Justifying to TECO a 60 day visitor visa when 90 day visa-free entry is available (UK)??

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Justifying to TECO a 60 day visitor visa when 90 day visa-free entry is available (UK)??

Postby greengreen » 30 Apr 2012, 18:52

Hello I am leaving the UK for Taiwan either in June or July. I plan on teaching English for at least one year. Having looked into the visa situation I am aware that I require a 60 day visitor visa in order to A) Have time to find a job, B) Legally convert my visitor visa into a resident visa (with the 90 day visa-free entry I CANNOT convert (at least officially))

My question is this: How do I justify to the TECO office that I want to pay money for a 60 day visa when I would be granted 90 days visa-free on arrival?

Obviously I can't say that I want to convert my visa into residency (intention to work) or lie and say that I plan to study (I believe they would ask for proof).

Does anyone have experience applying for the visitor visa in the UK? (specifically the Edinburgh office) what did you say? Can I apply by post and therefore possibly avoid having to answer awkward questions?

Any advice would be mightily appreciated!

Cheers
greengreen
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Justifying to TECO a 60 day visitor visa when 90 day visa-free entry is available (UK)??

Postby CraigTPE » 01 May 2012, 06:28

greengreen wrote: Can I apply by post and therefore possibly avoid having to answer awkward questions?

I applied for mine by post, but that was in the US.

If they ask for reasons, I'd say you were researching Chinese language programs to study, but do it... so you have some information. TLI, Shi-Da, etc. Just say you aren't ready to make your choice until you visit those schools.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Re: Justifying to TECO a 60 day visitor visa when 90 day visa-free entry is available (UK)??

Postby tommy525 » 01 May 2012, 09:15

My two cents. Take the 90 day visa free because the very first time they allow you to extend that one time for another 90 days. This way you have plenty of time to get a job set up. Do a visa run to HongKong if you have to. Many are saying that you may not have to . That your visa free entry can be converted without you having to leave. But even if you have to leave, you got at least 90 days to sort things out.

They will not let you apply for a tourist visa because of the new visa free, most likely.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 01 May 2012, 09:36

just take the 90 day visa free. It sounds like you can apply for the visitor visa (and then resident visa) without leaving the country. It might also take you more than 60 days to find a job and process all of the paperwork. The 90 day visa free might save you a visa run.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby greengreen » 01 May 2012, 20:18

Thanks for the advice.

So hopefully I would be able to convert my 90day visa-free entry into a visitor visa without leaving the country. If I did however have to go on a visa run to Hong Kong wouldn't I still be in the same situation? Having to justify to the TECO in HK that I want a visitor visa over visa-free entry? Or are we talking about finding a job beforehand and then doing a visa run to somehow obtain a resident visa (sponsored by my new found job)?

Sorry in advance if these are daft questions...

Cheers
greengreen

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby tommy525 » 01 May 2012, 22:10

Theres a thread on here about a visa run to HK that may help should you need to do that. But yes you would be applying on the basis of work in that case.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby greengreen » 02 May 2012, 18:24

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!
greengreen

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues