Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Eligibility for National Health Care

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Eligibility for National Health Care

Postby Canadianeh » 29 Jan 2012, 20:09

Coming to Taiwan in the next 30 days. My spouse will have an ARC and a work permit. Will she be eligible for National Health Care? I am coming along as well. I will not be working but plan to apply for a dependent ARC. Would I be eligible for health care?
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 10
Joined: 27 Dec 2011, 21:11
Location: Kaohsiung

Re: Eligibility for National Health Care

Postby Belgian Pie » 29 Jan 2012, 20:19

Residents from Hong Kong, Macau, China and Other Foreigners

The National Health Insurance Act stipulates that foreigners who are legal residents of Taiwan (including from Hong Kong, Macau and China) must either be registered in the health insurance program by their employer starting the day they are employed or should enroll in the program on their own four months to the day after they obtain legal residency. The following conditions apply:

-Foreign students: Foreign students can apply to be covered under the program by their school.
-Those with fixed employers: Those with a steady job can register for the program through their employers.
-The unemployed who can qualify as dependents of their spouses or blood relatives: Individuals in this category who have established residency continuously for four months can enroll in the program through the insurance registration organizations of their spouses or relatives.
-Individuals without stable employment who also do not qualify as dependents: Persons in this category who have established residency for four months should register for health insurance coverage at the administrative office in the area where they reside.
-Company chairpersons/owners: They should enroll in the program through their company four months after they establish legal residency.

NHI web site
User avatar
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
Posts: 12175
Joined: 31 Oct 2004, 19:39
Location: High ground

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests