Overseas Chinese w/ passport and ARC applying for ROC ID - any way around the one-year policy?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Overseas Chinese w/ passport and ARC applying for ROC ID - any way around the one-year policy?

Postby emmus » 03 May 2011, 14:22

Hi all, I've been scouring this board for the past few days and appreciate all the information I've learned about ROC nationality/citizenship from this source!

I actually have a question about ROC citizenship that may seem far-fetched, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to at least ask...

But first, some background info: I currently have an ROC passport and ARC and both of my parents are ROC citizens. However, I'm 22 years old and my parents never applied to get ROC citizenship for me before I turned 20.

According to the current law, I have to stay in Taiwan for 365 continuous days to get my ROC ID card (aka my citizenship, aka my National Identity Card).

However, due to a family emergency, I may have to leave the country for about 7-10 days in June. I was wondering if there is any way I can petition to leave the country and make up the lost time when I return instead of having to restart my entire year over again or stay for two consecutive years.

Has anyone ever heard of such a case or know if this is possible at all? I've tried calling the National Immigration Agency to ask but due to my very basic command of the Chinese language, some things may have gotten lost in translation...

Thanks in advance!
emmus
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Overseas Chinese w/ passport and ARC applying for ROC ID - any way around the one-year policy?

Postby tess0115 » 04 May 2011, 09:42

This is an example how NIA treat its future citizen, all info are in chinese and its not very helpful especially to those coming from abroad who have known little Mandarin only.
tess0115

Re: Overseas Chinese w/ passport and ARC applying for ROC ID - any way around the one-year policy?

Postby speed_maniac » 04 May 2011, 11:21

Emmus as far as I know no one has succeeded in bypassing this hurdle. You can go to the NIA and talk to them and see if they can make an exception but the changes are very remote...this is the bitter pill that all of us had to sallow!!!

Tess if you have some issues then I guess you should start a new topic, your comments do not help the OP in any way. Also there is a lot of information available in English too. Mandarin is the language of the land and if you want to become a citizen by your own choice then hell yeah you better make an effort to at least be able to speak/understand it.....

also whenever i needed some information there were always friendly/helpful people who helped me, it all depends on your attitude, if you act like ass then you will get treated like an ass!!!
speed_maniac
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby tess0115 » 04 May 2011, 11:49

I won't argue with you SPEED_MANIAC especially I know the reason why...
tess0115

Postby riceworm » 05 May 2011, 07:19

居留期間出國,係經政府機關派遣或核准,附有證明文件者,不視為居住期間中斷,亦不予計入在臺灣地區居住期間。

http://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1088342&ctNode=31947&mp=12

You can try petitioning, but somehow I don't think a personal reason would be accepted.

By the way, as a 無戶籍國民 with an ARC, you need to apply for an Entry/Exit Permit (入出境許可 證) before traveling.
riceworm
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby emmus » 05 May 2011, 10:12

Thanks for the info! By any chance do you know where I might able to obtain a petition form? I thought it wouldn't hurt to at least try...

Thanks again!!!
emmus

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Pioneer Kuro » 05 May 2011, 10:42

speed_maniac wrote:Emmus as far as I know no one has succeeded in bypassing this hurdle. You can go to the NIA and talk to them and see if they can make an exception but the changes are very remote...this is the bitter pill that all of us had to sallow!!!

Tess if you have some issues then I guess you should start a new topic, your comments do not help the OP in any way. Also there is a lot of information available in English too. Mandarin is the language of the land and if you want to become a citizen by your own choice then hell yeah you better make an effort to at least be able to speak/understand it.....

also whenever i needed some information there were always friendly/helpful people who helped me, it all depends on your attitude, if you act like ass then you will get treated like an ass!!!

Wow! :bravo:
Pioneer Kuro
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby riceworm » 05 May 2011, 11:15

You're welcome. I don't know where you would find a petition form. How about going to the National Immigration Agency in person to find more information?
riceworm

12 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby emmus » 14 May 2011, 00:05

riceworm wrote:By the way, as a 無戶籍國民 with an ARC, you need to apply for an Entry/Exit Permit (入出境許可 證) before traveling.

Thanks for all your help!!! I've decided to leave the country temporarily due to a family emergency... but I was wondering if you could clarify the entry/exit permit issue. I called the NIA earlier but had a very difficult time communicating with the official; but basically, from my understanding, she told me that because my ARC is a Taiwan Resident Certificate and multiple-entry, I just need to show up at the airport with my ARC and Taiwanese passport to exit and reenter the country. Do you have any insight/experience with this?

Sorry for the excessive questioning!
emmus

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby riceworm » 14 May 2011, 11:05

emmus wrote:
riceworm wrote:I called the NIA earlier but had a very difficult time communicating with the official; but basically, from my understanding, she told me that because my ARC is a Taiwan Resident Certificate and multiple-entry, I just need to show up at the airport with my ARC and Taiwanese passport to exit and reenter the country. Do you have any insight/experience with this?

Sorry for the excessive questioning!

It seems that things have changed since my days as an ARC holder. The entry/exit permit used to be a piece of sticker slapped onto a page inside the passport. My permit was voided when I received my ARC, but I was unaware of it until I tried to fly.

Be sure to have your ARC with you when you travel then. :)
riceworm

12 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Dual Nationality