Work ARC to Student ARC

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Work ARC to Student ARC

Postby Beatbox Bandit » 14 May 2012, 01:43

Does anyone have experience going from a work ARC to a student ARC? How did you do this? Thanks.
Beatbox Bandit
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Work ARC to Student ARC

Postby Rennes » 21 May 2012, 09:06

I don't have experience but I may be doing this also.

Do you know if you need to fly back to your home country?
Rennes
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Beatbox Bandit » 21 May 2012, 21:01

I can't really find anyone who has done this. I'll let you know if I figure it out!
Beatbox Bandit
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Yohimbe » 22 May 2012, 07:39

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I have been working in Taiwan for 2 years and now I will go to university. I assume it transfers pretty much the same as when you change workplaces, but I may be wrong. My issue is that my work contract ends in mid-July and school starts in mid-September. So I will need at least a 60 day visitor visa, right? I was thinking of visiting the Philippines and coming back, but I'm not sure how to get a visitor visa from the Philippines, and I don't want to go back to the U.S. Anyone have any suggestions here?
Yohimbe
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 23 Sep 2010

Postby Beatbox Bandit » 25 May 2012, 10:52

Well I went to the Bureau of Consular Affairs yesterday, and they told me that you don't need to go to your home country, but you have to leave Taiwan and apply for a student resident visa at a Taiwan Overseas Mission
Here are the documents you need:
1). Completed Application form (available here: https://visawebapp.boca.gov.tw) and six photos
2). Passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity and two blank pages (original and copy)
3). Admission letter from your school
4). Health certificate (you can get it done at the same places as your work ARC health checks)
5). Bachelor's degree diploma (original and copy authenticated by Taiwan overseas Mission and transcript authenticated by Taiwan overseas mission. She said one is okay, but I'm going to bring two)
6). Financial statement showing that you have access to more than 500,000ntd.
7). Other documents may be required on a case by case basis

It's gonna be a lot of work assembling all those documents! Good thing school doesn't start until the Fall!
Beatbox Bandit
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Rennes » 26 May 2012, 10:49

Do you know how strict they are regarding the financial statement?
The most I could probably show by Fall is 300,000, and that'd be pushing it.
Rennes

Postby Beatbox Bandit » 26 May 2012, 12:13

I don't know. Maybe you could call the TECO office that you plan on visiting.
Beatbox Bandit
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Yohimbe » 28 May 2012, 18:52

Yeah I was told pretty much the same thing. I'm just not sure if they will give a resident visa to me for the end of July/August when school doesn't start until September. I also don't see why a visitor visa wouldn't work...
Yohimbe

Postby Beatbox Bandit » 28 May 2012, 21:10

I'll bet that if you explained your situation to them, they'd do their best to accommodate you. On the TECO website, it says that you should apply "well in advance" of your travel date. Why not give it a try? Maybe call them first and explain?
Beatbox Bandit
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Yohimbe » 29 May 2012, 07:44

Yeah I contacted the Philippines office and asked them for details in email form. From past experience, these offices aren't very good at being available to help you out though, hopefully I will hear from them. The 500,000 nt thing seems ridiculously high to me, I have no idea how someone could spend that much money in Taiwan for the length of an ARC. It also isn't mentioned from what I saw on the boca website. So I asked them if scholarship and stipend count towards the financial statement. I'll let you know if/when they respond.
Yohimbe

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues