Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

procedure for a visa run

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

procedure for a visa run

Postby Visitor » 22 Apr 2001, 14:39

What is the legal procedure for a visa run? I know I need to go to Hong Kong or somewhere, but what do I do while I'm there? Do I need to find the taiwan representative in HK and fill out the paperwork in HK? How long does it take to get the visa? I'm sure there is an easier and more efficient way? Any help from anybody would be great!

Thanks!

Crazy Laowai
Visitor

ORIGINAL POSTER

procedure for a visa run

Postby Visitor » 24 Apr 2001, 10:15

so this is secret information? I know everyone knows how to do it... How about letting a fellow laowai know... come on, I won't tell anybody...

crazy laowai
Visitor

ORIGINAL POSTER

procedure for a visa run

Postby Visitor » 24 Apr 2001, 10:46

If you want a 30 day visa you just need to turn around at the airport and pay some money when you come in. You need to have a return ticket though or at least some money or a credit card to shwo that you can afford one. I forgot once and it was a major hassle.

If you want a 60 day visa you can do it in a day if you really hurry. You have to drop off the application in the morning and pick it up after 4 or 4:30. Usually the 60 day visa is for study and you have to have all the documents form your school with you and a return ticket. It's in the Lippo building in central. Otherwise just dot he 30 day landing visa.

Bri
Visitor

ORIGINAL POSTER

procedure for a visa run

Postby Visitor » 25 Apr 2001, 07:08

Crazy Laowai

This is the way I did it

Have the following before you leave for HK

- A valid air ticket
out of Taiwan to somewhere els...maybe to your home country, Thailand, Philippines etc. The officials in the visa office in HK want to know that you have the means and are leaving Taiwan before the time limit expires on the visa. I always went to the British Airways desk in HK airport after changing the date of my flight.....and got the sticky thingy on my ticket to say I was leaving within thirty days (I am not too sure if this is a requirement though)
- Two photos
- Passport

- Plane ticket
Go Thai Airways usually 9000NTD, leaves in the morning at around 7.00(it is the first flight). Arrive HK at 9.15. Get off the airplane and go quickly to immigration.
Then get the airport train to HK. Buy return ticket to CENTRAL STATION.
When you arrive in CENTRAL STATION, you can either make a dash for the MTR(equivalent of the MRT) ..have some change with you..and go to ADMIRALTY station..be careful which train you get on in CENTRAL station. The MTR is more complicated than the MRT. Alternatively get out at central station and walk to the LIPPO building. It is this skyscraper that was featured in the Van Dame
Visitor

ORIGINAL POSTER

procedure for a visa run

Postby Visitor » 25 Apr 2001, 07:35

One more thing..correct me if I am wrong..if you do the turn around at the airport.. you recieve a landing visa when you arrive in CKS.. This is only valid for 15 days I think..and you can't transfer it to a resident visa.

Bangkok..stay clear of that place for a visa..some people get it easy but others are refused point blank..depends on the person on duty..I heard it is a nightmare..
Visitor

ORIGINAL POSTER

procedure for a visa run

Postby Visitor » 25 Apr 2001, 08:00

Bu Lai En

You are right..30 days can be gotten on a landing visa

Go to Lippo in HK for 60 days
Visitor

ORIGINAL POSTER

procedure for a visa run

Postby Visitor » 25 Apr 2001, 16:06

Thanks guys!

Crazy Laowai
Visitor

ORIGINAL POSTER

procedure for a visa run

Postby Visitor » 26 Apr 2001, 02:24

The "Zhonghua Travel Service" (more evidence that the government can't spell anything correctly Image: ) is located on the 40th floor of the Lippo Building. The phone number is 2525-8315.

As for money, that depends on what country your passport is from, at least for a vistor's visa.

Of course, if you have a multiple entry visa, you don't even have to leave the HK airport. When you apply, you might as well ask for one; maybe you'll get lucky, like I did.

Has anyone tried to get a visa in Macau?

--Cranky (glad I don't have to mess with visa runs any more)

------------------
www.romanization.com
Visitor

ORIGINAL POSTER

procedure for a visa run

Postby Visitor » 26 Apr 2001, 11:30

Oh, I thought I should point out that the 30 landing visa is only available to some nationalities, but it's most of the main western ones I think.

Actually I'm not sure why you'd want to go to the visa office in Hong Kong if you can just get the landing visa, unless you have soem way (such as being a student) of getting a 60 day visa. They are normally very strict about giving these out in Hong Kong (and most other places).

Bri
Visitor

ORIGINAL POSTER

procedure for a visa run

Postby Visitor » 27 Apr 2001, 00:25

Regulation of Visa-Exempt Entry and Landing Visa for
Foreign Nationals

http://www.boca.gov.tw/appli/exempte.htm
Visitor

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues