said that if your dad is not taiwanese you dont get taiwan citizenship. That was that. Im now told that things were fuzzy in those days and actually probably could have gotten it, but hey never did. Never really needed to in those days because US citizens get five year multiple visas for free. It was easy to extend every 2 months just by virtue of having relatives in Taiwan. No hassle cept a few mins at the foreign affairs police station. And leaving Taiwan every six months for a quickie trip to HK> . And this requirement only after I was 21 or something.

SO it was no hassle not being a TW citizen at that time. I liked my trips to HK. Liked not having to serve in the ROC army. LIked not having to get permission to travel outside of TW .

And there was no work restrictions either. I could work and pay taxes like any local person, got health care and all that.

Simply put, if you were an American citizen in those days in Taiwan you pretty much could do just the same as if you were a local citizen.

Now theres restrictions on work, restrictions on visas, how long you can stay, etc etc etc.

IN those days, I got credit cards, bank accounts, work anywhere for anyone. Teach english if i wanted to. Whatever.

So the taiwan of today, being all first world wanna be and all that. Reciprocity and all that. Its now a different ballgame to live and work in TAiwan without citizenship. Its a lot lot harder.

I always figured my being a US citizen never really affected my life in Taiwan and it would always be that way.

Nowadays people born of one taiwanese parent (mom or dad) can apply for TW citizenship I understand and in fact if born in Taiwan you have to have a TW passport to even leave Taiwan.

Its not the same set of rules as when I was hatched.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

566 Recommends(s)
361 Recognized(s)

Postby Curious Biker » 17 Apr 2010, 03:15

[/quote]Ok i havent visited this thread in a while. Yes born in Taiwan to TW mommy and American dad. But considered from birth to be US citizen. NO TW citizenship ever. Because at that time the laws said that if your dad is not taiwanese you dont get taiwan citizenship. That was that. Im now told that things were fuzzy in those days and actually probably could have gotten it, but hey never did. Never really needed to in those days because US citizens get five year multiple visas for free. It was easy to extend every 2 months just by virtue of having relatives in Taiwan. No hassle cept a few mins at the foreign affairs police station. And leaving Taiwan every six months for a quickie trip to HK> . And this requirement only after I was 21 or something.

SO it was no hassle not being a TW citizen at that time. I liked my trips to HK. Liked not having to serve in the ROC army. LIked not having to get permission to travel outside of TW .

And there was no work restrictions either. I could work and pay taxes like any local person, got health care and all that.

Simply put, if you were an American citizen in those days in Taiwan you pretty much could do just the same as if you were a local citizen.

Now theres restrictions on work, restrictions on visas, how long you can stay, etc etc etc.

IN those days, I got credit cards, bank accounts, work anywhere for anyone. Teach english if i wanted to. Whatever.

So the taiwan of today, being all first world wanna be and all that. Reciprocity and all that. Its now a different ballgame to live and work in TAiwan without citizenship. Its a lot lot harder.

I always figured my being a US citizen never really affected my life in Taiwan and it would always be that way.

Nowadays people born of one taiwanese parent (mom or dad) can apply for TW citizenship I understand and in fact if born in Taiwan you have to have a TW passport to even leave Taiwan.

Its not the same set of rules as when I was hatched.[/quote]

Hey Tommy,

Good to hear from you! Sorry I got you all mixed up with Sat’s boy…

I know it’s up close and personal. Definitely appreciates you sharing your life. It must have suck to hatch at the wrong time and place. My family had the same rap like you did and took us a whole generation to fix this cluster-f*^@k. I definitely feel your pain.

Don’t mean to impose. If you don’t mind me asking… have you resolved your status? How’d you get by these days?
Curious Biker

Postby bismarck » 17 Apr 2010, 03:19

Curious Biker wrote:Look, I'm as dumb as you think...

Really? Although, I don't think I said I think you're dumb...but...ok... :idunno:

Curious Biker wrote: why would this community be "green"?

If you mean posters on this forum, I think you'll find most are DPP.

Curious Biker wrote: I've seen one thread that says "DDP is bunch racist a-hole". I don't want to sound like Sarah Palin and I'm not. How about a show of hand how many of you guys speak Taiwanese (not Mandarin) as Taiwanese Citizen. Boa-wow! Point taken. Thanks! I'll stay clear of politics.

Why "point taken"? I put my hand up. And I think so could a few others on here.
Ok, how about a show of hands of how many can speak any one of the Aboriginal languages?

Can I say "Boa-wow! Point taken!" now?

Curious Biker wrote:Anyway... thanks again for the tips.

No worries, mate. That's what we're here for. Tips, mutual advice, venting and poking fun! :thumbsup:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 17 Apr 2010, 03:25

""Hey Tommy,

Good to hear from you! Sorry I got you all mixed up with Sat’s boy…

I know it’s up close and personal. Definitely appreciates you sharing your life. It must have suck to hatch at the wrong time and place. My family had the same rap like you did and took us a whole generation to fix this cluster-f*^@k. I definitely feel your pain.

Don’t mean to impose. If you don’t mind me asking… have you resolved your status? How’d you get by these days?""

NO resolution. Am living in the USA. Only way back to stay long term realistically would involve marrying a TW girl. Am still working on that one! Or if I could figure a good business to do and open up an liaison office in TW or something.

Its just dumb that with all the time I spent living in Taiwan and being born there and all that I cant get citizenship or right of abode without leaping thru rings of fire and other circus tricks.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

566 Recommends(s)
361 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Dual Nationality