Which passport to use?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Which passport to use?

Postby misspon » 10 May 2012, 03:22

Hi

I'm not too sure if this question has been asked before but I cant seem to find answers.

I am a South African Citizen with a ROC passport (no Taiwan ID). I will be traveling to Taiwan in December on an Overseas Chinese Affairs Commission Tour. It is for one month. In January I plan to go to Hong Kong for a holiday and return to Taiwan in February and start a Chinese Language program in March, for two semesters, until August.

My question is
#1 what passport should I use? Why?
#2 what visa's do I need to get? Do I need?
#3 is there any benefits to a ROC passport?

Many thanks
misspon
misspon
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Which passport to use?

Postby Baas Babelaas » 10 May 2012, 03:56

I use the two that I have.

PM if that confuses you.
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby nonredneck » 10 May 2012, 09:32

Looks like you need a visa to Enter Taiwan with a South African Passport
http://taiwan.visahq.com/requirements/South_Africa/

Visa free entry to Hong Kong with a South Africa Passport.
http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm
176. SOUTH AFRICA 30 Days

For Entry to Hong Kong with a Taiwan Passport, looks like you need a special permit since PRC won't recognize your ROC passport.
http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_7.htm
Taiwan residents holding a valid "Mainland Travel Permits for Taiwan Residents" (commonly known as "Tai Bao Zheng") may enter Hong Kong as visitor and stay for up to 30 days irrespective of whether they are transiting Hong Kong to/from the Mainland or coming to Hong Kong for visit, provided the normal immigration requirements are met.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainland_T ... vel_Permit

Seems like your best bet is to Enter Taiwan with your ROC passport, and enter Hong Kong with your South African passport.
nonredneck
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby misspon » 11 May 2012, 00:33

Okay...

But do I need a visa to get into Taiwan with my ROC passport?
Actually what is the point of an overseas Chinese having a ROC passport?

Thanks
misspon

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby CNCwt » 12 May 2012, 15:00

misspon wrote:Okay...

But do I need a visa to get into Taiwan with my ROC passport?
Actually what is the point of an overseas Chinese having a ROC passport?

Thanks

I will give you my answers on the basis that this is the case for overseas Chinese from the Philippines though I strongly suspect it will apply to most overseas Chinese all over the world.

With your ROC passport (without Taiwan National ID), you are considered a ROC national but without a right to live in Taiwan, cannot work in Taiwan, and cannot vote in Taiwan. You are allowed to visit Taiwan though.

To visit Taiwan using your ROC passport, you need to apply a Visitor Visa with TECO in your home country with your ROC passport. This visa is free of charge and you will be allowed to enter Taiwan with that visa in your ROC passport to stay not more than 3 months.
CNCwt

x

Return to Visa & Residency Issues