Dual Citizen - Visiting Taiwan With US Passport for 2 weeks

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Dual Citizen - Visiting Taiwan With US Passport for 2 weeks

Postby ch0002 » 17 Jul 2010, 01:12

- I currently hold a valid Taiwan Passport (10yr).
- I have lived in the US for over 16 yrs and became a US citizen earlier this year.
- Last time I visited Taiwan was 14 yrs ago
- I have recently been denied for Overseas Chinese Status - because in 1996 I visited Taiwan for a week, when I was 22 yrs old Plus the fact that I was not an US permanent resident/citizen at that time.( According to TECO - these 2 events evidently FOREVER disqualifies me to get Overseas Chinese status)

I plan to visit Taiwan this August, for 2 weeks, with my US passport. (I turned 36 in June 2010 - and am aware of the Dec 31 timeline)
Has anyone, or does anyone know of individuals being excorted to serve the Taiwan military while entering and leaving with their US passport - even for a short term visit?

Will I be simply treated as an US Citizen since I came in with a US passport? or should I wait till Next yr past Dec 31 to visit Taiwan?

I realize that there are similar postings, but wanted to check for more recent events / change in laws etc.,

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and replies
ch0002
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Dual Citizen - Visiting Taiwan With US Passport for 2 we

Postby tommy525 » 17 Jul 2010, 10:31

FAIK, Taiwan can choose to treat you as a citizen while you are in Taiwan on a US passport (because you ARE a ROC citizen as well you said). Therefore they could, if they wanted to, draft you if you are still of drafting age. NOt saying they will but they COULD.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

581 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Postby ch0002 » 17 Jul 2010, 12:50

tommy525 wrote:FAIK, Taiwan can choose to treat you as a citizen while you are in Taiwan on a US passport (because you ARE a ROC citizen as well you said). Therefore they could, if they wanted to, draft you if you are still of drafting age. NOt saying they will but they COULD.

Thanks for the reply. That they "COULD" is defintely my concern. So my question remains as to who/how many has really been detained...

I would hate to risk my family, career, house, etc., just for a 2 weeks visit

I must also add that this forum provides an invaluable service :)
ch0002

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby tommy525 » 17 Jul 2010, 12:52

Dont do it then. Although chances are probably greater then 99pct they will not draft you. They have no need for you and wouldnt know what to do with you anyway. You are pretty safe. But theres always a chance. Thems the dice you gotta roll.

( I think the chances of you getting drafted for a 2 week visit when you are almost done with being 36 years old is much less then your chances of winning big at LOTTO but then motorcycles have been hit by cows...so..dont call me if they take you away.....)
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

581 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 17 Jul 2010, 14:17

You shouldn't be at risk on a two week visit. I work with a guy who has a Taiwanese passport and South African citizenship. He's 33 years old and he's been back for about seven years to look after his ailing father. He leaves every month and returns on his SA passport. So far, he hasn't been conscripted. You should be fine.
He also doesn't have an ID card as yet, and will only apply for it once conscription is crapped or when he turns 37.

I don't see any problem with you coming for a two week visit. As long as it's only a two week visit and doesn't turn into a longer affair, in which case you may be at risk of conscription.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 17 Jul 2010, 17:51

Just make sure you don't arrive on your US passport and leave on your Taiwan passport :)
Forumosan avatar
engerim
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 17 Jul 2010, 18:18

engerim wrote:Just make sure you don't arrive on your US passport and leave on your Taiwan passport :)

Can't do that anyways.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby ch0002 » 17 Jul 2010, 21:07

bismarck wrote:You shouldn't be at risk on a two week visit. I work with a guy who has a Taiwanese passport and South African citizenship. He's 33 years old and he's been back for about seven years to look after his ailing father. He leaves every month and returns on his SA passport. So far, he hasn't been conscripted. You should be fine.
He also doesn't have an ID card as yet, and will only apply for it once conscription is crapped or when he turns 37.

I don't see any problem with you coming for a two week visit. As long as it's only a two week visit and doesn't turn into a longer affair, in which case you may be at risk of conscription.

Thanks for sharing the above info. Thats is somewhat assuring. My situation differ slightly, in that I apparantly do have an ID - meaning that when I was younger my Dad register me in the Hukou.

When was the last time your friend came for such a visit. Was it recent?

The reason I ask is that TECO mentioned and confirmed that recently there has been a case of an individual with an (entered with) US passport that was prevented to leave Taiwan, and had to serve the army. TECO mentione dthat this has recently gotten alot of people nervous - me included. When asked, TECo sayes that each case varies slightly, and there are not sure of the individual's circumstance triggering it...
ch0002

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby engerim » 17 Jul 2010, 21:11

Satellite TV wrote:
engerim wrote:Just make sure you don't arrive on your US passport and leave on your Taiwan passport :)

Can't do that anyways.

Why not? If the destination country is i.e. Japan?
Forumosan avatar
engerim

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby ch0002 » 18 Jul 2010, 03:10

It still sounds like no one personally, or know of someone, who travelled into Taiwan using a US passport and has been detained...

Promising, but not entirely assuring....
ch0002

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Dual Nationality