6-month visas with new administration?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

6-month visas with new administration?

Postby strider » 09 Dec 2011, 13:38

Someone told me they are planning to allow US Citizens 6-month visitor visas starting next year, is this just a rumor? I don't see anything about it anywhere...
strider
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Visa-free entry for US Citizens?

Postby Abacus » 09 Dec 2011, 22:34

strider wrote:Someone told me they are planning to allow US Citizens 6-month visitor visas starting next year, is this just a rumor? I don't see anything about it anywhere...

What's your question?

6 month visitor visa and visa free entry are 2 completely different things.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 10 Dec 2011, 00:51

I can see 90 day visa free on the horizon soon as the USA grants ROC passport holders the same.

I don't see 180 day visa free because the USA wont allow 180 day visa free. I understand the USA only allows up to 90 days at each entry and a total stay of 180 days per calendar year for non US citizens and green card holders .
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 10 Dec 2011, 04:07

USA is not going to do visa free anytime soon despite what Taiwan says in the media... Taiwan just can't yet meet the requirements.

180 day for US citizens probably won't happen soon either, but there is some rumor of 90 day for US citizen similar to some of the European countries.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 10 Dec 2011, 09:52

Some good info on the visa waiver program for the USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Waive ... _countries
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Re: 6-month visas with new administration?

Postby strider » 15 Dec 2011, 15:27

I have no idea how I even ended up as the OP, let alone entitling the thread as such. I thought I had replied to an already existing thread about the new immigration agency. No idea, weird. Anyway, I was asking if there's anyone else that has heard about the possibility of 6 month visitor visas for US citizens starting next year with the new immigration agency, and if there's information on the site somewhere that I'm not seeing.
strider

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby tommy525 » 15 Dec 2011, 15:41

I know nothing. But what would be cool is the following:

1. visa free for 90 days for USA passport holders. Free, no charge

2. six month tourist visa (five year validity, multiple entry) for USA passport holders. Free, no charge

That would be pretty awesome and indicative of the special relationship the Taiwanese have with the USA.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 15 Dec 2011, 15:49

strider wrote:I have no idea how I even ended up as the OP, let alone entitling the thread as such. I thought I had replied to an already existing thread about the new immigration agency. No idea, weird. Anyway, I was asking if there's anyone else that has heard about the possibility of 6 month visitor visas for US citizens starting next year with the new immigration agency, and if there's information on the site somewhere that I'm not seeing.

Sorry, I split your post because, IMO, it had little to do with the thread you posted it in. I thought it would be given more exposure in it's own thread. I guess I could have explained that earlier, but I didn't think it was necessary.

Also, your first post on this topic was not very clear, so sorry if I had to guess at what you were asking. Your latest post provides some extra details that weren't in the previous post.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

17 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 15 Dec 2011, 23:58

tommy525 wrote:I know nothing. But what would be cool is the following:

2. six month tourist visa (five year validity, multiple entry) for USA passport holders. Free, no charge

That would be pretty awesome and indicative of the special relationship the Taiwanese have with the USA.

Both of these would be awesome but I haven't heard rumors about the 6 month visitor visa.
Abacus

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 16 Dec 2011, 03:03

Abacus wrote:
tommy525 wrote:I know nothing. But what would be cool is the following:

Both of these would be awesome but I haven't heard rumors about the 6 month visitor visa.

All the US of A has to do is say "ok heres some F16s but we want our people to get (the above)" and it will be done IT really is THAT easy :)

OR help Taiwan get the tech it needs to build its own subs, something they are reported to be looking into now.

Uncle Sam can get the above done if he puts some effort into it and offer a few toys. OR at least grant Taiwanese visa free entry to the USA.

Gotta give to get man.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues