Overseas Chinese and ROC Citizenship

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Overseas Chinese and ROC Citizenship

Postby speed_maniac » 10 Jan 2011, 20:14

hang in there PK, this will seem like the longest year in your life but once it's over and done then :discodance:
speed_maniac
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

6 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Pioneer Kuro » 10 Jan 2011, 20:28

speed_maniac wrote:hang in there PK, this will seem like the longest year in your life but once it's over and done then :discodance:

Thanks mate, good to hear from you again. Happy New Year!
Pioneer Kuro
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby Ming Taizu » 30 Sep 2011, 23:57

Hi All,

This is a very informative thread. Thanks very much for the insight thus far.

My girlfriend wants to start the paperwork for her ROC ID when we move to Taiwan next fall, but isn't sure what she is going to be facing when she enters on her overseas ROC passport. I've done a fair amount of research in the "Dual Nationality" forum, but still have some lingering questions. I have the feeling that a visit to the TW government's website would answer a fair amount of these questions, but am on the mainland right now, don't have access to a VPN, and am short on alternatives. Apologies in advance if I've missed the answers to these questions on these websites or on Forumosa.

For starters, my general sense is that those who enter on an overseas Taiwan passport are very limited when it comes to pursuing higher education or work (I'm talking the work that requires you to present your passport and fill out many a form, not the informal tutoring kind of gig ). I'm hoping that someone might be able to offer some insight regarding this and/or paste a link to either a thread or a website with more information. At some point I should be able to get around this firewall...

In regard to establishing residency and pursuing a ROC ID: can someone outside of her nuclear family (grandparents or uncle and aunt [ROC citizens w/ hukous, respectively] who currently live in Taiwan) petition for her residency? This thread (http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=95347) suggests no. Additionally, while her parents were married in TW, they never established residency, as they immigrated to the US shortly after they tied the knot. I'm not sure about their Taiwanese hukou status. Could it speed up processing the ROC ID if she were to have said family members petition for her, and could she avoid the year spent waiting in limbo by pursuing this end?

In regarding to studying in Taiwan: My girlfriend wants to either continue studying Chinese or start at a graduate degree program in Taiwan, but wants to avoid having to take an entrance exam (not because she's lazy, but because she wouldn't be up to snuff). That being said, is it possible for her to enter Taiwan on her overseas Taiwan passport and to enroll at a university as a foreigner? Is there perhaps a specific set of rules for overseas ROC nationals who want to come to Taiwan to study? Again, I'm more than happy to pour over a different website if this question has already been answered.

If she is left out in the cold in regards to studying, is it possible for her to apply for work with her American passport if she entered on her Taiwanese passport? I'm assuming that she can't apply for an ARC after having entered with her Taiwanese passport...

As the above shows, there remains a fair amount of questions to be answered here. I'm going to have her get in touch with TECO back in the States; hopefully they will be able to offer an official recommendation. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

MTZ
Ming Taizu
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Dual Nationality