Putting spouse onto ARC/ Spousal VISA for foreign couple

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Putting spouse onto ARC/ Spousal VISA for foreign couple

Postby Rozzmosa » 14 May 2012, 20:58

Hi there!

I have lived and worked in Taiwan for approximately 5 years in the past. I am returning after a 3 year period of living back in my home country (South Africa) to start working at a school in August this year. I have been recently married and my husband will be joining me 1-2 months later. I would like to put him on my ARC as a spouse, I do understand that this means he can not work legally, but we have decided that he would shop around for jobs in the engineering field and continue studying his engineering degree at a later stage, without having the pressure of a student VISA, if possible.

I know that I must bring a certified copy of a unabridged marriage certificate, certified proof of clean records and some people have told me that I need to get the certificate translated at the Taipei liaison office in SA, but the various officials I have spoken to over the phone tell me too many different stories...
Does anybody know more about the process and what documents I need to bring? does he need to be in Taiwan when i apply? as I have been told that the process takes a long while, I would hope to avoid any VISA runs by letting him come over rather at a later stage. does he need to come on a visiting VISA first and then change to the spousal VISA? Does the school I will be working for use any of their VISA allowance if I put him on my ARC as a spouse?
I have been asking my school as well as the liaison office here in SA, but sometimes things get lost in translation and I have only received bits and pieces of the processes involved and there doesn't seem to be any relevant links to help me.

Hope someone here can???

:)

ROZZ
Rozzmosa
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Putting spouse onto ARC/ Spousal VISA for foreign couple

Postby globalgourmand » 20 Jun 2012, 13:39

Rozz, did you ever work this out? My situation is strikingly the same (non-working engineer husband!) and I'll be arriving first, doing some job-hunting (ESL), hopefully getting lined up with something so that he can hopefully apply for a spousal visa. But I'd like to rid myself of "hopefully" and change it to definitely by knowing for sure.

In Korea, he arrived on a tourist visa and changed in country w/o visa run. It was nice and easy and he was eligible for national healthcare coverage through my school as outlined in my very nice, clear, Western-termed contract. I am NOT expecting things to be so easy in Taiwan though...

Anyone else know about a foreign spousal visa/ARC and healthcare coverage? Most of the spousal info here is for Taiwanese spouses...
globalgourmand
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

14 Recommends(s)

Postby Confuzius » 20 Jun 2012, 13:43

There plenty of info, here and online

google "dependent arc"

health care, all the normal stuff, its super easy, just gotto look
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby globalgourmand » 09 Oct 2012, 23:22

I've been researching for months about this... we're getting conflicting info from the TECO offices... I've certainly googled "dependant ARC Taiwan" (and the mistaken "dependent") many a time and read manymany a thread (including your very helpful account which occurred in Taiwan, not back home, but was so nice and clear.) I guess I'm just looking for increased confirmation about overseas applications since I still feel a little unsure. Or maybe I'm just dense!

Regardless, he's going to our local TECO in the US today to apply for whatever it is that will get him here on my ARC. Both of us with giant fingers crossed... last time she said he'd need the FBI background check which she'd never mentioned before and is not concurrent with your experience. Another office in the US said he'd need a health check, which is not concurrent with the other office or your experience. I'll report back on what happens.
globalgourmand
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

14 Recommends(s)

Postby greves » 10 Oct 2012, 00:11

As far as I know, you will need an FBI background check. Here's the list:

http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=186 ... e=778&mp=2

It's not listed on there, but I believe it will fall under "other requested documents" and is now standard procedure.
greves
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 10 Oct 2012, 01:21

greves wrote:As far as I know, you will need an FBI background check. Here's the list:

http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=186 ... e=778&mp=2

It's not listed on there, but I believe it will fall under "other requested documents" and is now standard procedure.

Standard procedure since when?

Last year, almost EXACTLY a year ago, I got a dependent ARC...no background check, not even health check.

This website is pretty vague...it SEEMS to be for people who are seeking an ARC based on being married to a Taiwanese individual,which is not the OP's case. The wording is bad, it says a "resident" of Taiwan, which I believe they mean citizen (ie has household registration).

Maybe this has changed in the past year? But I seriously doubt it. To get an ARC (for work) you do not need a background check...this we all know. So it would make no sense, whatsoever, for a spouse to need a background check to get a dependent ARC (based on their spouse's work ARC, which did not need a background check).

Get you mairrage certificate certified/notarized whatever it is they do at your local teco.

Come to Taiwan (on a visitor visa, not visa free entry) and get a job.

Have hubby follow you (also on a visitor visa).

Once you got your arc, get him a dependent (your work will take care of this if you ask them).

(I believe both visitor visas need to be extendable to avoid any hassle or visa runs)

Now, to get health insurance, your hubby will need a health check too, and he must remain in the country, without leaving for even a second (as I found out when I had to run to America to grab my dog, which reset the clock) for 4 months without interruption-no iffs and or buts. He can leave after that forvisits, but for 4months he must remain in the country, with his arc in hand.

Thats it, voila!

Unless this has totally changed in the last year, and there are stricter requirements for the dependent spouse than the working spouse (which makes not a lick of sense) then this is what you need to do.

2nd edit

its like 1:30 am,sorry,reread your original post (and my spacebar is sticking for some reason)
to address all your questions:

if TECO certifies your mairrage certificate, no need for translation.Why would you need it translated if tecoapproved it?

I do believe me must be in Taiwan to get the dependent arc

The process takes a few weeks, say, 3-5 (depending how lazy your works admin is and time of year) but, when they apply,you get a little receiptshowing it, so even ifyour visa is running out, since you got that receipt, youre good (though I would do it asap obviously,in case you run into complications)

Yes, he needs to be on a visitor visa first (extendable I do so believe)

but I do not know of this "spousal visa" of which you speak. Maybe there is such a thing? Come on an extendable, visitor visa then get his arc here.

I am pretty sure there is no issue with visa allowance for your spouse in regards to your work, that would not make sense. (this is, purely speculation however)

So follow the steps above and you should be good. But to recap:

In your homecountry:
1. Get extendable, visitor visas for the two of you
2. Get your marriage cert. certified by teco

In Taiwan
1. YOU come to Taiwan
2. YOU get a job
3. YOU get a health check
4. You get work permit and ARC

5. You have your work get your hubby adependent arc.
6. You live happily ever after
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 10 Oct 2012, 01:27

globalgourmand wrote:I've been researching for months about this... we're getting conflicting info from the TECO offices... I've certainly googled "dependant ARC Taiwan" (and the mistaken "dependent") many a time and read manymany a thread (including your very helpful account which occurred in Taiwan, not back home, but was so nice and clear.) I guess I'm just looking for increased confirmation about overseas applications since I still feel a little unsure. Or maybe I'm just dense!

Regardless, he's going to our local TECO in the US today to apply for whatever it is that will get him here on my ARC. Both of us with giant fingers crossed... last time she said he'd need the FBI background check which she'd never mentioned before and is not concurrent with your experience. Another office in the US said he'd need a health check, which is not concurrent with the other office or your experience. I'll report back on what happens.

The ONLY documents he needs to get a dependent arc are:

1. Certified marriage certificate
2. A visitor visa (extendable)
3. Passport (which will have his visa inside)

Thats it,unless, like I said, there has been a major upheaval in the past year and if there was, I would imagine we would have heard about it.

TECO employees I honestly believe, are either evil and trying to keep you out of the country or are honest to god mentally retarded. Do not trust them, do your homework.

EDIT

It just occurred to me that maybe you are trying to get him a dependent arc BEFORE he comes to Taiwan...I have no clue if that is even, in any way shape or form, possible. From what I know (and I of course could be wrong...) he has to be in Taiwan to apply for it (again, your work will do that...but only if you ask them).

Regarding the health check (which is what made me realize the above) he will get it in Taiwan (no arc or insurance needed, dont remember how much it costs, its certainly in the threads somewhere,and it dont break the bank) he will get this in Taiwan as well.
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby greves » 10 Oct 2012, 02:53

(Edited for accuracy)

Ok, so it seems the Chinese version of boca.gov.tw is much more thorough. You need this for 外籍人之外籍配偶居留 (foreign spouse of foreign resident, visa type SF):

http://www.boca.gov.tw/content?CuItem=1322&mp=1

There is no specific mention of a criminal background check, but #6 on the list of documents is "other requested documents."

