How do I get a visitor Visa?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

How do I get a visitor Visa?

Postby Chrisk » 29 Apr 2012, 06:54

I will be arriving in Taipei June 20th, and leaving August 23rd, for a total of 65 days.
I am a college student in California, and am participating in a education abroad program. I will be taking Mandarin classes at the Mandarin Training Center in the National Taiwan Normal University 師大.

The next step is to get a Visa. I have been instructed to do so. However, I can't seem to find any proper and reliable information as to how to apply for the visa.

I am supposed to submit my visa paperwork here http://www.taiwanembassy.org/US/SFO/mp.asp?mp=67
But I've read on another site that the process is online only now. and I am supposed to apply here https://visawebapp.boca.gov.tw/BOCA_MRVWeb/subroot/MRVWeb0_form.jsp
However I do not have a case number, so I cannot.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction for the actual process necessary to apply for a visa?

Thanks in Advance,
Chris
Chrisk
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: How do I get a visitor Visa?

Postby CraigTPE » 29 Apr 2012, 07:14

Call your local TECO office?

I got my visa 7+ years ago and did it by mail to the local TECO office.

That second link looks like a fill-in-the-blanks-and-print-out-the-results mail in form, but I didn't try it.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Timabee » 29 Apr 2012, 07:19

Go to the TECRO site below. I obtained a visa several years ago for a visit and they were quite helpful.

http://www.taiwanembassy.org/US/mp.asp?mp=12
Timabee
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 29 Apr 2012, 09:44

Call the closest TECO office if you have any questions.

I think whoever told you that you are supposed to do it on the web was slightly wrong. They should have said you can do it on the web. Your local TECO office (in the US) will be more than happy to help you if you show up in person.

Note - I'm talking about a TECO office in the US. They aren't very busy there (at least not in Seattle in 2009). They are really busy in HK, Manila (do not go to this TECO ever) or Bangkok (the 3 that I've been to) and they'll process your paperwork but that's it.
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

105 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Chrisk » 29 Apr 2012, 10:56

great. I've got it figured out. This is my first time traveling!

Thank you all
Chrisk

ORIGINAL POSTER

Return to Visa & Residency Issues