Does attending GRADUATE SCHOOL Defer MILITARY SERVICE?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Does attending GRADUATE SCHOOL Defer MILITARY SERVICE?

Postby kuanchengsong » 10 May 2012, 12:19

Hi,

I'm 26 year old male with a Dual citizenship in Taiwan and the U.S. I plan on going to Taiwan to study for in a graduate program for an MBA.

If I were to get into a program:

1. Do I still have to be conscripted into the military?

2. What type of visa route should I take?

3. Does the student visa allow me to defer military service?

4. Does the 183 day rule apply to me if I have a student visa?

5. Is there any official websites with this type of information?

I've searched these websites to find answers:

1.National Immigration Agency: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/lp.asp?C ... D=111&mp=1

2.Boca(bureau of Consular Affairs):http://www.boca.gov.tw/mp?mp=2

3.NCA(national conscription law agency):http://www.nca.gov.tw/EngVer/eng-6.asp

4.Department of Compulsory Military Service: http://english.docms.taipei.gov.tw/ct.a ... &mp=121012

Most of the people going to graduate schools that I've noticed are NOT required to go to the Taiwanese military due to the fact that they are either NOT Taiwanese or they were not born in Taiwan.

Ideally, I would like to attend school for 2 years then graduate and by the time I finish school, the conscription law might be reduced to 4 months. So, I would finish 2 years of School with an MBA and 4 months military service, rather than 1 year of military service and 2 years of Graduate school.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
kuanchengsong
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Does attending GRADUATE SCHOOL Defer MILITARY SERVICE?

Postby fh2000 » 10 May 2012, 14:19

My military years are long behind me, but when I served (2nd LT) many of my fellow officers came out of graduate schools. They went from college to graduate school, then served.

I deferred once before I served and I visited the local township government office. You can call your local office: 戶政市務所 兵役課 to find out, or in my case I simply walked into Miaoli office and talked to someone since it was not very busy at the time.
fh2000
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

7 Recognized(s)

Re: Does attending GRADUATE SCHOOL Defer MILITARY SERVICE?

Postby nonredneck » 10 May 2012, 23:24

This one guy I know in Taiwan avoids military service by going to Hong Kong every few months.
nonredneck
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Visa & Residency Issues