Round Trip Ticket Question

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Round Trip Ticket Question

Postby dankal » 03 May 2012, 02:56

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry ahead of time if this question has been asked already. I've been searching for it on this site for a while with no information. If it's already been asked, can someone just point me to it?

Ok, so here is my situation. I am an American citizen, looking to come to Taiwan to teach English. I do not currently have a job, but will be looking for one right away when I get there. I am planning to fly to Taiwan using a Visa exempt entry (being an American I will only have 30 days to stay). My question is, when I purchase my flight over, will I need to purchase a round trip ticket back to the US (dated 30 or less days after my arrival date), or would I be able to leave the US/get into Taiwan by only purchasing a flight to Taiwan and having proof of an onward flight to Hong Kong (dated 30 or less days after my arrival date)?

I'm hoping I don't need the returning flight back to the US and can just get by with the onward to Hong Kong. I am worried, however, I may get stopped at either US/Taiwan costumes for only have the onward Hong Kong flight and not a return to the US.

Thanks for the help!
dankal
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Round Trip Ticket Question

Postby the bear » 03 May 2012, 08:45

onward ticket is fine. in fact immigration rarely (if ever) checks for this.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

27 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby dankal » 03 May 2012, 09:51

Great to know! Thanks!
dankal

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Skater bum » 03 May 2012, 13:17

They dont check but you will have to leave the country anyway to get your ARC because you can't change a visa exempt into an ARC. At least you couldn't 2 months ago but maybe its changed you never know.
Skater bum
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues