Dependent ARC and Possible Taiwanese lies

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Dependent ARC and Possible Taiwanese lies

Postby tommy525 » 06 Jul 2012, 14:30

spaint wrote:
cfimages wrote:
nonredneck wrote:Thanks for the response. I don't believe the USA issues marriage certificates if you got married in a foreign country. I'm pretty sure Taiwan must know this. Getting it authenticated at a US consulate is probably the only thing I can do. I've been warned that Taiwan would try to make it difficult to bring a SE Asian wife to Taiwan. Looks like they are right.

I wouldn't be too hard on Taiwan over this - there's no reason for them to know the US doesn't issue certificates. I doubt they're lying to you over it or purposely giving you a hard time.

They can't possibly have not encountered this kind of thing before.

I remember when I was married to my ex the immigration officers wanted proof of British registration of the marriage. I was incredulous: first I haven't lived in the UK since I was a minor, and second the marriage was done IN TAIWAN - but they still wanted me to jump through their idiotic hoops.

I rarely defend the TW govt because they are royal fuck ups on immigration and all that jazz and has caused me personally a lot of hassles. But in this case, since the UK does NOT recognize marriage performed in Taiwan, they are within the realm of understanding to require proof your marriage is recognized by the country of your passport. Especially the UK . Because otherwise you hve a marriage considered invalid in the UK.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)

Postby spaint » 06 Jul 2012, 15:02

tommy525 wrote:I rarely defend the TW govt because they are royal fuck ups on immigration and all that jazz and has caused me personally a lot of hassles. But in this case, since the UK does NOT recognize marriage performed in Taiwan, they are within the realm of understanding to require proof your marriage is recognized by the country of your passport. Especially the UK . Because otherwise you hve a marriage considered invalid in the UK.

First off, it was a long time ago, so my recollection is hazy, but as I recall this "problem" of UK recognition wasn't a problem back then. It wasn't even on the radar.

Second, the UK doesn't have a household registry system; the rule in the UK is (to paraphrase) "if your marriage is legal where it was performed, then it's good enough for the UK".

Third, I was applying for a JFRV, as a spouse of a Taiwanese citizen with a marriage certificate for a marriage that was performed in Taiwan. Those fucking imbeciles wanted me to get the Taiwanese marriage certificate stamped by a completely NON-EXISTENT agency in the UK as though that would somehow increase its authenticity. What should it matter what the UK thinks of the marriage if I'm applying for a Taiwanese resident visa?
spaint
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

41 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 06 Jul 2012, 15:04

Preaching to the choir . I agree. They dont make sense at all, their rules and regs on such matters.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)

Postby spaint » 06 Jul 2012, 15:06

Accidentally posted instead of editing...
spaint

41 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 06 Jul 2012, 17:55

nonredneck wrote:Could any one confirm if the Taiwan government is lying to me? I am married to a Vietnamese National in Vietnam and am set to move to Taiwan this year. However, my work is telling me that Taiwan wants a US marriage certificate to recognize the marriage before issuing a dependent ARC. This is bullsh*t as the US doesn't issue marriage certificates for people not married in the USA.

I suspect the Taiwanese are lying to me. Anybody agree or disagree?

Strangely enough I don't understand the law in Taiwan either. I married in Taiwan, my wife is Taiwanese and I needed the proof that our marriage was certified in Belgium before I could get my ARC ... JFRV, or however you call it. Obviously the Taiwanese government doesn't recognize their own certificates. That was, about 10 years ago, now I have an APRC.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby spaint » 06 Jul 2012, 17:57

For the record, I did NOT have my marriage approved/certified/authenticated/whatever by the UK and still got the JFRV. But the OP did not marry in Taiwan, so the situation is certainly different.
spaint

41 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 06 Jul 2012, 18:02

spaint wrote:For the record, I did NOT have my marriage approved/certified/authenticated/whatever by the UK and still got the JFRV. But the OP did not marry in Taiwan, so the situation is certainly different.

It's bureaucracy, they just want to stamp a lot of documents ... but, I think that a cerificate from Vietnam, translated and notarized (by TECO in Vietnam) could suffice.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 06 Jul 2012, 20:46

nonredneck wrote:Could any one confirm if the Taiwan government is lying to me? I am married to a Vietnamese National in Vietnam and am set to move to Taiwan this year. However, my work is telling me that Taiwan wants a US marriage certificate to recognize the marriage before issuing a dependent ARC. This is bullsh*t as the US doesn't issue marriage certificates for people not married in the USA.

I suspect the Taiwanese are lying to me. Anybody agree or disagree?

They always do this.. What you do here is head to the consulate and get a notarized statement that you are in fact married. You can get it same day, no fuss. Will you be able to do it when you get here?
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

337 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 06 Jul 2012, 23:12

come to think of it, when i got mine , i married in taiwan and didnt have to jump thru a bunch of rings.

Married in Shilin district court. Got the Police report from the USA (got my dad to get me one and mail it to me) , the quick physical, and that was pretty much it. Needed the US embassy to give me the cert of no impediment (just swore you are single in front of an occifer) in order to marry.

not a lot of hoops. was pretty straight forward.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues