penalty for overstaying ?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

penalty for overstaying ?

Postby RynoCeros » 12 Apr 2012, 01:14

anyone up to speed on what the penalty is for overstaying a visa ? is there a per day charge, or something like that ? dont see anything on Immigration's website addressing this, but someone told me there may be a $xx per day charge levied at the airport. any ideas ? links ?

Thanks for any assistance out there.
RynoCeros
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: penalty for overstaying ?

Postby tommy525 » 12 Apr 2012, 01:16

RynoCeros wrote:anyone up to speed on what the penalty is for overstaying a visa ? is there a per day charge, or something like that ? dont see anything on Immigration's website addressing this, but someone told me there may be a $xx per day charge levied at the airport. any ideas ? links ?

Thanks for any assistance out there.

Yeah theres a per day charge up to a certain number of days, beyond which you are looking at a possible ban from returning for a year, up to five years. So far they havent started jailing or caning people for overstaying luckily.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 12 Apr 2012, 01:19

You will also lose your ability to get a visa upon landing, although you can just apply for a visa again overseas without a hassle.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

162 Recommends(s)
163 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 12 Apr 2012, 01:35

antarcticbeech wrote:You will also lose your ability to get a visa upon landing, although you can just apply for a visa again overseas without a hassle.

I wouldnt be too sure about the "without a hassle " part though. Because it could be a hassle. Plus even near by countries take a dim view to you overstaying in another country. I overstayed by one day one time , got the stamp and went to HK and the immi officer there took a dim view to my overstaying in Taiwan. And I had to explain and convince him that I didnt plan to overstay in HongKong too.

So , all in all, do yourself a big favor and do NOT overstay your visa . Do everything possible to NOT overstay.

Its not going to be in your favor.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby EigerMarcus » 12 Apr 2012, 09:43

The information is on NIA's website under Acts and Regulations / Alien Entry Prohibition Operation Directions see Articles IV and VI regarding entry bans. And under Acts and Regulations / Immigration Act see Article 85 para 4. There are also other potential consequences of an overstay both in Taiwan and overseas and as noted, it would be best to avoid one.
EigerMarcus
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 12 Apr 2012, 10:29

I overstayed by about three or four days once. Upon leaving I was pulled aside at immigration and directed to the 'naughty' desk. They asked why I had overstayed. I explained. They asked me to pay a fine (TW$2000-$3000 or so) which I did.

That was it. Then I flew to Hong Kong, got a visa and flew back again and was let back into Taiwan the very same day. I would describe the process as 'perfunctory', even though my passport contained another overstay.

That was about three years ago.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech

162 Recommends(s)
163 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 12 Apr 2012, 11:10

You may also have to spend time in a dungeon, and fight other barbarians in a colosseum...

I must admit, I don't really know anything about overstaying, I'm just guessing this might happen.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 12 Apr 2012, 12:01

They have been getting tougher on overstays. Dont do it, unless you never plan to come back or for at least five years.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 12 Apr 2012, 14:04

If you plan on coming back to live in Taiwan, an overstay may complicate your chances of getting residency here. Whatever the case, an overstay is like a big stain on your record that has the potential to make life unnecessarily tougher for you.

Do all that is humanly possible to avoid overstaying.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues