work visa/ arc/ flight home

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

work visa/ arc/ flight home

Postby chris1234 » 25 Apr 2012, 04:46

My understanding is that I need to have both my flight to Taiwan and flight back to the USA booked/ paid for, if I want to get a work visa. What if I don't want to go back to the USA at the end of the contract? For example, what if I want to stay in Taiwan. Can I just cash out the flight once I am there? Or do I have to wait until signing another teaching contract?

I was thinking about using my annual return flights from teaching jobs to see other parts of the world (e.g. Australia), if I could cash the tickets in or transfer them to a different destination between school years.

I know there are some differences for people from the USA w/ 60 day visas, so I'll mention that I am from the USA, in case that matters.
chris1234
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: work visa/ arc/ flight home

Postby the bear » 25 Apr 2012, 08:45

chris1234 wrote:My understanding is that I need to have both my flight to Taiwan and flight back to the USA booked/ paid for, if I want to get a work visa. What if I don't want to go back to the USA at the end of the contract? For example, what if I want to stay in Taiwan. Can I just cash out the flight once I am there? Or do I have to wait until signing another teaching contract?

I was thinking about using my annual return flights from teaching jobs to see other parts of the world (e.g. Australia), if I could cash the tickets in or transfer them to a different destination between school years.

I know there are some differences for people from the USA w/ 60 day visas, so I'll mention that I am from the USA, in case that matters.

You don't need a return flight. There is a rule but its seldom if ever enforced. Worst case scenario you buy an open onward ticket to Hong Kong.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

25 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 26 Apr 2012, 11:13

The rule says, if you are not a legal resident of Taiwan, you are required to have a return or onward ticket.

Where and when you apply for your visa, and whether it's a resident or visitor visa, will make a difference. If you are getting a visitor visa in your home country, come here to look for a job and then change to a resident visa + ARC, then a return or onward ticket can facilitate the visa process. If you already have a job and work permit, it may not be as important.

As for what happens on the day of your trip will largely depend on which airline you are flying and in which country you are boarding. Speaking only from my experience in the US, if you are flying a US flag carrier, it is 99.9% likely they will ask you, and require you to have a return or onward ticket, get one or deny boarding. If you are flying China Airlines or Eva Air, not as likely, although I just flew China Air from SFO and I was asked to show a ticket, or my ARC.

As for what happens when you arrive in Taiwan, I've never been asked, and I have never heard of anyone being asked.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby chris1234 » 27 Apr 2012, 04:36

So, if I understand you correctly, if I come under a 1 year contract, I need a return flight, that I can cash out later. However, if I get a contract for a second year, I need another return flight for the end of my contract, in order to renew my visa.

Thanks All~
chris1234
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 27 Apr 2012, 04:43

Is that what you got out of what I wrote?
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Visa & Residency Issues