FBI Fingerprint Copy

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

FBI Fingerprint Copy

Postby housecat » 14 Nov 2011, 10:54

I've looked online until I'm ready to scream today.

Can anyone tell me how to request a copy of a FBI Fingerprint card that was used for criminal clearance for a public school job?

I'd like to try, again, to get JFRV status through my son, but every time I've taken prints here, they've been rejected. And every time this happens, it's another, at least, six weeks from the time the FBI gets them until they're rejected.

Or could I just get a copy of that cleared report? Will I need something more up to date? (That record would be from 2009.)

Mods, if you feel this would be better placed somewhere else, feel free to move it. I wasn't sure where to put it as it's about visas, but not. :idunno:
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Re: FBI Fingerprint Copy

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 14 Nov 2011, 11:13

housecat wrote:I've looked online until I'm ready to scream today.

Can anyone tell me how to request a copy of a FBI Fingerprint card that was used for criminal clearance for a public school job?

I'd like to try, again, to get JFRV status through my son, but every time I've taken prints here, they've been rejected. And every time this happens, it's another, at least, six weeks from the time the FBI gets them until they're rejected.

Or could I just get a copy of that cleared report? Will I need something more up to date? (That record would be from 2009.)

Mods, if you feel this would be better placed somewhere else, feel free to move it. I wasn't sure where to put it as it's about visas, but not. :idunno:
Here's some scoop.

1. You can't use a criminal background check that is more than 6 months old in order to apply for a JFRV, APRC, or naturalization. So, you have to re-do your criminal background check. Sorry about that.

2. You aren't required to use the FBI background check to get your JFRV. You can simply use your State background check which is much easier and less time consuming. The FBI background check is required for the APRC and naturalization only, at this time.

Hope this helps. PM sent.
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 14 Nov 2011, 11:19

Northcoast Surfer wrote:2. You aren't required to use the FBI background check to get your JFRV. You can simply use your State background check which is much easier and less time consuming. The FBI background check is required for the APRC and naturalization only, at this time.

OOOOHhh! Here we are at the "this is Taiwan" spot, already.

I asked specifically about that, but was told I needed the FBI check. Can you provide a link of a source in Mandarin that I could provide to the people in the local office?

I'm going to try this, as it makes much more sense, and it indeed easier. Thanks!
Forumosan avatar
housecat

ORIGINAL POSTER
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 14 Nov 2011, 16:18

housecat wrote:
Northcoast Surfer wrote:2. You aren't required to use the FBI background check to get your JFRV. You can simply use your State background check which is much easier and less time consuming. The FBI background check is required for the APRC and naturalization only, at this time.

OOOOHhh! Here we are at the "this is Taiwan" spot, already.

I asked specifically about that, but was told I needed the FBI check. Can you provide a link of a source in Mandarin that I could provide to the people in the local office?

I'm going to try this, as it makes much more sense, and it indeed easier. Thanks!

Yep! That's right.....this has been a bone of contention since the FBI background check was required for the APRC and naturalization starting in summer 2008. There is no official government website where this is written clearly and concisely in Mandarin. The only thing you can get is a bunch of BS double-talk from the NIA. Sorry.

However, I do have the following write up taken from page 60 of the official APRC thread. Based on what the Banqiao NIA has told me, you CAN use your State background check to apply for your JFRV.

Northcoast Surfer on June 8, 2011 wrote:
Ok sports fans. Here are the inconsistent, contrary to what I've been told before, double-talk, bullshit answers I received from the Banqiao NIA today on 06-08-2011 between 2:30pm and 3:30pm local time. I wonder what answer you would get if you called? :loco:

SHORT ANSWER

1. Americans applying for the APRC MUST use the FBI Federal Criminal Background check. No others are acceptable.

2. Americans applying for the JFRV (Joining Family Resident Visa) MAY use their individual State criminal background check. Americans may also opt to use the FBI federal criminal background check if they so desire.

3. Americans applying for naturalization (Taiwan citizenship) MUST use the FBI Federal Criminal Background check. No others are acceptable.

LONG ANSWER

I first called Miss Chou at the Banqiao NIA. She's the NIA officer who specifically handles the APRC and I've dealt with her on numerous occasions. She's really nice and has always been helpful. Here's her contact information. Banqiao NIA branch office, 2nd Floor, APRC processor, (02) 8964-7960 ext. 403. She told me that ALL American APRC applicants MUST use the FBI background check and that no other City, Municipal, or State background checks are allowed. If an American APRC applicant submits his/her application without the required FBI background check, she will reject it, no exceptions. I then brought up the topic of JFRV. Interesting 2nd half of the conversation.

Me: So, what about the JFRV? Same thing? FBI background check required? Can't use a State background check?

Her: What's a JFRV?

Me: You know, it's a resident visa, not a visitor's visa,,the full name is Joining Family Resident Visa.

Her: Never heard of it.

Me: Ok....let's say that an American man marries a Taiwanese woman and he wants to come and live with her here in Taiwan, that Visa is called JFRV or Joining Family Resident Visa. It gives him the right to live in Taiwan with his Taiwanese wife and it also gives him unrestricted work rights without needing a separate work-permit. Is this ringing any bells?

Her: Oh...yeah....I know what that is.

Me: So, for the JFRV and associated ARC to go with it, the FBI background check is also required?

Her: No. An American applying for a JFRV can still use his/her individual State background check or they can also use the FBI federal background if they want.

Me: No WAY! That is absolutely contrary to what I've been told by other NIA officers in the past. I was specifically told that as of July 15, 2008 that for the APRC and JFRV and naturalization that Americans MUST only use the FBI federal criminal background check for their applications.

Her: Yes, the July 2008 date for the FBI background check for APRC applicants is correct. But, I only know what I've been told and I don't handle the JFRV, I only handle the APRC and I don't really have much to do with JFRV applications. So, I've heard that using the State background check is still ok for JFRV applicants even though it is NOT ok to use it for APRC applications.

Me: Ok.....then why? Why the hell can American JFRV applicants use the easy peasy simple simple cheapo cheapo State background checks instead of the FBI background check? Why do American APRC applicants have to use the massively pain in the ass, expensive, super time consuming, life extinguishing FBI background check? Why can't American APRC applicants still use the easy State background checks?

Her: Because the APRC is for long term and the JFRV is only for a short time.

Me: Huh? What does that mean? A JFRV and an APRC are basically the same thing, except that the JFRV requires you to stay married and if you divorce you will lose the status. But, if you stay married, you can stay in Taiwan indefinitely and have unrestricted work-rights just like the APRC. There are people who have been living and working in Taiwan on a JFRV longer than I've had my APRC.

Her: Right. So, if they get divorced then it's only for a short time and not permanent.

Me: Huh? So, it's more important for Americans applying for an APRC to have an FBI background check because we will stay here longer and remain in this visa status longer than a JFRV individual? It's more important to make sure that an American APRC applicant doesn't have a criminal background by requiring them to have the inclusive all 50 States background check which the FBI background check provides and JFRV applicants who have a criminal record from California can simply get a Washington State background check where their criminal history of California won't show up and that's ok?

Her: I don't know. I don't handle JFRV applicants only APRC and the American APRC applicants are required to have the FBI background check. We just do what's written on "the papers" that "they" give "us". So I will reject any American's APRC application which doesn't have the FBI background check because I have to. Perhaps you could call the person in charge of the JFRV and they could give you some better answers.

Me: Ok, then. Who handles the JFRV applicants? What's their extension? Could you please transfer me to their extension?

Her: I don't know the extension and I don't know who handles the JFRV applicants. Just call the main number and have them transfer you to the right person.

Me: Ok. Thanks.
=======================================================================

So, then I called the main office number again and asked to speak to the person in charge of JFRV applicants. The person answering the phone didn't know what a JFRV was so I said I needed to speak to someone in charge of handling the visa applications for foreigners who marry a Taiwanese. The phone receptionist said that she would transfer me to the main information desk and that they could answer ANY question I had. I was connected to a Mr. Wu.

Me: Mr. Wu, hello. Say, I'm trying to get some specific information regarding the JFRV.

He: What's a JFRV?

Me: You know, it's a resident visa, not a visitor's visa,,the full name of it is Joining Family Resident Visa.

He: Never heard of it.

Me: Ok....let's say that an American man marries a Taiwanese woman and he wants to come and live with her here in Taiwan, that Visa is called JFRV or Joining Family Resident Visa. It gives him the right to live in Taiwan with his Taiwanese wife and it also gives him unrestricted work rights without needing a separate work-permit.

He: Oh yeah....I know what that is....but it's called 依親 (Yī qīn) visa not JFRV.

Me: Yeah, well.....all your websites, TECO visa application forms, NIA forms have it printed right on there clear as day that the 依親 visa is called a JFRV or Joining Family Resident Visa.

He: But that's English, we only know it by the Chinese name which is 依親 visa.

Me: Ok...whatever....anyway I need to know what the criminal background check requirements are for an American applicant applying for a JFRV. In the past, American applicants were able to use State background checks for their JFRV applications, but beginning July 15, 2008 I was told by an NIA officer that an FBI background check would be required for a JFRV or APRC or naturalization applications and that State background checks would no longer be acceptable.

He: Yes, that's true for the American APRC applicants, but not for American JFRV applicants. The State background check is still ok for American JFRV applicants.

Me: Ok....why? Why the hell can American JFRV applicants use the easy peasy simple simple cheapo cheapo State background checks instead of the FBI background check? Why do American APRC applicants have to use the massively pain in the ass, expensive, super time consuming, life extinguishing FBI background check? Why can't American APRC applicants still use the easy State background checks, too?

He: Probably because the JFRV process takes longer to process.

Me: No, that's absolutely NOT accurate at all. I've had an employment based ARC, JFRV based ARC, and now an APRC. Their is no major difference in applying for the JFRV versus the APRC. So, it's more important for Americans applying for an APRC to have an FBI background check because we will stay here longer and remain in this visa status longer than a JFRV individual? It's more important to make sure that an American APRC applicant doesn't have a criminal background by requiring them to have the inclusive all 50 States background check which the FBI background check provides and JFRV applicants who have a criminal record from California can simply get a Washington State background check where their criminal history of California won't show up and that's ok? The NIA doesn't care if an American JFRV applicant has a criminal record, but does care if an APRC applicant has a criminal background?

He: Well, ultimately it is because of who approves the applications.

Me: Huh? What's that supposed to mean?

He: The American JFRV applicants are approved here at our local NIA level and we only require the American applicant's criminal record from their home State. They can use the FBI background check if they want, but the State background works because we approve it ourselves. But, for the American APRC applicants, the applications aren't approved by our local NIA level. The APRC applications have to be sent to the Taiwan government to be approved.

Me: Huh? So, you're saying that each and every NIA office has the ability to approve or disapprove the JFRV applications that are submitted to the office and the Taiwan government has nothing to do with it?

He: Right.

Me: Further, the individual NIA branch offices do not have the ability to approve or disapprove the APRC applications on the local level and therefore the Taiwan government makes the decision on whether they get approved or not?

He: Correct.

Me: But, isn't the NIA a branch of the Taiwan government? If it's not part of the Taiwan government, then what is it part of? Why isn't there consistency in the requirements for the criminal background check? It should be the same. Either State background checks for both the JFRV and APRC should be ok......or both should require the same FBI background check. It's not consistent.

He: Well, we just go off of the checklist papers which "they" give "us" and for now the JFRV can use the State background check or the FBI background check for American applicants, but the American APRC applicants must use the FBI background check only and can't use the State background check.

Me: Yeah...whatever.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So....that's it sports fans. The whole sordid story.

Taiwan....where the only consistent things are the inconsistencies!

AND....Here is some more double-talk nonsense. According to this poster, the TECO in America said that he could use his Oregon State background check to apply for the JFRV, but only because he is in America and not Taiwan. NONSENSE! Makes no sense whatsoever, but hey, we live in Taiwan and therefore should be used to stupid rules which make no sense!

Akisan2 on November 13, 2011 wrote:I am applying for JFRV as well. I am currently in Oregon. I was told by TECO Seattle that I do NOT need FBI CRC, but State CRC is sufficient. If you are in Taiwan, they require FBI CRC. This made it very easy for me since all I had to do was to drive to State police and get my prints rolled. They even notarize it for you.

This is for ARC, not APRC however
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 14 Nov 2011, 16:30

What I did was go ahead and request (4 years ago) a letter from my local city police office stating that they had no record of any criminal background on my part, because it was very quick and easy to get. I turned in my JFRV paperwork with this, and they accepted it. I didn't point out that it was not a state or federal level document, and they didn't object. I fully expected them to turn around and ask for a state or federal doc. They didn't. So you could try this while waiting for the state or federal docs to come through. :idunno:
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 14 Nov 2011, 18:01

The trully maddening thing is that every single time I've had to renew an ARC since I've been back here, everyone in the immigration office has suggested I get this visa because, of course, it would be better for me and my son not to have to worry about work rights, or I could start a business, or make more money, blah, blah, blah. But I tried, in person--three times--to apply for this exact same visa before leaving the States to come back here.

I had called three different TECO offices there, in three different cities, and got three identical answers that I could do this. The TECO office I had to use (nearest my home), even though they were one of the offices I had called, refused to issue the visa. They told me I can't have residency based on a minor. I argued that this was tantamount to saying that my citizen son could not live in his own country, because he'd have no one there to support him. That same argument is why everyone here suggests I get the visa which that office refused to issue.

And, if I eventually do make this happen, it will because that same office "authenticates" my lack of a criminal history.

Taiwan UP you colon.
Forumosan avatar
housecat

ORIGINAL POSTER
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 14 Nov 2011, 18:19

I'm confused. Have you tried to get a JFRV visa in Zhanghua? I got mine in Taipei County and it was easy though the lady pissed off my wife. :noway:

Another less specific option is the 5 year multiple entry that would require a flight out every 180 days. You seem to want to do things legally o I don;t think that's much of an option.

Can you even get a JFRV based on a child in Taiwan?
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby llary » 15 Nov 2011, 21:32

housecat wrote:I had called three different TECO offices there, in three different cities, and got three identical answers that I could do this. The TECO office I had to use (nearest my home), even though they were one of the offices I had called, refused to issue the visa. They told me I can't have residency based on a minor. I argued that this was tantamount to saying that my citizen son could not live in his own country, because he'd have no one there to support him. That same argument is why everyone here suggests I get the visa which that office refused to issue.

Sadly they are correct according to the letter of the law. Unfortunately all countries I am familiar with do not allow visas or nationality to be passed on from a son or daughter, only the other way around.
llary
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

29 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 15 Nov 2011, 21:37

llary wrote:
housecat wrote:I had called three different TECO offices there, in three different cities, and got three identical answers that I could do this. The TECO office I had to use (nearest my home), even though they were one of the offices I had called, refused to issue the visa. They told me I can't have residency based on a minor. I argued that this was tantamount to saying that my citizen son could not live in his own country, because he'd have no one there to support him. That same argument is why everyone here suggests I get the visa which that office refused to issue.

Sadly they are correct according to the letter of the law. Unfortunately all countries I am familiar with do not allow visas or nationality to be passed on from a son or daughter, only the other way around.

Yes. I realize it's a dilemma. Maybe it's only possible from INSIDE this country. It's pretty maddening trying to work it out, though.
Forumosan avatar
housecat

ORIGINAL POSTER
96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby spitzig » 03 May 2012, 21:07

I've been looking for a website that has what is required for a JFRV. This is the only current relevant thing I can find. http://www.boca.gov.tw doesn't seem to have anything about JFRVs, both doing a search and looking through the English version of the website. I plan to get my wife to look through the Chinese version of the website.
spitzig
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues