Can blue collar workers get an APRC?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby bumclouds » 15 Jul 2012, 01:09

Okay so one of my mates has made a new girlfriend here in Taiwan. She's a foreigner and she's from South East Asia. I feel her immigration situation doesn't quite calculate and I'm trying to warn my friend.

She told me she currently holds an APRC, and that she found a job 2 months after arriving in Taiwan.
She also told me she's been here for 6 years and arrived when she was 19. She has held that same job up until today, and that job is in a trading company. She works on a computer.

This does not make sense, right? Something is fishy/illegal here. I'm thinking perhaps she has signed up as a blue collar worker and started engaging in white collar work.
Your warning level: [3]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

ORIGINAL POSTER
88 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

Re: Can blue collar workers get an APRC?

Postby dasaint » 15 Jul 2012, 01:31

No.
I'm back!
Forumosan avatar
dasaint
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

8 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 15 Jul 2012, 01:41

No to which thing?
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds

ORIGINAL POSTER
88 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 15 Jul 2012, 08:48

Possibly she didn't come here as a blue collar worker if she's always been in an office?
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

153 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 15 Jul 2012, 13:25

But cfimages, she's 25 years old. She said she's been here for 6 years. That means she arrived when she was 19.

Could a 19-year-old really have the college education and 2 years experience required for a white collar workers work permit?

I think she's hiding a marriage and I really want to protect my friend from her.
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds

ORIGINAL POSTER
88 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

Postby dasaint » 15 Jul 2012, 21:17

Title of post is "Can blue collar workers get an APRC?" Answer is NO. No ifs and buts.
I'm back!
Forumosan avatar
dasaint

8 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 16 Jul 2012, 00:10

Exactly. If she's Filipino, Indonesian or any other South eastern nationality, that does not limit her only to a blue collar job. She might be telling the truth regarding having a white collar job.

However, as Bumclouds points out, the math does not add up. Even if she is -probably, I presume- listed as Overseas Chinese, as many of South East Asia white collar workers I know, fellow students or editors or finance people.

OTOH, Bumclouds, there is just so much you can do. Your spidey senses are telling you something is afoot, but if the affected party -your friend- cannot or doesn't want to see it, then, aside from speaking your piece -which will not be well received- there is little you can do. In matters of the heart, the worst blindness comes from the one who shuts his eyes, as we say in Spanish.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

531 Recommends(s)
412 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 16 Jul 2012, 00:15

Never get in the way of a guy and his girl (or a girl and her guy). If they are headed for a crash you have to let them crash. If you intervene it probably will cost you a friendship (at least).
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 16 Jul 2012, 01:12

tommy525 wrote:Never get in the way of a guy and his girl (or a girl and her guy). If they are headed for a crash you have to let them crash. If you intervene it probably will cost you a friendship (at least).

Both me and my girlfriend sat him down at the dinner table and told him what we thought. We told him straight up we think she's illegal and we think she's sus.

My mate was just visiting me in Taiwan for a few days. He wasn't planning on coming back. Now he plans on quitting his job as a lawyer to come here and find her again.

If there's a God out there, please save him!
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds

ORIGINAL POSTER
88 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 16 Jul 2012, 04:28

You can't save him from lurve. She might not be 100% legit but does that really matter?
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1306 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Visa & Residency Issues