in-country health exam

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

in-country health exam

Postby ncaraway » 07 Dec 2011, 15:33

I arrived in Taiwan a week ago and went to get the health exam for my visa health certificate. I'm in southern Taiwan. We called the Kaohsiung (Army) Veterans Hospital and they said they could do this. So we went there and started the process and were then told that, no, they don't do the immigration exam. They directed us to the Navy Hospital, which they assured us provided the exam. So we drove across Kaohsiung to the Navy Hospital where we were told that they offered this exam prior to November 29, 2011 but their agreement with Immigration expired and it won't be renewed until 1/1/2012. They directed us to E-Da Hospital. So we drove around Kaohsiung some more and yes, E-Da Hospital does provide the exam. One key difference, apparently, is that the Navy Hospital had included the MMR vaccine if it was needed. E-Da will charge extra for that.

Unfortunately, phoning in advance didn't seem to help since the answer you get on the phone may not be the correct one. I thought I'd share this in case it will help others.
ncaraway
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: in-country health exam

Postby justreal » 07 Dec 2011, 15:43

welcome to Taiwan, where the girls are girls and some of the guys are too. Hope you enjoy the stay.
Living in Taiwan, where the girls are women and most of the guys are too...
justreal
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby ncaraway » 09 Dec 2011, 13:57

The exam cost us just under $1500NT. I'll get the results in about one week. If it turns out that I need to get the MMR vaccine, that will cost extra. (I had the vaccine as a child in the US but don't have any record to prove it.)

On another note, I went to the Kaohsiung police station to apply for my criminal records. Total cost was just under $200NT, including the postage for them to mail me the results. This is in sharp contrast to what I had to pay for my FBI records in the US: $10US for fingerprints and $18US for the record itself, including postage.
ncaraway

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 10 Dec 2011, 14:39

the standard place to get the health exam in Kaohsiung is the Chung.Ho Hospital across from Carrefour at Shiquan (Shihcyuan) and Zihyou. I've done it there and at Datung Hospital (or something like that) on Jhonghua and Zhongzheng.

AFAIK you would still need to get the MMR vaccine even if you had a certificate from your childhood vaccination. vaccinations are not a lifetime deal. If you don't have the antibodies then they'll require it (AFAIK). You might not need the vaccination if you have a recent booster and you still don't have antibodies.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

117 Recommends(s)
121 Recognized(s)

Postby ncaraway » 14 Dec 2011, 17:22

Got my health report today and turns out I did need to get the MMR again, which was no problem (and considerably cheaper than in the States). I was pleasantly surprised to find that my local police report arrived in the mail too after only 6 days (took the FBI almost 2 months to get my US equivalent). Submitted the paperwork to Immigration today and was told to expect a household visit within the next 2 weeks.
ncaraway

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby babypillow » 14 Feb 2012, 02:00

Hi ! Can I check what visa are you applying for? I am planing on applying for a student visa and going to HK for it. However, when I spoke to the person in charge, she didn't mention the health certificate. However from some information in the website under Particular Requirements, it states the Health Certificate. From my understanding, only the school required one. Would appreciate any help as I am leaving for Hong Kong in 1 day's time! Thanks
babypillow
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby EigerMarcus » 14 Feb 2012, 10:34

You used to need the following to apply for a student resident visa:

A. A certificate of enrollment issued by the Chinese language center.
B. Proof of financial support.
C. A passport, valid for no less than six months and having blank pages sufficient for permits, visas
and stamps. In addition, bring one copy of your passport.
D. One copy of the completed visa application form, to be signed by the applicant in person, and two 2x2-inch color photos taken within from the last six months.
E. A health certificate issued within the last three months.

The health certificate was the government's requirement not the school's. A quick check and ...

It is not required for a student visitor visa:

http://www.boca.gov.tw/content.asp?CuItem=4401

It is required for a student resident visa:

http://www.boca.gov.tw/fp?xItem=2094&ctNode=533&mp=2

Which type of student visa are you applying for?
EigerMarcus

1 Recognized(s)

Postby emilrust » 26 Apr 2012, 17:21

Hi there!

I will arrive in Taipei in the beginning of July (so excited), to start "Mandarin summer camp" at NTNU, and then study at NTUST. I also need the Health certificate type B, and I was wondering if it was best to do it Taipei or in Europe?

It is my understanding that several foreigners do it in some hospital in Tapei, and the hospitals are used to these kind of requests (opposite of Europe really). What are your opinions/experience about this? I can't imagine going to a hospital in Norway, with my form in chinese, asking for a Tubercolis chest ray... :lol:

Best,

Emil
emilrust

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues