Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Major visa issues

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Major visa issues

Postby Briancl83 » 06 Jun 2012, 17:31

I am a korean-american and My wife and I are currently in taiwan on a 30 day on-arrival visa (landing visa). We want to start language school at a local university but because we are here on a landing visa" we are required to go out of the country and get a student visa. (because we didnt do this in the states thinking that once we enroll in school, our landing visa will automatically change to a student visa, which was not the case.) Now the only problem is that my wife doesn't have any more room on her passport for visa stamping as she is on the last page of her passport book.

My question is, can I leave the country with her, get my student visa and then have her under me with a spousal visa while we are going to school? Or does the spousal visa only work for work and ARC's? Please let us know if you have any information.
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 1
Joined: 06 Jun 2012, 17:12
In Taiwan since: 01 Jun 2012

Re: Major visa issues

Postby sandman » 06 Jun 2012, 18:09

She's going to need a new passport, or at least some extra pages attached to it. I think she can get this through the American Institute in Taiwan (assuming she's also a US citizen).
Whether she has a spousal ARC (in which case she won't be allowed to work -- not sure about attending school) or her own one, she'll still need space for a visa of some sort, I think.
Manjusri (Wénshū)
Posts: 30176
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01

Re: Major visa issues

Postby cranky laowai » 06 Jun 2012, 18:17

User avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
Posts: 4713
Joined: 29 Jan 2001, 17:01
Location: Banqiao

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 guests