Mainlanders coming to TW?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Mainlanders coming to TW?

Postby mfaass » 07 May 2012, 15:10

I am Canadian and have my ARC through my daugher. I want my fiancee who is from the Mainland to come here. How do i accomplish this feat?
My Chinese isn't getting better, and my English is getting worse.
mfaass
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Mainlanders coming to TW?

Postby SuperS54 » 07 May 2012, 15:17

You can try asking in your local TECO office, but as your fiancee it may be extremely difficult to stay long term, if not impossible. If you are married then it's relatively easy, assuming your future wife is living in Canada/outside China, if she still lives in China then it's also possible but the degree of "painintheassness" depends on where her Hukou is in China.
SuperS54
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby mfaass » 07 May 2012, 15:22

Many thanks for the quick reply SuperS.

Her Hukou is in rural Sichuan and she has a residence permit in Shenzhen, Guangdong. That is where we live. I am in China and Taiwan about 50/50 but want to be closer to my daughter in Taiwan.

I'd like to bring the fiancee first on a trial basis to see if she likes it or not. I realize that even this might be a super pain in the ass.
mfaass

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby SuperS54 » 07 May 2012, 15:38

If she's resident in Shenzhen then she might be able to get a personal visit visa to Taiwan ~ I think she could get up to 14 days but i may be wrong. Failing that, assuming she has a HK compatriat book she should be able to fly from HK to Taiwan relatively easily for a short visit. A lot of the PITA stuff is related to leaving China to come to Taiwan, rather than from the Taiwan side, so exiting China to HK or any country she has a visit visa to and then travelling from there to Taiwan will make the paperwork a lot easier as you only need to check the Taiwan side regulations.
SuperS54

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby mfaass » 07 May 2012, 15:46

No HK Compatriot Book. I'm wondering if she can apply for that from her home? She's about to go back to Sichuan. Also, i heard from Taiwanese friends that Shenzhen is not on the personal visit visa list yet. Just Shanghai, Beijing, and Chengdu? Not sure. I"m wondering what government agency in Taiwan I should contact.
mfaass

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby SuperS54 » 07 May 2012, 16:09

As far as I am aware she would need to apply for the HK book from her home, best thing is to ask some local travel agents. Even with the book she might not be able to get a visa allowing her to fly to HK directly, instead there are several avenues by boat that local operators in Shenzen use, either have her go online and look it up or again go to a local travel agent. Originally only Beijing, Shanghai and Xiamen were on the list, but Shenzhen should be added this year...http://www.mac.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=101900&ctNode=6256&mp=3 . You can try contacting the mainland affairs council on that website, I would suggest she try as an individual tourist rather than mentioning her link to you and Taiwan. All of this would only get a short trip though, as before, I doubt she can live in Taiwan unless you are married and you have an ARC, but you can ask them.
SuperS54

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby mfaass » 07 May 2012, 16:28

Again, thanks for the reply and help.

I already have her working on her end of things so following up with a local agent is something we'll be doing. Seems worst case she can apply from Shenzhen when they go live as she is not a resident of Chengdu. The HK book is something else she should have anyways, though I'm not sure how she would apply for a separate visa to Taiwan. I will go to the immigration bureau tomorrow and ask some of the people my friend knows to see if i can get the inside scoop. Will post whatever I'm able to learn.
mfaass

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby muchala » 07 May 2012, 18:25

Just remember you need to set your sights on 2 things, getting out of China (individual leaving China to Taiwan visa (compatriots book) or visa to another country, such as HK or maybe even Canada), getting into Taiwan.
muchala
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)

Return to Visa & Residency Issues