I would suggest you tell your consular office to read this website: http://www.boca.gov.tw/content?CuItem=1319&mp=1

It shows the requirement for a criminal background check (number 5), but only specifically for foreign spouses of Taiwanese citizens, not of foreign residents - that is visa type TS, and you need visa type SF, so the requirements for TS are irrelevant.

Now, if they ask you for the FBI check despite you showing them those lists, while not legally required, I don't think there is anything preventing them from asking. However, since it's not legally required, maybe they would be happy with a local background check? You could ask.

Also, it is not possible to get *any* ARC before coming to Taiwan, as ARC's are issued by local NIA offices. It is, however, possible to get the resident visa before coming, for both the employed spouse and the dependent spouse. The documentation would be exactly the same as a resident visa applied for from within Taiwan.

But actually, OP, it will be easier if your spouse simply comes to Taiwan on a visitor visa (which he can pick up in 1 day in Hong Kong on the way here), with "visiting relatives" as his reason for visit, with a copy of your ARC and marriage certificate. Then, he can do the health check here (FYI it's usually around $1700NT), and my guess is that you will have better luck dealing with BOCA in Taiwan rather than at the overseas missions regarding the FBI check.
greves

15 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 10 Oct 2012, 03:23

greves wrote:I'm pretty sure you're wrong about this.

Check this link: https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop ... &p=1466308

I had also enquired about this with NIA in Kaohsiung and was told the same. It was on an official-looking list of documents required, too.

An alien joining alien family still gets a JFRV - so they will definitely need the FBI background check.

Also, it is not possible to get *any* ARC before coming to Taiwan, as ARC's are issued by local NIA offices. It is, however, possible to get the resident visa before coming, for both the employed spouse and the dependent spouse. The documentation would be exactly the same as a resident visa applied for from within Taiwan.

If it's going to be in Taiwan, which in this case would make things easier if OP's SO can get the FBI background check while still Stateside, then OP's SO should arrive on a visitor visa with "visiting relatives" as the purpose of visit and a copy of OP's ARC. I say easier because the health check will be easier to get in Taiwan than in the US with no insurance.

It really annoys me that so many people on this forum post advice of the form: "X might be true, but I don't think so because of a personal story from years ago." Laws change, and we would do well to at least look for the newest information when we post what is supposed to be helpful advice.

FYI, the health check is around $1600-1800 NT, generally. It depends on the hospital and exactly which health check form needs to be filled out.

Be annoyed all you want, I did this last year, no FBI background check.

And you seem to not realize:

jfrv DOES NOT EQUAL dependent ARC

Have you ever gone through the process of getting a dependent arc?

I have no clue whatsoever about jfrv, never said I did.

You say "a foreign spouse joining another foreign spouse gets a jfrv",not necesarilly, they can get a dependent arc (like I did), which seems to be a hellovalot less trouble.

And I am not sure if that statement of yours is even correct, or why would I have gotten a dependent arc?

But either way, what I said is 100% accurate...if you do not know the dependent arc process, maybe you shouldnt be giving false advice about it.
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby greves » 10 Oct 2012, 03:39

Confuzius wrote:Be annoyed all you want, I did this last year, no FBI background check.

And you seem to not realize:

jfrv DOES NOT EQUAL dependent ARC

Have you ever gone through the process of getting a dependent arc?

I have no clue whatsoever about jfrv, never said I did.

You say "a foreign spouse joining another foreign spouse gets a jfrv",not necesarilly, they can get a dependent arc (like I did), which seems to be a hellovalot less trouble.

And I am not sure if that statement of yours is even correct, or why would I have gotten a dependent arc?

But either way, what I said is 100% accurate...if you do not know the dependent arc process, maybe you shouldnt be giving false advice about it.

You're right about this, so I'm sorry I wrote that and just changed it. Please refresh thread and check my new response. I spoke too soon... oh, the irony! :P

BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by "dependent ARC" after reading through BOCA's website. It seems that the visa would still be classified as 依親居留 (i.e., JFRV), but the *visa class* is different, which is why there is a difference in requirements and you don't (shouldn't, anyway) need an FBI check. I believe the FBI check is needed for the visa (type TS), not the ARC. For an ARC, all that's needed is a valid resident visa.

Can you check - does your ARC say 依親居留證 for "Type" at the top?
greves

15 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues