To people who have experience with Visa-exempt entry (EU citizens)

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

To people who have experience with Visa-exempt entry (EU citizens)

Postby Taiwaner12 » 13 Apr 2012, 12:06

Dear all,

basically I just have a simple question: is it frowned upon at immigration (or even impossible?) when I re-enter on visa-free entry after making a short stint (like an afternoon) to Hongkong, after having already been in Taiwan on visa-free entry for the past 90 days?

My situation is like this: I came to Taiwan at the beginning of February from the EU on visa-free entry (90 days). At that time I had already bought flight tickets for early May (before the end of the 90 day deadline) to Hongkong where I planned to stay three days and then return to Taiwan, again on visa-free entry.

I am trying to settle down in Taiwan with my girlfriend, but my attempts at finding a job have failed this time and I am not completely through with my university degree application, as the results will be published mid-May. However, since I am living off my savings and do not want to work illegally, I am running a little low on money and was thinking about saving some money by changing my HK itinerary and instead of spending a few days there just return on the same day (which would mean not to leave the airport at all there). (However, I have not checked how much money it would cost me to change the date of the flight tickets yet).

In February immigration only asked me how long I planned to stay in Taiwan, but they didn't want to see my flight tickets (or any other document for that matter). However, I am going to buy another ticket for early August just in case they need proof, I will leave again after 90 days, at least short term.

Although my intentions are good (I chose the somewhat more toilsome way of taking care of finding a job/applying for university in Taiwan directly), I am still a little bit afraid that immigration will find it weird that I am obviously making use of the "90 day" deadline in such a way.

Therefore, I would be extremely grateful if someone who has already done this would share their experiences with me. Thank you in advance.
Taiwaner12
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: To people who have experience with Visa-exempt entry (EU citizens)

Postby milkalex » 13 Apr 2012, 12:24

Hey,

I don't see any problems.They won't ask you anything probably. But hey, drop me a PM, maybe I can help you regarding the job issue.. depending on what languages you speak.. .
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 13 Apr 2012, 13:20

Taiwan , luckily , does not demand you stay out for a certain number of days before re-entry. The fact is you can leave and come back on the same plane. The Taiwan immigration are unlikely to ask you for another ticket out of the country. However, the airline is known to ask because it falls on them to get you out if you cant get into Taiwan. But I understand for those who do the same plane return , both boarding passes are commonly given. Some people get a full fare ticket back to HK say that is fully refundable and refund it after getting back (if the airline refuses you boarding at HK without a ticket back out of Taiwan).

So you should be fine. HK can be pretty expensive to stay in. Hotels are not cheap. Sometimes its worth it to pay the round trip ferry ride out to Macau and stay cheaper at the hotels there. There are many new hotels there that are not full and have deals. YOu can catch these ferrys 24/7 near Central on HK island. Take the MTR out there.

TW immigration as mentioned, probabaly wont ask you many questions. IF asked where you plan to stay, just be truthful and say you plan to stay with your taiwan girlfriend.

Its a legit reason. And removes any worries on their part that you have insufficient funds to stay in a hotel for 90 days and all that.

But as I said, they will most likely just wave you through , they dont ask many questions usually.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

521 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwaner12 » 13 Apr 2012, 14:05

Ok, thank you a lot, guys. After your comments, another friend's opinion and my own further looking around on the web, I just called the travel agency to change my return flight date to a later time on the same day. I didn't even have to pay any fee for the adjustment. Nice. This will still be the most expensive, most extravagant cup of coffee of my life (so far).

@milkalex: I think you disabled pm, but I sent you an e-mail via forumosa.

@tommy525: thank you for the additional info and the Macau tip. I will keep it in mind for the future. I also will take an "invitation letter" signed by my girlfriend with me... just in case (didn't need it last time, but still).
Taiwaner12

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby tommy525 » 13 Apr 2012, 14:12

Dont worry. You hold an EU passport and Taiwan law allows you 90 day visa free entry. As long as you NEVER OVERSTAY your visa or break the law in Taiwan, you will continue to be let in. Thats the law and the immigration officer will not hassle you. Just dont give them an obvious reason to. Keep your mouth shut unless asked a question and then answer simply and truthfully and you are going to be fine :)
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

521 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwaner12 » 14 May 2012, 09:00

Just wanted to share with everyone that there was indeed no problem whatsoever. The airline staff in HK merely wanted to see my next flight tickets out of Taiwan which I had already bought in advance. Thanks again to everyone for the helpful comments in this thread!
Taiwaner12

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby SuperS54 » 14 May 2012, 18:08

Depending on what country you are from a 90 day visa free may be extended for a further 90 days, worth checking before booking flights.
SuperS54
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Visa & Residency Issues