Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

ARC Relocation

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

ARC Relocation

Postby Guest » 02 Sep 2000, 05:05


I am working at a school for 3 months now, I have a ARC and the expiry date is for next year June. The school did all the paperwork for the application and I've paid NT$1000 for the ARC.

The problem is, they are breaking the rules of the contract and threaten me by saying that they will deport me if I leave so that I cannot return to the ROC for 2 years.

Is it possible to stay in Taiwan and work at another school with the same ARC by changing it or what must I do.

Please help me.

ARC Relocation

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2000, 08:12

From what I understand, if you are on a work visa, your ARC expires as soon as your company/school reports that they have terminated your employment. Your best option is to try and find another company/school that will provide you with a new work permit. I believe it is possible to keep or extend your current ARC as long as you have a valid work permit. In other words, if your new employer can/will provide you with a new work permit upon the termination of your current work permit, you should be able to keep the ARC. You will have to undergo the same work visa application process, however.

ARC Relocation

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2000, 05:23

From what I uderstand you may have some problems if you break your contract: your school may report you to your local department of education and blacklist you. This means you will then not be able to work in Taiwan for 1 year.

Also, I have heard that there is a new requirement now if you wish to transfer to another school, even if you have completed your contract. Your old school has to provide you with a letter stating that they will 'allow' you to transfer to a new school.

This will of course not be provided, so that means a visa run to Hong Kong, and go through the whole process again!

Does anyone have any feedback on this


ARC Relocation

Postby Guest » 19 May 2001, 23:51

Regarding "the letter stating that they will allow you to transfer to a new school," or so-called "release letter" -----

this requirement is actually not specified in the relevant laws, so it seems to be something that the local Departments of Education are adding on to the existing work permit application requirements.

Technically speaking, that is illegal.

Have any other people run into this problem. I would be very interested in doing a test case on this to get the entire procedure relaxed or cancelled.

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 guests