How do I become a Taiwanese citizen? Am I a dual national?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: How do I become a Taiwanese citizen? Am I a dual national?

Postby pqkdzrwt » 12 Sep 2011, 09:55

mileena wrote:I know this thread is very old, but I wanted to make two points after re-reading it today.

First, Taiwan apparently does not allow dual nationality, at least according to these websites:

http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/dual-citizenship-recognize-countries.html
http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_TAIWAN.html

The urls above could be wrong, or maybe the law has changed retroactively since then?

Second, even if I applied for Taiwanese citizenship before age 20, I ostensibly would not have gotten it, as citizenship was patrilineal when I was born in 1969, as Screaming Jesus pointed out in post #2 on page 1 of this thread. Taiwanese citizenship based on your mother being Taiwanese only began February 9, 2000 and was made retroactive to 20 years (so only those born after February 9, 1980 would have been allowed to apply for citizenship based on their mothers' Taiwanese citizenship).

This thread does seem to have some out of date (and also information that was never ever correct). It IS possible for someone with Taiwanese blood to get a taiwanese household registration (ID number) before the AND after age of 20, the rules are just a little different. I suspect the confusion may be with regards to which order you get the citizenship, ie Taiwanese citizenship gaining US citizenship vs US citizenship and gaining Taiwanese citizenship.

Under the age of 20, you basically just rock up to the NIA, fill out the forms, and they give you your ID card.

Over the age of 20, you can enter taiwan on a special visa; the visa requires to you reside in taiwan for either 365 days straight, or about 165 days each year for two years. After this time period, you rock up to the NIA they give you your ID card.

I know this because we are doing it right now for my wife and son (at the same time). At the end of the time period there is no mention of needing to renounce any citizenship. My understanding is that the mindset is simple, if you have Taiwanese blood, you ARE Taiwanese.
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 12 Sep 2011, 15:11

pqkdzrwt wrote:Over the age of 20, you can enter taiwan on a special visa; the visa requires to you reside in taiwan for either 365 days straight, or about 165 days each year for two years. After this time period, you rock up to the NIA they give you your ID card.

In this case, do they get a TARC for the year (two years)?

pqkdzrwt wrote:I know this because we are doing it right now for my wife and son (at the same time). At the end of the time period there is no mention of needing to renounce any citizenship. My understanding is that the mindset is simple, if you have Taiwanese blood, you ARE Taiwanese.

I agree with that. A child should be granted the citizenship of it's parents/parent. This being born in a country regardless of the citizenship of your parent/parents is silly (as in the US). It's ridiculous that someone like Tommy525 with a Taiwanese mother can't get Taiwanese citizenship. Or are you saying he actually could? If so, someone should let the poor bloke know!

Incidentally, I just realised I only have 310 days left to wait for my ID Card!! :discodance:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby B2FiNiTY » 09 Oct 2011, 21:26

Sorry for digging up this old thread but I've been searching forumosa and others while talking to friends and family about this subject and can't seem to find a really concrete answer or source to inquire this question.

I'm currently here in taiwan on a visitors visa (60 days), multiple entry. I want to become a taiwan citizen as I plan on moving here and spending much of my life here now.

Here are some facts:
1. currently 28 years old
2. male
3. born in the usa
4. both parents living in the usa but still have taiwan roc passports and nationality

How do I start the application process and do I have to join the military?

B2FiNiTY
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Funnytoss » 06 Apr 2012, 13:27

B2FiNiTY wrote:Sorry for digging up this old thread but I've been searching forumosa and others while talking to friends and family about this subject and can't seem to find a really concrete answer or source to inquire this question.

I'm currently here in taiwan on a visitors visa (60 days), multiple entry. I want to become a taiwan citizen as I plan on moving here and spending much of my life here now.

Here are some facts:
1. currently 28 years old
2. male
3. born in the usa
4. both parents living in the usa but still have taiwan roc passports and nationality

How do I start the application process and do I have to join the military?

I'm in the same boat as you currently. If all my trips to the NIA are correct...
You'd be considered a "Unregistered Citizen" 無戶籍國民。

You have to provide a fair amount of documentation,most notably an FBI background check, birth certificate, (both translated and certified by an overseas TECO office), and you also have to apply for a Taiwanese passport and then enter Taiwan using it. There are some other relatively minor things like a health check that can be done at designated hospitals here in Taiwan but if you've gotten that far the rest should be a breeze.

Once the application process goes through, they should give you a special ARC, after which you reside in Taiwan either for 1 year continuously without leaving the country, or 270 days within 2 years. After that you can then go and get your ID card, making you officially a Taiwanese citizen after which you will be drafted.
Funnytoss

Postby bismarck » 06 Apr 2012, 14:01

Funnytoss wrote:Once the application process goes through, they should give you a special ARC, after which you reside in Taiwan either for 1 year continuously without leaving the country, or 270 days within 2 years. After that you can then go and get your ID card, making you officially a Taiwanese citizen after which you will be drafted.

Do you mean the TARC, i.e. Taiwan Area Residence Card (台灣地區居留證)?
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby Funnytoss » 10 Apr 2012, 11:58

bismarck wrote:
Funnytoss wrote:Once the application process goes through, they should give you a special ARC, after which you reside in Taiwan either for 1 year continuously without leaving the country, or 270 days within 2 years. After that you can then go and get your ID card, making you officially a Taiwanese citizen after which you will be drafted.

