Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Visa valid for 5 years

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Visa valid for 5 years

Postby Guest » 24 Jan 2001, 19:10


I have a US passport with a visitor visa valid for 5 years. It is a multiple entry visa for 60 days at a time. I was in Taiwan for 4 months, so I went to Korea for a weekend (not to a visa office, just for a visit) and came back to Taiwan with no problems. They just stamped my re-entry date and sent me on my merry way. Before my second 60-day stint was up, I came back to Michigan to sort some things out. I live in Detroit and am a professional musician.

My question is: If I go back to Taiwan, can I just keep going on little visa hops every two months until 2005? Am I still limited to six months in any given year?

Thanks in advance,

US Visa valid for 5 years

Postby Guest » 25 Jan 2001, 07:48

What you have is a short-term visitor visa, which is often also called a tourist visa. As you have stated, the type you have is valid for five years, and each stay may be sixty days. If this visa (in your passport) is not marked with any particular restrictions, it would also be possible for you to extend it in Taiwan for an additional sixty days, and then another sixty days, before leaving the country after six months.

Your problem is to find an acceptable reason to extend the visa in Taiwan. One common strategy is to sign up for full time Chinese language lessons at some local language school which is government approved. It also might be possible to find a calligraphy school, martial arts school, Chinese medicine school, or other schools that are government approved, and that have classes for foreigners.

After living in Taiwan for six months, you can go to H.K., Korea, or wherever and come back the same day or the next day. Then you can begin another period of stay in the ROC. There is no specific rule that denies you the right to be inside the ROC over six months per year on a short term visa. However, you have to renew at the end of each sixty days, and then you have to leave at the end of each six month period.

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests