Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Can I leave and come back on my visa?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Can I leave and come back on my visa?

Postby axiom » 13 Nov 2003, 09:31

Ok, the archives would seem to suggest that I can leave and come back on the visa I just obtained...but I'm lookin for a bit more reassurance...so, if someone can reassure me, I'd be much obliged.

I'm an American citizen who just recieved a 60-day, multiple-entry visitor visa that says " NO EXTENSION" on it, and it's valid for 5 years...also in the "remarks" section, it has a "P" (don't know if that matters)...so, what I want to know is, can I go to Taiwan for 60 days, leave (say, go to Hong Kong for a day) and come back for another 60 days without filling out any more paper work or visiting a Taiwan embassy?
Thanks,
Brian
axiom
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 13 Nov 2003, 09:50

I think it means 60 days from when you first use it. EG. if you stay in Taiwan 40 days, then go to Hong Kong and back, you can only stay 20 more days, minus any days you spend in Hong Kong. Does it have an expiration date on it ?
Er.... thingy.
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

that's discouraging

Postby axiom » 13 Nov 2003, 10:07

that's discouraging. It expires Nov. 6th 2008. In typical human fashion, though, I guess I will believe that which I want to believe, i.e. the archives.
axiom

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hidesj » 14 Nov 2003, 16:52

I think that you will find that your Visa allows you to stay for upto 60 days at a time for 5 years. Hence, 'multiple-entry'. I previously had a 60 day multi-entry visa but valid for only six months. All I had to do a 'visa run' to Hong Kong every 60 days or so. Friends of mine are here on similar Visas, valid for between 1 and 3 years.

So, you can come and go as much as you please as long as you don't stay for longer than 60 days at a time.

The 'NO EXTENSION' seems to be normal. It means that you cannot extend your Visa after 5 years. Your Visa is valid until they stamp 'USED' on it.
hidesj

Postby Mr He » 14 Nov 2003, 17:50

What I have heard is that they are great visas to have. No problems for 5 years, as long as you get off the island every 60 days. I would be happy to have one, nearly as good as a visiting family visa/w arc.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

awesome

Postby axiom » 14 Nov 2003, 23:23

GREAT! Just the information I was looking for...thanks alot.
axiom

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

A related question

Postby rooftop » 01 Feb 2005, 21:57

My mom is flying in to Taiwan and then on to Thailand.

Her time in Taiwan is counted as a stopover. While here, she wants to take a side trip to Hong Kong.

Question: Does she need to apply for a special sort of visa to be able to leave an return during her stopover?
Tulsa nightlife: filth, gin. A slut.
rooftop
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby jlick » 06 Feb 2005, 14:32

The no extension means you can't go into the FAP and get your visa extended another 60 days to extend any one stay here. E.g:

1) Non-extendable: You can stay up to the time allotted on the visa but can't get an extension. (In practice you may be able to get a few days extension for a good enough reason.) Landing visas are always non-extendable, visas you apply for can be either.

2) Extendable: At the end of the time allotted on the visa you can go to the FAP, fill out a form and get it extended another 60 or 90 days. You can do this multiple time up to a total of 6 months per stay max. If you've received a non-landing visa that is not stamped "no extension" then it is extendable.

In addition there's multiple vs. single entry:

1) Multiple Entry: you can stay up to the time allotted in the visa each time you arrive. When your time is up you can leave the country and come back to start over again. You can do this as many times as you wish until the visa expires.

2) Single Entry: you can enter and leave the country once on the visa. After you use it is is stamped cancelled and you'd need a separate visa next time.

Before I was on JFRV ARC, I had a five year multiple entry extendable visa. In theory I could have stayed up to six months at a time, but in practice I always had to go somewhere every 60 days anyways.

So for the OP, he can stay up to 60 days at a time for as many times as he wants until the visa expires, but he can't extend any one stay past 60 days.

Students will usually receive an extendable single-entry visa, and get extensions up to six months and then have to do a visa run to get a new one.

As for rooftop's qusetion, if she is coming on a landing visa, she can come and go staying up to 30 days at a time with no other documentation other than an outgoing ticket.
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

In Taiwan since: 17 Nov 1999

Postby moretap » 14 Oct 2005, 10:25

jlick wrote:1) Multiple Entry: you can stay up to the time allotted in the visa each time you arrive. When your time is up you can leave the country and come back to start over again. You can do this as many times as you wish until the visa expires.

ok, two questions about this one.

1) When you leave the country do you have to do any paperwork, talk to anybody, or anything bureaucratic? Or do you just get off the plane, go through customs, look around, get on the plane go back through customs in Taiwan.

2) When buying a plane ticket does it have to be a 3 way ticket: i.e. to Japan, to Taiwan, then to somewhere else?
moretap
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby jlick » 14 Oct 2005, 10:41

moretap wrote:1) When you leave the country do you have to do any paperwork, talk to anybody, or anything bureaucratic? Or do you just get off the plane, go through customs, look around, get on the plane go back through customs in Taiwan.

You do not have to do anything special, just fill out the normal immigration card when you arrive and put your visa number in the box provided. And to be pedantic, this is done at immigration. Immigration is where you are permitted to enter or leave the country. Customs is where your stuff is permitted to enter the country.

2) When buying a plane ticket does it have to be a 3 way ticket: i.e. to Japan, to Taiwan, then to somewhere else?

Except for resident visas/re-entry permits, you are required to have an outbound ticket to enter Taiwan on a visa. However, I was never asked to show my outbound ticketby immigration. That doesn't get you off the hook though; your airline may not permit you to board unless you have an outbound ticket, and I was usually asked to show that. The airline is responsible for taking you back if you are refused entry to Taiwan, so they have a really good incentive to make sure you have an outbound ticket.
jlick

In Taiwan since: 17 Nov 1999

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues