Married in Taiwan, Baby coming, USA Visa? HELP

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Married in Taiwan, Baby coming, USA Visa? HELP

Postby HsinchuPro » 16 Apr 2012, 16:03

I was married in November 2011,
Now my wife is pregnant, due to deliver in October 2012.
We plan to go home for Christmas 2012 after the baby is 2 months old.

What is the process for the wife and baby to get passports / visas for USA ?
Has anyone done this before?
My wife already has been to USA 2 times on a 5 year tourist visa.
The second time we went there she said that she was travelling with her fiancee, then immigration flagged her.
they said that there was a different "spousal visa" that she needed.

So I need to apply this for her, as well as whatever we need for the baby.

Any information would help, waiting times, fees, etc.

Thanks
HsinchuPro
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Married in Taiwan, Baby coming, USA Visa? HELP

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 16 Apr 2012, 16:21

HsinchuPro wrote:My wife already has been to USA 2 times on a 5 year tourist visa.
The second time we went there she said that she was travelling with her fiancee, then immigration flagged her.
they said that there was a different "spousal visa" that she needed.

Hmmm. Interesting. My wife is a Taiwanese citizen. She is not a US citizen and does not have a US green card, either. She travels with me to the USA twice per year on her five-year visitor visa. Has never had any problems. Always goes through the US citizen line with me. I always hand both passports to the agent as the "head of the household" and there are never any questions or issues whatsoever. We've been doing this for nearly 20 years of marriage. :ponder:
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 16 Apr 2012, 16:35

Did you get married in the States? If so and that's what your now-wife's previous trip was for, yes, she should have had a different visa. (A K-1.)

Regardless, though, that's not what she needs now. Your family is just going to be visiting the United States, not moving there, right? If so, a regular visitor's visa would be appropriate for her.

As for your baby, see http://acs.ait.org.tw/report-birth-abroad.html
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 16 Apr 2012, 17:26

cranky laowai wrote:As for your baby, see http://acs.ait.org.tw/report-birth-abroad.html

Yes, do what AIT says for the baby. However, getting all of it done within two months may require some kind of expedited service just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure how long it took for us, but it was probably at least a month. Maybe AIT can give you a better idea of what the timing is like.

As for the wife, a visitor's visa should be fine. My wife also uses one of those. Just go through the "citizen's" immigration line together, both in Taiwan and in the US.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

16 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby Timabee » 16 Apr 2012, 22:18

The reply from Northcoast Surfer seems best as far as your wife is concerned as it sounds like the most straightforward. My wife and I went through a much longer process but our purpose was more than a simple visit. The same approach would likely also work for the baby (i.e. travel as a Taiwanese citizen with a visitor Visa) except that obtaining a visa within such a short time frame (between birth and expected travel date) might be a bit of a challenge (esp. if you do not live near an AIT office). Seems like you could expect some kind of questioning when entering the U.S. but its hard to argue with NC Surfer's experience. Best wishes and good luck!
Timabee
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Return to Visa & Residency Issues