Need advice ASAP on whether to get a visitor's visa or not

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Need advice ASAP on whether to get a visitor's visa or not

Postby Multiracial Man » 31 May 2012, 04:04

I'm from the US and I'm looking to get a job in Taiwan. I just booked a 1 way flight there with the intention of doing visa runs until I am employed but I'm trying to figure out if it would just be better to apply for a visitor's visa before hand. I wouldn't have a problem doing this but it seems like the visa office will only accept a round trip itinerary (U.S. to Taiwan), thus causing me to spend a lot more money on a ticket back here (which I can cancel for a small penalty perhaps) as opposed to just doing cheap visa runs every 30 days. If my impression is incorrect and I just have to provide an itinerary that shows that I am leaving Taiwan to go somewhere else, please let me know.

Has anyone transitioned their visa exempt entry into a work permit/ARC directly? Or is it always the case that you have to apply for a visitor's visa (in Taiwan or abroad)? I'm trying to resolve this situation in the next week so I appreciate your comments and advice! Has anyone had the experience of canceling a return ticket and getting a 100% refund? If so, what airline did you choose?
Multiracial Man
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Need advice ASAP on whether to get a visitor's visa or not

Postby Confuzius » 31 May 2012, 05:03

Multiracial Man wrote:I'm from the US and I'm looking to get a job in Taiwan. I just booked a 1 way flight there with the intention of doing visa runs until I am employed but I'm trying to figure out if it would just be better to apply for a visitor's visa before hand. I wouldn't have a problem doing this but it seems like the visa office will only accept a round trip itinerary (U.S. to Taiwan), thus causing me to spend a lot more money on a ticket back here (which I can cancel for a small penalty perhaps) as opposed to just doing cheap visa runs every 30 days. If my impression is incorrect and I just have to provide an itinerary that shows that I am leaving Taiwan to go somewhere else, please let me know.

Has anyone transitioned their visa exempt entry into a work permit/ARC directly? Or is it always the case that you have to apply for a visitor's visa (in Taiwan or abroad)? I'm trying to resolve this situation in the next week so I appreciate your comments and advice! Has anyone had the experience of canceling a return ticket and getting a 100% refund? If so, what airline did you choose?

this is covered a million times in the forums, search is your friend!

i just advised someone on this last week

USE SEARCH
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Multiracial Man » 31 May 2012, 05:20

I've read a bunch of the posts but I'm still not sure what I should do.
Multiracial Man

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Multiracial Man » 31 May 2012, 05:22

Confuzius wrote:
Multiracial Man wrote:I'm from the US and I'm looking to get a job in Taiwan. I just booked a 1 way flight there with the intention of doing visa runs until I am employed but I'm trying to figure out if it would just be better to apply for a visitor's visa before hand. I wouldn't have a problem doing this but it seems like the visa office will only accept a round trip itinerary (U.S. to Taiwan), thus causing me to spend a lot more money on a ticket back here (which I can cancel for a small penalty perhaps) as opposed to just doing cheap visa runs every 30 days. If my impression is incorrect and I just have to provide an itinerary that shows that I am leaving Taiwan to go somewhere else, please let me know.

this is covered a million times in the forums, search is your friend!

i just advised someone on this last week

USE SEARCH

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=110127&p=1426489#p1426489
is this what you're referring to?
Multiracial Man

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby CraigTPE » 31 May 2012, 05:39

Whether you have a tourist visa or not, the chances are high that the airline won't board you if you don't have a ticket to leave Taiwan. Rule says all visitors must have return or onward tickets. If you have a resident visa, you don't need to meet this requirement.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Multiracial Man » 31 May 2012, 05:46

CraigTPE wrote:Whether you have a tourist visa or not, the chances are high that the airline won't board you if you don't have a ticket to leave Taiwan. Rule says all visitors must have return or onward tickets. If you have a resident visa, you don't need to meet this requirement.

I know that, I'm asking this question because I spoke to two different visa employees at the Taiwan consulate in the U.S. One told me that its only possible to get the tourist visa if I have a round trip ticket to my point of origin (so New York) and other told me that I just need to have a ticket out of Taiwan, period. I'm not sure which is correct and as you can imagine, a ticket from Taiwan to NY is way more expensive than one to Hong Kong (which I planned on going to anyhow)...So my decision right now is to apply for the visa either with a Ticket from Taiwan to Hong Kong or one from Taiwan to NY.
Multiracial Man

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Multiracial Man » 31 May 2012, 05:46

CraigTPE wrote:Whether you have a tourist visa or not, the chances are high that the airline won't board you if you don't have a ticket to leave Taiwan. Rule says all visitors must have return or onward tickets. If you have a resident visa, you don't need to meet this requirement.

I know that, I'm asking this question because I spoke to two different visa employees at the Taiwan consulate in the U.S. One told me that its only possible to get the tourist visa if I have a round trip ticket to my point of origin (so New York) and other told me that I just need to have a ticket out of Taiwan, period. I'm not sure which is correct and as you can imagine, a ticket from Taiwan to NY is way more expensive than one to Hong Kong (which I planned on going to anyhow)...So my decision right now is to apply for the visa either with a Ticket from Taiwan to Hong Kong or one from Taiwan to NY.
Multiracial Man

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Confuzius » 31 May 2012, 05:49

Multiracial Man wrote:

roundtrip ticket is BS...the TECO person probably speaks bad Chingrish (they did in SF)

just a ticket outta TW will do
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Multiracial Man » 31 May 2012, 05:54

Confuzius wrote:
Multiracial Man wrote:

roundtrip ticket is BS...the TECO person probably speaks bad Chingrish (they did in SF)

just a ticket outta TW will do

Thanks, I hope so. I will be applying for it in a couple of days.
Multiracial Man

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby CraigTPE » 31 May 2012, 05:55

To issue a tourist visa, they have to be reasonably sure you aren't going to stay. You decide how best to do that; return ticket or onward ticket.

Further, just for visa issuance, you don't need the actual ticket. Just get an itinerary. Either print it yourself off the Internet, or pay a travel agent a couple bucks to book some flights and print an itinerary.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues