Effective April 1, 2012 - All American JFRV applicants MUST use an FBI background check.

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Effective April 1, 2012 - All American JFRV applicants MUST use an FBI background check.

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 27 Jun 2012, 17:22

Attention all American JFRV applicants: Important News!!

It was just confirmed on 6-27-2012 that the NIA will no longer accept a State criminal background check for any JFRV applications. The effective date of this change was April 1, 2012. Of course there were/are no official announcements for this newest change, per standard Taiwanese operating procedures. However, I just got off the phone with the Taipei NIA office and also the Banqiao NIA office. Both have independently confirmed to me that all American JFRV applicants must use the FBI background check and that the State background checks are no longer acceptable effective April 1, 2012. And no, this is not an April Fool's Day joke.

Criminal Background Check Requirements for Americans

JFRV applicants - FBI background check required. Effective 4-1-2012

APRC applicants - FBI background check required. Effective 7-14-2007

Naturalization applicants - FBI background check required. Effective 7-14-2007

Students - no criminal background check required, yet.

Work-permit - no criminal background check required, yet.

This post was recommended by Tempo Gain (27 Jun 2012, 19:40)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

ORIGINAL POSTER
175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Re: Effective April 1, 2012 - All American JFRV applicants MUST use an FBI background check.

Postby tandava » 03 Jul 2012, 10:01

Do you know how strict they're going to be about reviewing these background checks?

Say you have a misdemeanor arrest on your FBI check. Will there be a problem?
tandava
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Re: Effective April 1, 2012 - All American JFRV applicants MUST use an FBI background check.

Postby Yoda » 05 Jul 2012, 19:31

My wife is an American citizen working here in Taiwan with an ARC. We got married here in Taiwan and I would like to go under her ARC. I've heard mixed stories here on what you have to do from different people including different agencies. My friend says that him and his wife were told they needed a background check and in the end they did not. I know getting the background check here and finshed is a pain and takes a long time. One agency told us we couldn't even get married here; that was a lie. They do not even know their own laws. I also would like to know if misdameanors will be a problem on the background check if it turns out I do need to get one? Any information would be amazing! Thank you!
Yoda

In Taiwan since: 03 Jan 2012

Re: Legalization of Canadian Criminal Background Check, Finger printing

Postby samkierana » 31 Jul 2012, 05:37

For the U.S. it can take months for the process. I ended up using this company to expedite the fingerprint background process. It was done to teach in South Korea, but I don't think you have to do it for China. Anyway, all you have to do is go to the police station, take your fingerprints and mail the fingerprints on the FD 258 card, FBI application to Apostille Pros. They will send it to the FBI and the CBC go back to them (for faster process). Then they apostille the docs once they receive it. All in all, it was done faster than me doing it.
samkierana

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 29 Sep 2012, 16:04

It takes the FBI 3 months to do the background check and they don't necessarily get it right (like if they have trouble reading the prints). In Taiwan a background check takes 3 days and 100nt... how's that for a "developed country"?

I don't see how going to another company will expedite things unless that company is closely connected with the FBI so applications from them receive a little more priority.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby globalgourmand » 05 Oct 2012, 23:12

I am an American working in Taiwan and my American husband has tickets to join me in two weeks. In Korea he applied for a dependant visa. I can't find anything on the TECO consulate websites that references any kind of dependant visa... but isn't the JFRV only for individuals trying to join their native Taiwanese spouses?

We've been thrown for a loop because the office he's called twice before had never mentioned needing a FBI check UNTIL his latest (third) call to them. Now she says FBI background check but no healthcheck. Just to see, he called another office a few hours away and they mentioned he needed a healthcheck but not FBI background. Okay great, we'll do that except.... he doesn't have healthcare at the moment so a healthcheck would probably be quite pricey....

Can someone confirm that the JFRV is not what we need?

@Yoda-- what ended up happening in your situation?
globalgourmand
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

14 Recommends(s)

Postby greves » 10 Oct 2012, 03:04

globalgourmand wrote:I am an American working in Taiwan and my American husband has tickets to join me in two weeks. In Korea he applied for a dependant visa. I can't find anything on the TECO consulate websites that references any kind of dependant visa... but isn't the JFRV only for individuals trying to join their native Taiwanese spouses?

We've been thrown for a loop because the office he's called twice before had never mentioned needing a FBI check UNTIL his latest (third) call to them. Now she says FBI background check but no healthcheck. Just to see, he called another office a few hours away and they mentioned he needed a healthcheck but not FBI background. Okay great, we'll do that except.... he doesn't have healthcare at the moment so a healthcheck would probably be quite pricey....

Can someone confirm that the JFRV is not what we need?

@Yoda-- what ended up happening in your situation?

Edit: Please see other thread

https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop ... 4#p1468874
greves
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby Evzob » 16 Oct 2012, 19:48

Can anybody give me a quick rundown on the process for getting an FBI background check while in Taiwan? Getting married soon....
Evzob
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 16 Oct 2012, 20:52

Print out a fingerprinting form online from FBI, go to the national immigration agency to get yoru fingerprint, fill out any pertanent info, mail the completed form back to the FBI with a check for the fee, wait 3 months
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby Evzob » 17 Oct 2012, 02:05

Thanks! Does it always take 3 months, or is that the maximum? And I still have to send it to TECO for authentication I assume....bleh.
Evzob
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues