Taiwan ID: already processing TW Passport, what's next?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Taiwan ID: already processing TW Passport, what's next?

Postby ekuo67 » 30 Jan 2011, 11:01

ORIGINAL TITLE: Process of getting TW passport What next?

I'm 27 and ABC my parents are helping me apply for my Taiwan passport in 2 months. What is the next procedure that I need to take in order to get the ID card? My parents read an article that I would need to stay in taiwan for 180 days in order to receive it. My husband and I are looking to buy a house in Taiwan but I don't know if having a house there will help the process. I'm confused with the laws and regulations of Taiwan.
ekuo67
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Process of getting TW passport What next?

Postby JennyJenny » 31 Jan 2011, 17:23

You will need to apply at the immigration office and make sure that you enter Taiwan using Taiwanese Passport (if you apply it elsewhere).
After applying process, you will receive Resident Permit ID Card in which you have 2 options:

1. you will have to stay in Taiwan for 1 year WITHOUT leaving the country
OR 2. you can leave Taiwan anytime but you will need to fulfill 270 days each year for 2 years

You can either choose any of these option to be able to get Taiwanese ID Card/citizen.
JennyJenny
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Re: Process of getting TW passport What next?

Postby ekuo67 » 02 Feb 2011, 15:51

Is there an attorney that can help the paper work filing process? My parents just read an article that says I can leave the country but I will need to have a combined 1 year in Taiwan. I'm a little confused because everyone seems to say different things. The article was written 2 weeks ago.
ekuo67
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Taiwan ID: already processing TW Passport, what's next?

Postby CNCwt » 15 Feb 2011, 22:42

You can get all the information you need at the National Immigration Agency (NIA) of Taiwan here:
http://www.immigration.gov.tw/welcome.htm

If your parents are "Natural Born" ROC citizens, then you can get your Taiwan passport issued outside of Taiwan but it will not have the Taiwan National ID number.

After getting your Taiwan passport, for which you are now a Taiwan "National" but not a "Citizen", you can apply for a Taiwan Resident Permit if you have a direct relative (parents, brothers, or sisters), who has a valid Taiwan National ID and has Taiwan household registration, and who can petition for you.

After that, you should stay in Taiwan for one year straight and you can then apply for your Taiwan National ID and Taiwan household registration.

NOTE: The above applies only to Overseas Chinese whose parents hold valid ROC Passports and ROC uses the Jus Sanguinis policy for its nationality law.
CNCwt

Postby ekuo67 » 23 Apr 2011, 02:29

Ok, So now I received my Taiwan Passport. My parents have their household registration and ROC Passports . Do I apply for the residency permit first or do I stay in Taiwan First then apply?
ekuo67
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby CNCwt » 23 Apr 2011, 07:54

I have gone through the same process last month.

I applied for my Resident Permit in Taipei upon my arrival and be sure you use your Taiwan passport when you enter Taiwan.

You need your "authenticated and translated" birth certificate, FBI clearance, parents' marriage contract, and parents' household registration. You will have to process all these first in the US TECO consulate before coming to Taiwan. Medical certificate can be done in Taiwan.

Applying for Taiwan Resident Permit is easier in Taiwan than in the Taiwan consulate (TECO). It takes less than 2 weeks if all your documents are complete.
CNCwt

Postby ekuo67 » 24 Apr 2011, 02:39

Now with a Resident Visa you will need to stay in Taiwan for X amount of time before you get your ID? Can you leave Taiwan after you get your Resident Visa? I"m trying to figure out when I should process all my paper work. I"m going back in Oct but I don't know if I should start the process or do it when I can stay in Taiwan longer. what is athe Resident visa in Chinese so I know what to tell my mom to tell the lady at teco?
ekuo67
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby CNCwt » 24 Apr 2011, 08:33

After you get the Resident Permit (居留證), you need to stay one year straight or 2 consecutive years of at least 270 days per year to qualify for applying your Taiwan National ID (身分證) and Household Registration (戶口)。

You can leave Taiwan anytime after you get your Resident Permit but the time clock for your stay in Taiwan will be reset every time you leave Taiwan. In fact, I am outside Taiwan now for more than a month since getting my Resident Permit last March.

Btw, the FBI clearance has a valid period of 3 months only for Resident Permit application purpose with National Immigration Agency (NIA).

And here is the website of NIA regarding information for Resident Permit application in Chinese for Taiwan nationals without household registration in Taiwan:
http://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI ... 1947&mp=12

And a word of caution - there may be some slight differences in procedures since I am from the Philippines while you are from the US, though, in general, they should be the same for most.

Hope this helps...
CNCwt

Postby ekuo67 » 24 Apr 2011, 11:09

What I don't understand is that when I received my passport I was told I can only stay in Taiwan for 3 months.
ekuo67
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby CNCwt » 24 Apr 2011, 19:18

Yes, it is true that you can only stay in Taiwan for 3 months. And the reason is simple.

You may hold a Taiwan (ROC) passport but you are only an ROC National but not its Citizen.

An ROC National can visit Taiwan by applying for a visitor visa using the ROC Passport and will be granted a Visitor Visa (Gratis, by the way) with a stay of 3 months. You can extend your stay while in Taiwan for another 2 times of 3 months each. Take note that an ROC National has no right to live and work in Taiwan.

Your parents are ROC Nationals and at the same time, its Citizens and thus, have the right to live and work in Taiwan.

How to find the distinction? Try to look at your parents and your ROC passports. Your parents will have the Passport number plus the Taiwan National ID No. right below. Yours will only have the passport no.

Hope this clears up your confusion....
CNCwt

Next

x

Return to Dual Nationality