Not entirely sure, actually. I was under the impression that this was a peculiar residence card that only people in this situation would be using - a temporary stopgap until you stay long enough to switch it with your ID card.
Funnytoss

Postby bismarck » 10 Apr 2012, 12:45

Funnytoss wrote:
bismarck wrote:

Not entirely sure, actually. I was under the impression that this was a peculiar residence card that only people in this situation would be using - a temporary stopgap until you stay long enough to switch it with your ID card.

It should be, as that is what it was intended for. But it's also used for people who naturalize, which is stupid as then in addition to everything else and the time already spent we have to deal with an additional year.

But I'm willing to bet if one of you check your card it will in fact be the Taiwan Area Residence Card (台灣地區居留證). Would be interesting to know either way.
Sir Winston Churchill

Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby anan » 12 May 2012, 22:37

Funnytoss wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you currently. If all my trips to the NIA are correct...
You'd be considered a "Unregistered Citizen" 無戶籍國民。

You have to provide a fair amount of documentation,most notably an FBI background check, birth certificate, (both translated and certified by an overseas TECO office), and you also have to apply for a Taiwanese passport and then enter Taiwan using it. There are some other relatively minor things like a health check that can be done at designated hospitals here in Taiwan but if you've gotten that far the rest should be a breeze.

Once the application process goes through, they should give you a special ARC, after which you reside in Taiwan either for 1 year continuously without leaving the country, or 270 days within 2 years. After that you can then go and get your ID card, making you officially a Taiwanese citizen after which you will be drafted.

Exactly the process that I had been through except for some additional requirements due to issues on my birth certificate.
- Father holds a Taiwan ID;
- Applied for an ROC passport at TECO office;
- Got ROC passport;
- Applied for resident permit [petition] TECO office;
- While the application is in process, found out that I can enter Taiwan through entry/exit permit visa (valid for 6 months with max stay of 3 months);
- Entered Taiwan on Entry/Exit Visa;
- Had a health check and DNA test (as requested by the Taiwan Office due to issues on my birth certificate)
- Submitted requested documents at NIA;
- Requested to receive the Taiwan Area Resident Certificate here in Taiwan instead of sending it to the TECO office at home country;
- Got the TARC after a week or two;
- Applied for a health card, after 4 months of stay;
- Received the health after a week or two;
- Waiting for the 1 year stay requirement to be completed, apply for household registration(?not sure if I am already in my father's household registration) and then get the ID.

On my Taiwan Area Resident Certificate it says that I am a National WithOut Household Registration (NWOHR)/Unregistered National or "無戶籍國民" (wu huji guomin) with code AF353 (acquired residency through direct/lineal relatives - which in my case is through my father).

-------------------------------------
And now, I need some help please. Anyone who have knowledge on these, please shed some light. :doh:

I am quite confused about my Nationality. Am I already a dual national? I understand that I am considered as an Overseas Chinese or 華僑 (huaqiao) though. I wanted to know this because I just gave birth and I am not sure if I should put Dual Nationality or just my first Nationality on my baby's birth certificate. And then comes the issue about how my baby can legally stay in Taiwan. Should we apply for an ARC for my baby (since I am an unregistered national) or register at the Household Registration under my father's household (if I am considered as a dual national or if it's possible)?

Also, anyone know how my husband can get a CH name legally? We made a CH name for him but the clinic won't put his CH name on the birth certificate since there is no supporting document for it. My CH name was made by my CH teacher back in my home country and I've been using that every time I need an EN document with my name translated into CH.

Any help would be much appreciated!
anan

Postby bismarck » 12 May 2012, 22:51

anan wrote:Am I already a dual national?

You are a dual national, but you don't have Taiwanese citizenship. Nationality and citizenship are two different things. A citizen is a national, but a national isn't necessarily a citizen (as in your case, until you get HHR and an ID Card).
Sir Winston Churchill

Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby blakomen » 02 Aug 2012, 00:07

Here's another crazy one for all you smart people (since Taiwanese government websites are, shall we say, an experience to use, and I'm not sure if I should just approach the NIA as my Chinese is terrible in comparison to my English)...

I was born in Malaysia to a Taiwanese Mother and Malaysian father, and then when I was young moved to New Zealand where I've spent most of my life. A few years back, my mother passed away. I recently attained New Zealand citizenship (and in doing so gave up my Malaysian one), and entered Taiwan on a Working Holiday visa on my New Zealand passport. After reading this thread and a bunch of other things online, I gather that I've passed the age 20 and under window to claim Taiwanese Citizenship, and I asked the New Zealand TECO about this but she said to just enter Taiwan first and ask someone there.

So I have:
- Taiwanese ancestry (on my mother's side, but she is deceased)
- a New Zealand Passport
- currently in Taiwan on a Working Holiday Visa.

Magical forum wizards, I ask of you:

1) Am I eligible for an ARC?
2) Is attaining an ARC (instead of aiming for citizenship) as far as you can go up the ladder before being eligible for conscription? (I am assuming that if somehow I attain full Taiwan citizenship status, being within conscription age means I will get drafted)

Any help would be great! even if you can point me towards someone in NIA who speaks English / loves edge cases. :)
Forumosan avatar
blakomen

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Dual Nationality