Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Pregnancy+Changing ARC=Loss of Insurance?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Pregnancy+Changing ARC=Loss of Insurance?

Postby kayt » 10 May 2012, 19:55

Can anyone help me with this situation?

Currently, my husband and I both have working ARCs (we are English teachers).

We will have a baby in Taiwan the beginning of October. After the baby is born, I will stay home to take care of her. Therefore, I will stop working July 1st when my teaching contract for this year is completed.

At that time, I will apply for a spousal ARC. The problem is, the Health Insurance Office told me that I will not have National Health Insurance for four months during the switch. That means I won't have health insurance when I have the baby.

Is there some way around this?
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 May 2012, 19:48
In Taiwan since: 22 Jul 2010

Pregnancy+Changing ARC=Loss of Insurance?

Postby headhonchoII » 11 May 2012, 07:07

Talk to more people at the health insurance office to see if they can give more ideas.

Congrats on your pregnancy.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
Posts: 14698
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 10:40
Location: Taipei

Re: Pregnancy+Changing ARC=Loss of Insurance?

Postby piwackit » 11 May 2012, 08:34

That's right, it does take four months for your health insurance to kick in after switching ARCs. Is there anyway you can switch now? Surely, your school would understand?
Certified Birth Doula
Activity center for families
User avatar
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
Posts: 568
Joined: 05 Mar 2004, 21:11
Location: Donghu

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests